Moderator Control Panel ]

Windows 7 x64 blue screen after hypernate(solved)

Re: Windows 7 x64 blue screen after hypernate

Postby steven » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Ben Wrote:Installed the driver and tried a resume from hibernate and it worked, but only that once. Problem appears exactly as was (i.e. BSOD when Media Centre attempts to access the tuner) and cant reporduce the sucessful resume.

I am using a usb slave power cable so everytime the machine hibernates the Q-BOx powers down, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Can someone please give me some advice on what Usb setting need to be tweaked on Win7 x86 as I don't know where to start.

Many thanks,

Ben

Hi ben
would you mind try this new version:
http://hotfile.com/dl/123222088/25ccd4b ... e.rar.html
Thanks
steven

Re: Windows 7 x64 blue screen after hypernate

Postby MajorTom » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:50 pm

I have the driver running now for about 2 Days, and 6 - 7 wake ups from hypernate. Until now no blue screen. I never went this long without a blue screen. I will test a few days more and will report back here in the forum.

I testet so far only with the TBSViewer. In a few days i will try the Windows Media Center, and try recordings with WMC so the timer waks up the PC from hypernate.

@ steven
Are you the programmer of the driver?

Thomas
MajorTom

Re: Windows 7 x64 blue screen after hypernate(solved)

Postby steven » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:30 am

Hi MajorTom
Yes i am. :)
Thanks
steven

Postby MajorTom » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:38 am

Hallo,

soory for late responce.

With the WMC i still have a lot of problems. After i used WMC i get sometimes a blue screen, after returning from Hypernate. If i don't start WMC most of the time the device is not avalible. So i have to unplug it wait a few seconds and reconnect it.

Thomas
MajorTom

Postby steven » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:46 pm

MajorTom Wrote:Hallo,

soory for late responce.

With the WMC i still have a lot of problems. After i used WMC i get sometimes a blue screen, after returning from Hypernate. If i don't start WMC most of the time the device is not avalible. So i have to unplug it wait a few seconds and reconnect it.

Thomas

Hi MajorTom

What about other palyer?like DVBDream or TBSView,is it ok?

Thanks
steven

Postby jw300 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 am

I have a similar problem, though I use the Sleep (S3) function with the PC in Standby. Sometimes when coming out of Sleep, sometimes at other times, the system will crash.

I tried to do some investigation. The crashes are mostly "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE", code 0x9F, caused by Kernel. WinDbg points to the usbhub.sys driver as probable cause:
"A driver is causing an inconsistent power state.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time"
Microsoft's KB982091 suggests a similar problem occurs with AMD USB controllers, following cycling of power on and standby states, and suggests a registry fix. My chipset is NVidia, but I added the fix anyway - system has crashed again since.

Crashes are often preceded by a period of unresponsiveness. Sometimes I can disconnect the device and power cycle it, then operation is restored, but I can't do that when the system is unattended (recording TV).

Some crashes are "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)", which WinDbg blames on S2QBOX.sys. It also mentions "PROCESS_NAME: ehrecvr.exe", which is a Media Center process.

To see if I could get any further information, I turned on Windows Driver Verifier. The PC crashed on re-boot, with "DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION (c9)". WinDbg stated:
"The IO manager has caught a misbehaving driver.
Arguments:
Arg1: 000000000000023b, The caller has changed the status field of an IRP it does not understand."
and
"Probably caused by : HIDCLASS.SYS ( HIDCLASS!HidpMajorHandler+0 )"

This data means little to me, but it seems to confirm the problems are with the USB-QBox interface, rather than some other device. I can send crash dumps or fuller analysis results if required.

These crashes are making the device too unreliable to use as a recording source. I hope that you can find and fix the problem(s).
jw300

Postby jw300 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:03 am

I should add that, on PC restart after a crash, the QBox is unusable ("USB Device is not recognised") until unplugged and re-connected.

I am using the latest driver - 2.0.4.6
jw300

Postby steven » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:49 am

Hi jw300

Do you have used usbhub or Camera, Portable Hard Disk,
if you have used these,would you mind remove it and have a test again.

Thanks
steven

Postby jw300 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Current USB devices are:
- wireless keyboard & mouse - always been on system
- Infra-red remote receiver - used with Windows MCE-compatible remote (TBS one not used)
- QBox II
- KWorld 499U DVB-T dual tuner - added a couple of weeks ago

The IR Receiver may have been connected when I ran the Driver Verifier. It does not respond during sleep mode, so may have some issues of its own. It could have been the cause of the Violation - "HIDCLASS.SYS" I don't believe it could be related to the crashes, as it has not been in regular use and was not connected during most of the crashes. The keyboard/mouse dongle and the QBox are the only two USB devices to have been connected permanently over the period crashes have been occurring.

Comparing Windows power events with kernel BSODs, almost every dump file is timed between 12 and 13 minutes after the system resumes from sleep. The crash itself is almost exactly 10 minutes after resume. Analysis of the most recent crash gave:
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver is causing an inconsistent power state.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000004, The power transition timed out waiting to synchronize with the Pnp
subsystem.
Arg2: 0000000000000258, Timeout in seconds.
Arg3: 0000000000000000, The thread currently holding on to the Pnp lock.
Arg4: fffff80000b9c510

If the timeout is in hex, that would be 600 in decimal - 10 minutes, the time between resume from sleep and the crash.

Although most of the kernel events analyse to module usbhub.sys, they nearly all include the statement:
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_S2QBOX_IMAGE_usbhub.sys
I don't have the skills to analyse further.

Something else I spotted in Windows Event Viewer is lots of Kernel-Power events, ID40:
The driver \Driver\TBS_QBOXS2BDA for device USB\VID_734C&PID_5928\5&2d14d68b&0&1 stopped the power transition.

The times of these events seem to coincide with transition to sleep mode, but don't seem to have stopped the transition. Wake up events record the same times for entry to sleep mode.

Since the last BSOD on 23 Sep., I have disabled power-saving options on the machine. It now only enters sleep mode on command, either through the start menu or from my TV recording application.
jw300

Postby littlewave » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Hi Steven,
I'm having the same problem as jw300 and MajorTom: the latest driver, WMC, windows 7 x64, the same stopped power transition in the event viewer just prior to entering sleep, the same BSOD, and the same subsequent failure to recognise the qbox until the power supply is removed.
Simply leaving the computer on permanently isn't a resolution but does point to the problem lying in the way the box/driver deals with sleep mode.

I was hoping that as at least three people have posted with the same issue we might be able to get someone to look at it. I use this box as my main tv for the household and although busy would he happy to help test fixes.

Many thanks.
littlewave

PreviousNext

Return to Windows