Moderator Control Panel ]

Strong Artefacts - Questionable SNR and high BER

Re: Strong Artefacts - Questionable SNR and high BER

Postby kvaster » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Unfortunatelly I have no experience personnaly in writing such stuff and Luis said that he can do nothing without real hardware in his hands, cause he need to sniff i2c bus using oscilloscope in order to detect what should be initialized.

Talking about 'TBS frontend drivers some buggy, often crash' are you talking about Luis version or about closed source drivers from TBS ?
kvaster

Postby crazycat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:23 am

precompiled closed-source binaries
crazycat

Postby kvaster » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:46 pm

They just DON'T WORK as they should.

TBS, why are you not answering at all ???
kvaster

Postby dpdpkpcom » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Yes, I do thnk TBS would do wonders for their reputation by commenting more and more importantly taking action to resolve what is obviously an issue.
dpdpkpcom

Postby kvaster » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:20 pm

I've made lot's of testing. Opensource driver works now thanks to Luis. I can see far less problems with opensource drivers (at least I see no 'hangs'). But it seems that my problem is really in hardware, cause I can see artifats while watching HD channels (any high bit rate channel). Other tuners works fine in this setup. I have ASUS Z87 DELUXE Motherboard and using linux with vdr installed. It seems that I need to change this card to something else :(
kvaster

Postby BeMax » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Does TBS6982 (dual DVB-S/S2) have the same issues ?
BeMax

Postby dpdpkpcom » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:32 am

kvaster Wrote:I've made lot's of testing. Opensource driver works now thanks to Luis. I can see far less problems with opensource drivers (at least I see no 'hangs'). But it seems that my problem is really in hardware, cause I can see artifats while watching HD channels (any high bit rate channel). Other tuners works fine in this setup. I have ASUS Z87 DELUXE Motherboard and using linux with vdr installed. It seems that I need to change this card to something else :(

Does the open source driver work with the tbs6985 ?

Thanks

dp
dpdpkpcom

Postby slaine » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:12 pm

I have the same problem with cc errors (about 50 errors/hour). But if I run stress tool on Ubuntu (enough for 1 core of 4: “stress – c 1”) the cc errors disappeared (0 errors for 5 hours). I’m not Linux/HW expert so I don’t know what does it means. Can someone help me to interpret/solve this problem?
My system:
MB: Supermicro X10SBA (J1900 chipset), Bios v.: R 1.0c
TV card: TBS6985
OS: Ubuntu server 14.0.4.1 (3.13.0-35-generic), TBS Driver – 140819, MSI enabled,
TVheadend: 3.4.28

Thanx and sorry for my English.
slaine

Postby dpdpkpcom » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:38 pm

Well, I've took the plunge.

Luis Alves' open source driver has a question mark next to whether it works with the TBS6985 card, but I 've installed it.

The state of affairs before was that I couldn't reliably record HD stuff on the TBS6985 with the TBS driver and so had told Mythtv to only record non-HD versions. The open source driver definitely records standard definition stuff and I've switched all my listings to the HD versions, so fingers crossed, but I'm quietly confident it will be ok with HD versions. I'll report back after a few weeks of testing.

Certainly in the 15 minutes of HD viewing I did last night, there were zero artefacts or issues.

Fingers well and truly crossed.

To get the open source driver, search for "Luis Alves open source TBS driver" that worked for me. (without the quotes)

dp
dpdpkpcom

Postby dpdpkpcom » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:46 am

Spoke too soon.

Sat down to watch first recorded HD program, and artefacts galore. No better than the TBS driver.

All the SD programs recorded today are fine however.

:-(

Now, to change Mythtv back to only record SD programs !

:-(

dp
dpdpkpcom

PreviousNext

Return to Linux