Moderator Control Panel ]

Driver issues / overheating of 3x TBS5680 connected to NAS

Driver issues / overheating of 3x TBS5680 connected to NAS

Postby DoubleT » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Recently, I bought 3 TBS5680 tuners to use on a Synology DS1513+ with the DVBLogic software.

It worked reasonably well, until I update the system towards the DSM 5.0 software version as well as the corresponding DVBlogic package (4.7.0)..

uname -a
Linux DiskStation 3.2.40 #4458 SMP Thu Mar 20 22:09:30 CST 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_cedarview_1513+

After changing to these software versions, I noticed that all 3 tuners, when switched on become really hot (almost not able to touch). Even without tuning to a specific station.

First issue
I'm now suffering from multiple crashes / stalls of the DVBlogic package, where the dmesg output is clearly pointing towards a driver issue from TBS...

Attached the dmesg output files

dmesg_output-20140403.zip is the original file, where the tuners have been used during the afternoon to watch television, crash of driver in the evening

dmesg_output-20140403a.zip is a crash directly after restarting of the NAS and a tuning request from one of the clients.

In the end, resolved it by disconnecting the tuners (power), restart of NAS (at the moment that the NAS was back up, the tuners were cool again ( within ~5 min), stop DVBLink, reconnect the power to the tuners and restart DVBlink...

Note that I shutdown the NAS during the night.

See also my posts at the dvblogic forum (user Double T): http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=27341

Second issue

When the driver is not crashing, after some operational time, I am suffering from incomplete tuning requests; no signal / stream available from the tuners.... again at a moment that the tuners are really hot..

See also my topic at the dvblogic forum (user: Double T) with additional dmesg output files http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=27229

Since all 3 tuners are acting the same, I would exclude a hardware issue....

I understood from DVBLogic that there was a driver change with the latest release, and that they are working together with you to resolve the issue...

Please support, provide an action plan how to resolve the issues mentioned above; currently the 3 tuners are not capable to be used for the purpose where I bought them for....
DoubleT

Re: Driver issues / overheating of 3x TBS5680 connected to N

Postby tom1502 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:02 pm

any results here?
i am running into issues too...
honestly i am dissapointed and think it was a mistake to buy a TBS product if i read through the internet...
tom1502

Return to Linux