Moderator Control Panel ]

No hardware present

No hardware present

Postby schweiger » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:01 am

Thanks to tbsdtv-support I was able to run the TBS6618 card together with tvheadend. The reason for necessity of the support at that time was a weakness of the mainbord firmware (Asrock B75M), which had issues with the PCIe link speed, when set to AUTO.

Some weeks ago, I updated the firmware to R2.0 V1.60, re-installed the DVB-C card firmware and setup tvheadend. I was able to successfully program the timer and make recordings.

Since one week, newly programmed timer recordings did not succeed, the debug system log of tvheadend shows:
Code: Select All Code
Mar 08 18:27:22.000 Service: Subscription "DVR: ...(Title)...": Probing adapter "_dev_dvb_adapter0_TurboSight_TBS_6618_DVBC_frontend514000000" with weight 300 for service "TurboSight TBS 6618 DVBC frontend/M-net: 514,000 kHz/PHOENIX HD"

Mar 08 18:27:24.000 Service: Subscription "DVR: ...(Title)...": Adding adapter "_dev_dvb_adapter0_TurboSight_TBS_6618_DVBC_frontend514000000" for service "TurboSight TBS 6618 DVBC frontend/M-net: 514,000 kHz/PHOENIX HD"

Mar 08 18:27:24.000 Service: Subscription "DVR: ...(Title)...": Probing adapter "_dev_dvb_adapter0_TurboSight_TBS_6618_DVBC_frontend514000000" without stealing for service "TurboSight TBS 6618 DVBC frontend/M-net: 514,000 kHz/PHOENIX HD"

Mar 08 18:27:24.000 Service: Subscription "DVR: ...(Title)...": Unable to use "TurboSight TBS 6618 DVBC frontend/M-net: 514,000 kHz/PHOENIX HD" -- No hardware present

This output shows, the the respective DVB-C card has been already in use by the tvheadend installation and saved in its database, otherwise it wouldn't be able to search for it.
The very last message gave me the hint to check the dmesg for the TBS6618, and: I found no output that notes the DVB-C card. So I tried some modifications:
  1. Re-Install all drivers (sudo su, then goto install directory: cd /root/tbs/linux-tbs-drivers, finally make && make install), no success.
  2. Try all combinations of UEFI firmware for PCIe link speed: AUTO, GEN1, GEN2, GEN3 (see image attached). All of them with the TBS6618 in both PCIe slot #1 and afterwards in PCIe slot #2. No success.
I do not know how to proceed now. As you folks seem to be able to read all secrets from the logfiles :) I would like to ask you to have a look at the files attached and give me feedback which step I should go next.
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
dvb.zip
dmesg, lspci and uname output
(18 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
140308_p1030872.jpg
Photo of the UEFI setup screen
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you...
schweiger

Re: No hardware present

Postby cody » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:21 pm

unfortunately, that sounds to me like the PCIe interface on your 6618 developed some fault, it has nothing to do with your previous issue and it's just coincidence. so, at this point the only possible step is to send that card back for replacement.
cody

Postby crazycat » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 am

maybe usеd in PCIe x16 3.0 slot (connected directly to CPU) ?
crazycat

Postby schweiger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:34 pm

crazycat Wrote:maybe usеd in PCIe x16 3.0 slot (connected directly to CPU) ?

As I wrote, I've tried the card in both PCIe slots:
  • PCIE1 (PCIE 3.0 x16 slot)
  • PCIE2 (PCIE 2.0 x16 slot)
schweiger

Postby crazycat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:04 am

better connect to pcie x1 :)
crazycat

Postby schweiger » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:23 am

cody Wrote:unfortunately, that sounds to me like the PCIe interface on your 6618 developed some fault, it has nothing to do with your previous issue and it's just coincidence. so, at this point the only possible step is to send that card back for replacement.

I've returned the card to the dealer and they told me they have been able to detect the card.
Now I'm completely confused. What does this mean?
According to the old engineers-wisdom: "I've not changed anything", anyhow the card has no more been detected by my computer.
As I've written: I've made several recordings on one day successfully, and the next day all recordings got fail. So it seems, that something has been broken. But if it's not the card, is it really possible that both PCIe ports of my motherboard got broken at the same time? Is there any possibility to check the proper functionality of the PCIe ports using Linux methods without a respective hardware plugged in into the port?

Concerning the UEFI of the board: You wrote you have a computer with the same board in your offices. Checking all menues and also the manual, I cannot find more posibilites of change settings beside the PCIe1 link speed. So what else can I try around in order to get the card detected...?

Thanks very much in advance!
schweiger

Postby cody » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:07 pm

yes, i have Asrock B75M motherboard and all TBS cards (because 6618 uses the same PCIe interface as the rest) work in all PCIe slots on that motherboard - connect to the CPU directly or not. the only thing necessary is to set "PCIe Link Speed" in BIOS manually to prevent auto-detection from failing.

so, i'm confused as much as you're - i mean if both 6618 and Asrock B75M are in good heath and without fault they work just fine together. so, one of them must be broken and if your 6618 is confirmed as working then it must be the motherboard.

however, maybe, there is option in-the-middle : contact of your 6618 in the PCIe slots was bad and due to oxidation the gold-fingers on the PCIe plug of the card lost ability for good contact, then when you sent it back and it was inserted into new (maybe more tight) PCIe slot they got scratched by the pins of the slot, the layer of oxidation removed and the good contact restored.

i really have no idea, because i expected just the re-seller to send you new board, no matter what their tests of your current 6618 board shows.
cody

Return to Linux