Moderator Control Panel ]

Problems with Windows 8 and TV card.

Problems with Windows 8 and TV card.

Postby vimes » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi

I had been using the TBS 8920 card fine with my Windows 7 x64 installation.
However I did a fresh install of Windows 8 and whilst it picks the card up fine...

I have found that when using ANY application it will not find any channels at all.

I have tried the TV server of Media Portal and the paid for application that I would normally use DVB Viewer.

When I try and do a channel scan (UK with 28.2 Astra sat being scanned) it will show a good signal strength etc in the scanning menu but will find zero channels.

The driver version 1.0.6.2 is the latest provided by TBS but as yet nothing seems to help for the application to be able to find channels with the card.

As noted it did work fine with Windows 7 x64.

Here is a screen shot showing the DVB Viewer application doing a channel scan - it will find no channels....

I have checked the SAT connection and it appears ok but I do not have the time etc to go back to Windows 7 .

Any ideas please...?
vimes

Re: Problems with Windows 8 and TV card.

Postby steven » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi vimes

From the information you give to us,It is very strange, Do you use the same drier version which you
are using in Windows 7 ?

And do you have another PCI slot ,if you have can you change the slot and have a test again in
Windows 8 .

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby vimes » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:35 am

I have tried the second PCI slot on the Gigabyte Z77 D3H motherboard - with no change. The drivers are picked up automatically by Windows 8 and I have tried both of these choices....

delete the drivers that I used by Windows 8 and install the ones noted on the TBS website.

Use the drivers that come with Windows 8.

However both give me the same result - no TV channels found.

I have tried to run the application (DVB Viewer) in compatibility mode but nothing seems to get any TV channels to be found.

When I have some time I will pop in a spare drive and install Windows 7 just to make sure that there isn't a fault with the LNB or dish alignment BUT if there was a problem in that way then I should not see nearly a full signal - if I remove the cable I get no signal.

It has got me a little stumped here because it was working great with W 7 x64.
vimes

Postby smile » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 am

Hi vimes

Did you have opened the other TV service ? and the service take the card ! Would you mind use the other soft to check the card look status ? for example ALTDVB or TransEdit !

Thanks!!!
smile

Postby vimes » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks for the reply....

not sure what to make of the above but as yet I am not having much luck :(
vimes

Postby vimes » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:39 am

Well I can confirm for sure that it is a problem with Windows 8 and the TV card.

Installing Windows 7 x64 on a spare drive and the card will work a treat with no issues at all. All the channels are found in whatever application that I use to look for them.

With Windows 8 the card simply will not find any channels at all even though the drivers are installed.

This is the card working after Windows 7 installed....

Any solution for this please, apart from not use Windows 8....?
vimes

Postby steven » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi vimes

Do you mind if we having a remote check with your windows 8 /
If ok ,you can send your remote information to us Windows remote and
TeamViewer both is ok for us.

kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby vimes » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks for the offer Steven, I will probably take you up on that - using Team Viewer.

But first I will restore the imaged Windows 8 to my backup drive (I am now using Windows 7x64 as the primary for the HTPC on my SSD). I am using Macrium Reflect software to do that.

Then I would like to try out a known working TV application for Windows 8 - I am not sure of what else to try...?

I am thinking that the issue might be with the software (DVB Viewer) rather than with the card, per se.

I am just going to take a look at any Cyberlink offerings once the Macrium software has restored the Windows 8 install to my spare HD.

I will report back with the results.
vimes

Postby vimes » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:21 pm

Woot success...

This is what I did to get the card working under Windows 8....

This is another fresh install of Windows 8 and this time I not only removed the drivers which Windows by default found fro the card (even though they have the TBS signature and the same version number attributed to them) I also deleted them from Windows itself. This caused on the next boot for Windows to be unable to find any drivers.

Then I applied the drivers that TBS have released and installed those and ignored any warnings.

Then I installed and registered DVB Viewer (paid for) and immediately it found all the channels that I needed and simply worked.

I am guessing that even though I had installed the TBS drivers on the prior install of Windows 8 somehow W8 was picking up and using its own (they have the same date and driver version) but whatever it was doing it simply would not work.

Now it does :)

BBC HD....

Hope this thread might be of use to someone else who has issues.
vimes

Postby FOXUIO » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:34 am

what version of windows 8 have you?,
I I have with windows 8 64bit Pro, and does not work, does not scan channels, but I have excellent signal quality.
FOXUIO

Return to Windows