Moderator Control Panel ]

Mythbuntu - issue with recognising card

Mythbuntu - issue with recognising card

Postby DaisyRose » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:59 pm

We are running Mythbuntu on an HP Proliant ML110 G7 PC.

We've installed the card, and followed the instructions to get the drivers installed, and as far as I could see, that seemed to go as expected. However when running the MythTV backend config, it doesn't find the card.
I've tried running lspci and lspci -m, but neither command shows any sign of a device that could be the TBS card. We updated the bios on the HP PC to be the latest version, but this hasn't made any difference.

It's possible that the card is faulty of course, but we don't have another PC to put it into , to check. Is there something else that would help us diagnose whether it is the card, or the drivers/configuration that is the problem? In particular should it be possible to 'see' the card somewhere even if the drivers aren't working? There are 4 PCI-e slots in the PC, and we've tried all of them. In addition we've tried it with and without the additional power to the card using the adapter supplied.

I'm thinking the next step is to try and install a back version of the drivers, but not keen to do that as we want the HD support, and I'd feel more comfortable doing that if I was happy the card is working.

Does anyone else have this configuration running?

I've been running Ubuntu as my main desktop client for 4 or 5 years, but don't make that many changes, so I'm by no means a Ubuntu expert at all, but I can find my way round ok usually on Linux systems.
DaisyRose

Re: Mythbuntu - issue with recognising card

Postby DaisyRose » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:10 am

hi - just an update, I've put the card into another PC running Windows and it did detect it ok - in terms of prompting for a device driver to be installed for it. I also installed the February version of the drivers - which made no difference at all.

So now I'm thinking it's an issue with the motherboard or some conflict with bios settings. However the PC is new, and there are no other PCI cards installed.

Suggestions welcome...
DaisyRose

Postby steven » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi DaisyRose

Thanks for your update,and it is like what you say that if your motherboard can not detect TBS6284,
it is the BIOS compatiable problem,because TBS6284 use NXP7160 bridge PCI-E1.0a, not all motherboard
have updated the BIOS ,so the solution about this problem is to update the BIOS.

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby DaisyRose » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi Steven

Thanks for your reply. The PC is an HP Proliant ML110 G7, and it was shipped with a BIOS of April 2011. I've now updated it to the latest which is Feb 2012, but it hasn't had any effect. I'm wondering whether this means the problem is with the motherboard/PC being faulty? We had bought some additional RAM (Kingston) which just beeps when inserted into the slots - we have tried both DIMM modules together (making sure they're in the paired sockets), and also individually as the sole module in the primary socket. When the RAM is inserted the machine won't power up at all and just beeps. However there is sufficient memory onboard for the timebeing so I've put that to one side for now, but am now wondering if it's a related problem.

Has anyone else used the HP Proliant series successfully for MythTV with the same or a similar configuration?

Thanks

Dawn
DaisyRose

Postby steven » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi DaisyRose

Maybe it is the reason like what you say,but the main reason i think is still the motherboard BIOS with PCI-E 1.0a compatible
problem,need to update the BIOS to fix this. :)

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby DaisyRose » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:34 am

ok thanks, we've raised a support problem with HP so will see what they say re the BIOS and support for the card.
DaisyRose

Postby DaisyRose » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:37 pm

Just an update. Have spoken to HP, who weren't actually that helpful, other than to say that they don't support any Tuner Cards, and have no intention of doing so. They also said they didn't think it would be an issue with the BIOS.

So plan now is to re-use this server as a NAS, and to purchase another PC to run the Mythbuntu backend.

Would really appreciate it if anyone has the TBS6284 working, if they could share the make and model of the machine it's running in...

Thanks
DaisyRose

Postby steven » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:00 am

Hi DaisyRose

You do not need to ask HP to support Tuner Cards,just ask them to support PCI-E 1.0a .
and do you have checked this:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=8055
Would you mind having a try like this.
Maybe this can help you.

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby DaisyRose » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:09 am

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. We have the latest BIOS, HP Proliant machines run Gen2 PCI-E, but are backwardly compatible with 1.0a.

In the setup, there is no option to manually set the PCI-E version, so we can't do that.

Not sure what else to try...

Thanks
DaisyRose

Postby DaisyRose » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:31 am

Success! It was the PCI-E setting, and after consulting some forums I managed to find out how to change it in the HP Proliant BIOS Config. For anyone else in the same\similar situation, go into the BIOS and select Power Management Options then Advanced Power Management Options then PCI Express Generation 2.0 Support.

Change this setting to Force PCI-E Generation 1. ESC out and F10 to reboot.

Card comes alive.

thank you for your help.
DaisyRose

Return to Linux