Moderator Control Panel ]

WARNING: QBox II power brick not earthed! It's bloody hell!

WARNING: QBox II power brick not earthed! It's bloody hell!

Postby mpmc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:41 am

Hi all.

Overall I've been happy with the QBox until I plugged the the device's USB connector into my PC's USB which is next to the Ethernet port.

It would seem that the power brick isn't earthed and is using the Ethernet port to earth itself, causing the Ethernet connector, VDSL modem and router to drop connection until the device is unplugged.

I've been using the device via a travel adapter to convert it to UK 3 pin plug, I've just this moment replaced the 2 pin connector with a UK 3 Pin and the problem still exists!

:shock:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
mpmc

Re: WARNING: QBox II power brick not earthed! It's bloody he

Postby jw300 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:02 am

This type of adaptor is rarely earthed. It should be double insulated.

What is likely to be happening is that RF noise from the supply is coupling to the cables, though it's strong enough to propagate by other media. On mine, the noise was probably getting through the mains and affecting my DSL connection, which was not connected directly to the PC. See the thread in this forum from a few months ago. Another user found it interfering with AM radio reception.

The noise is significantly worse when the box is tuned.

I suggest you drop an email to TBS tech support, whom I found very helpful in curing the problem.
jw300

Re: WARNING: QBox II power brick not earthed! It's bloody he

Postby mpmc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:24 am

Thanks, I will do.

Didn't think this would be so much hassle =/
mpmc

Return to Linux