Moderator Control Panel ]

TBS6982 Not recognised in Dell PowerEdge T20 Server

TBS6982 Not recognised in Dell PowerEdge T20 Server

Postby DannyD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:34 am

Hi All,

I have a Dell PowerEdge T20 Server and a TBS6982 DVB-S2 Dual Tuner PCIe Card.
The server is running Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS,
with (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-104-generic x86_64) kernel.

The problem is that the T20 does not see the Tuner card at all,
it does not appear in lspci or in the T20's BIOS.
The BIOS reports the PCIe slot as (Empty).

Can anyone help as Dell tech themselves are not being very helpful, and just telling me that it is not compatible and the tuner card is not one of the cards listed in table 13 below.

Also does anyone know what PCIe version the TBS6982 is and is there a Tech Guide anywhere ?

Thanks

Danny

I have tested the graphics card in both of the PCIe x16 slots and it works in both
I have tested the TBS6982 in both PCIe x16 and the PCIe x1 slot and it is not recognized in any of them
I have tested the TBS6982 in my son's test PC and the TBS6982 card is recognized.

I know from the Dell tech manual that the PCIe slots are as follows :-

PCIe expansion
PCIe connectivity is integrated with the processor. The T20 supports up to four PCIe slots. PCI card
dimensions are outlined in Table 13.
• 1x PCIe x16 slot 3.0
• 1x PCIe x16 (wired x4) slot 2.0
• 1x PCIe x1 slot 2.0
• 1x PCI 32/33 slot

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slot 1 - Type: PCIe x16 3.0 - Voltage Supported: 3.3V/12V - Max Height: 4.38 in/11.13 cm (full height)- Max Length: 6.6 in/16.77 cm (half length)
Max Wattage: 75* - Cards Supported: Graphics, Gigabit NIC, Parallel/Serial
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slot 2 - Type: PCIe x1 2.0 - Voltage Supported: 3.3V/12V - Max Height: 4.38 in/11.13 cm (full height) - Max Length: 6.6 in/16.77 cm (half length) Max Wattage: 25 - Cards Supported: Gigabit NIC, Parallel/Serial
Slot 3 - Type: PCI - Voltage Supported: 3.3V/5V/12V/-12V - Max Height: 4.38 in/11.13 cm (full height) - Max Length: 6.6 in/16.77 cm (half length Max Wattage: 25 - Cards Supported: 1394
Slot 4 - Type: PCIe x16 (x4) 2.0 - Voltage Supported: 3.3V/12V - Max Height: 4.38 in/11.13 cm (full height) - Max Length: 6.6 in/16.77 cm (half length) - Max Wattage: 25* - Cards Supported: Graphics, Gigabit NIC, Parallel/Serial
Table 13. PCI card dimensions

Dell PowerEdge T20 Technical Guide Page 17
DannyD

Re: TBS6982 Not recognised in Dell PowerEdge T20 Server

Postby steven » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 am

Hi

Please check this issue :
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=8478

For your Dell server please have a try Update the BIOS to latest version and set the BIOS link speed to Gen1.

If still can not detect you can try our TBS6904 which is using new PCI-E bridge not the 1.0a .

Thanks

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby DannyD » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply.

I have already updated the BIOS to the latest version

In the BIOS there is no Gen1 setting for PCIe slots

The only setting in the BIOS relating to PCI is to enable or disable the PCI slot
No settings at all for any of the 3 PCIe slots.

I read the post you linked in your reply, which is very interesting.

That post also has a link to PCI-SIG

In fact, all PCIe interfaces we use are PCI-SIG certified, which is a fact that can be checked here:
http://www.pcisig.com/developers/compli ... list/pcie/

However the PCI-SIG link is now broken.
I would like to use this to help me get Dell to fix this problem.
Can you provide me with any proof that the TBS6982 is PCIe 1.0a certified ?

I have confirmed that Dell are members of PCI-SIG and find it interesting that on the PCI-SIG members page it states the following.

Membership

Founded in 1992, Peripheral Component Interconnect Special Interest Group (PCI-SIG) is an association of 700+ industry companies committed to advancing its non-proprietary peripheral component interconnect (PCI) technology by:

Defining PCI specifications to deliver required I/O functionality
Adapting PCI technology to future applications
Maintaining backward compatibility with previous specifications
Supporting industry-wide product development by offering compliance and interoperability test support

Its the "Maintaining backward compatibility with previous specifications" that is most interesting.

I have spent over 2 hours on the phone to Dell's Technical Support so far and they are not being very helpful !!!

They imply that their T20 server is not compatible with PCIe 1.0a because their documentation states it is PCIe 2.0 and 3.0.

They also state that their PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 slots only work with "Graphics, Gigabit NIC, Parallel/Serial".

I am not sure what planet Dell are on but to have a server that only works with Graphics Cards, one manufacturer of NIC card and "Parallel/Serial" is insane.

Also i am unsure what Dell mean by "Parallel/Serial" surely your TBS6982 is Parallel/Serial what else could it be !!!!

Please send me anything you can to support this as i intend not to give up with this.

Thanks Danny
DannyD

Postby steven » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:50 am

Hi

For our tuner card we can do nothing now , only need the Dell update the BIOS to added PCI-E 1.0a support .
Some mother board do not want to update the BIOS so this why we make a new card do not use PCI-E 1.0a .

Thanks

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby DannyD » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply.

Just an update.

I have received a call from Dell Technical Department yesterday 15 Jan 2018

They inform me that their engineering department have audited this problem and are now investigating it.

I am also informed by Dell that they are in contact with your technical team.
Dell are also asking me for more detail of my BIOS Version and settings, which I will provide.

Danny
DannyD

Postby steven » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi DannyD

Thanks for your update , current we have not get message from Dell yet

Thanks

kind Regards

steven
steven

Return to Linux