Moderator Control Panel ]

Can't tune in to any channels

Can't tune in to any channels

Postby timmydog » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:33 am

hello,

This was mentioned in another forum - http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8038, but I don't know if it has been reported properly and so might have slipped under the radar.

Anyway, the basic problem is that I can't tune in to any channels, with various apps including some command line utils and MythTV and the log file fills up with
Code: Select All Code
 [   27.940051] tbs62x0fe: tuner not responding - tune
 [   30.976028] tbs62x0fe: tuner not responding - init
 [   38.728024] tbs62x0fe: tuner not responding - init
 [   43.732021] tbs62x0fe: tuner not responding - init
 [   48.336025] tbs62x0fe: tuner not responding - tune
 [   48.392038] tbs62x0fe: tuner not responding - tune
 [   66.132021] tbs62x0fe: tuner not responding - tune
 [   66.216028] tbs62x0fe: tuner not responding - tune
 [   87.020026] tbs62x0fe: tuner not responding - init
 [   91.624024] tbs62x0fe: tuner not responding - tune

The client apps generally report the they cannot access the front end, that the resource is busy.

The board does not seem to be letting me attach the bmesg, lspci and uname output files. Shall I email them to you or post them somewhere else?

Thanks,

Tim
timmydog

Re: Can't tune in to any channels

Postby SergioDanielG » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:30 am

Hi timmydog.

Can you verify if another app is using the frontend because if the adapter is busy, generally is because an app is using it.
For example, if mythtv backend is started, you can't use the adapter with kaffeine.

Best regards.
SergioDanielG

Postby timmydog » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:09 pm

This starts showing up as soon as the machine is started up, so myth tv backend will be running, but there shouldn't be anything else.

I will double check tonight - I'm late for work already. :-(

The logs are here:
dmesg output http://pastebin.com/bZk4TtEA
lspci output http://pastebin.com/UhayaVy5
uname output: Linux dvr 3.2.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Jul 23 02:45:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks,

Tim
timmydog

Postby SergioDanielG » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi timmydog.
If this messages are at start is because some app start and use the adapter. This app is trying to tune and init the frontend.
Please, try to stop mythtv and run and post the output of "femon -H".

Best regards.
SergioDanielG

Postby cody » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:51 am

Tim, those messages not generally mean any problem, especially "tuner not responding - tune", because you will see such message also in case when some application is trying to tune frequency that is not valid, i.e. frequency that is without signal. so, the proper way to further diagnose this problem is to stop any applications that access the card and do several times:

# sudo rmmod saa716x_tbs-dvb
# sudo modprobe saa716x_tbs-dvb

and check if "tbs62x0fe: tuner not responding - init" is reported - if the log is clean then i suggest using 'tzap' and 'scan' to confirm the card can lock the signals in your area. however, if when no application access the card and just reload the 'saa716x_tbs-dvb' module with rmmod/modprobe causes "tbs62x0fe: tuner not responding - init" that most likely is some hardware fault, but at least currently it seems to me like some software issue, i.e. that mythtv backend tries to lock some frequencies without signal and as result of that are those messages.
cody

Postby timmydog » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:31 pm

cody Wrote:# sudo rmmod saa716x_tbs-dvb
# sudo modprobe saa716x_tbs-dvb

This didn't complete even after about 5 minutes. :-(

cody Wrote:... it seems to me like some software issue, i.e. that mythtv backend tries to lock some frequencies without signal and as result of that are those messages.

I took myth-backend out of the init startup scripts and rebooted, then tried mythtv-setup, retuned and it started finding channels and all seems to be working fine, so it seems like you're right.

It was probably caused by the fact that they just re-arranged all of the channels, to add some more in, after the relatively recent switch-off of the analogue channels.

Thanks for your help and suggestions everyone.

Now all I've got to do is find the script that puts the channels in the right order; I think that a browse of the myth tv wiki is in order...

Tim
timmydog

Return to Linux