Moderator Control Panel ]

a question: frozen System with Q-Box S2

a question: frozen System with Q-Box S2

Postby fraham » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:46 pm

hello Linux-user,

has anyone observed, that a Linux-Computer freezes for mysterious reasons, because the Q-Box S2 is connectet to Computer?

- Freeze because the Box is connectet, but you no wathing TV
- you must restart the System by Switch off the power supply
- Computer stuck into the BIOS by the initialization the USB-Ports, because the Q-BOX is frozen (and needs a reset by plug out the power cord or plug out the USB connection) after the Computer hangs
- after "reset" of the Q-Box the System will boot without Problems

I ask this question out of pure interest, because I have found this problem on Windows and Linux and it seems to be a hardware problem
fraham

Re: a question: frozen System with Q-Box S2

Postby updatelee » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:41 pm

What does Kern.log show when this happens?
UDL
TBS6925/5980, Prof 7301/7500/8000, Genpix Skywalker-1, Skystar 2 Express HD
Hauppauge 950Q, Kworld 330U/435v3/445v3
Dreambox 800

I use Linux and support open source projects.
updatelee

Postby fraham » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:45 am

Actually, it was my only question is whether anyone has ever seen this problem...

But to answer your question:
Sorry, my Problem ist, that i had test the Linux-OS (Mint) as a newcomer... Therefore, I have too little experience with Linux. So i not have looked to the kern.log

I was just surprised that the already on Windows observed problem occurs under Linux: System hangs, because the box is frozen.
(please look also to my thread in the Windows area: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8827)
I had think, that my under Windows observed Problem is a Problem of Windows. But the same Problem was also under Linux (that's only i missing under Linux: the Windows blue screen :roll: :lol: )

I suspect that I had set the jumpers on the motherboard for the +5 V USB power wrong: permanent +5 V to "ON" instead to "OFF".

Setting the jumper to "Off" has once shown the success that the system is running now much more stable under Windows: For 3 days only once hung (blue screen).
Thereupon I checked again under Windows the power settings for the USB ports and all ports in question for this one "+5 V jumper" are set so that Windows can not shut down these ports, thus not saving energy on these ports.
Since then have passed two more days without a Crash. (i will observe it for the next time)

Because Linux is completely new territory for me, now I not know whether there are also energy-saving settings for the USB ports under linux and where i could set this settings.

If it turns out that under the current Windows settings the system is stabilize, so there are no more crashes, it could well be possible that switching off energy saving functions under Linux also leads to success.

But a problem will still remain: Should they hang the box once, the box must then manually disconnected for reset the box.
fraham

Postby updatelee » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:27 am

I have a TBS Qbox2ci (5980) not sure if thats the one your referring to.

I havent any issues like you describe, I only use Linux.

In a separate console type

/var/log/kern.log is timestamped, when you boot it it starts a 0 and counts up in ms. If it locks up, reboot it like you have been, then open /var/log/kern.log and scroll to the bottom (thats all the stuff thats just happened on the new bootup) so scroll up till you find where the bootup your on started, everything before that is the crash. Look for things like "kernel oops" it'll be the last stuff before the reboot.

UDL
TBS6925/5980, Prof 7301/7500/8000, Genpix Skywalker-1, Skystar 2 Express HD
Hauppauge 950Q, Kworld 330U/435v3/445v3
Dreambox 800

I use Linux and support open source projects.
updatelee

Postby fraham » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:25 am

OK, than i have to look to this file, when I test Linux again and it will crash.

Just as I was about to reply to them, Windows is again crashed with a blue screen and the Q-BOX have been stuck. :evil:

My Q-Box is the TBS Q-BOX S2 without SI. It is the older Q-BOX II version that will report back "5928". (the newer Version will report back 5929).

Because the computer freeze alike on Windows and on Linux and the Q-Box also freezes, I suspect that I may have a hardware conflict.

under Windows the blue Screen says: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

I think, that the one device "ask" but the othe device not "responding" to the "quests".
So the communication between the Computer and the Q-BOX is broken and both devices will freeze.

I have the very great fear that the Q-Box itself is the problem
fraham

Postby fraham » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:19 pm

Yesterday i flashed the latest BIOS update.

Let's see what happens next time on Windows. If the system under Windows run stable, I will try Linux Mint again.

I will report...
fraham

Postby fraham » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:05 pm

16.02. 2014 MS Windows has issued a new blue Screen ...

In the last time I can not really test LINUX...

(there are somthing to do, what i do with WINDOWS. In this time i have not the needed aplications for LINUX, so that i can do it with LINUX. Before i look for the needed aplications, i want to have a stable System.)
fraham

Postby xite » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:08 am

I have the same issue with my TV Software. After using the Q-Box for an hour or two the program freezes.
First i thought, it must be an software issue. I updated all the drivers and the TV software. Nothing helped.

Then, after a nother crash, i restart the PC an put an ice bag on the box. Everything works fine.
So in my opinion, the Q-Box 2 have an termal issue. Today i opened the housing of the box. Hope that will help against the overheat. Next step will be to but an heat sink on the TV chip.
xite

Return to Linux