Moderator Control Panel ]

ACER REVO 70 - Mini PCIE TV CARD HELP ?

ACER REVO 70 - Mini PCIE TV CARD HELP ?

Postby IXL » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi chaps.

I have the kit below and have a couple of questions... and I would be extremely grateful if anyone can help. ( I only got mine yesterday )

I have this model spec:

Acer Revo RL70 Nettop PC, AMD E450 1.65GHz Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB ( actually turned out to arrive as 640G HD) HDD, NOOPT, AMD HD6320, Wifi, HDMI, Windows 7 Home Premium 64. Includes a Wireless Mouse and Keyboard. No remote.

I want to use mine as a mediacentre pc. Having used several standard pc's with atx or matx cases in the past, this kit seems to be more ideal. However I will want to use it for freeview TV. ( I dont have satelite and dont want it, just normal TV will be fine. ). I currently use a DVB-T receiver card ( standard PCI ) and watch & record tv through this sort of device with Windows 7 Media Centre, but obviously one that will perhaps fit internally into the Revo70. .

What I noticed on the Revo, was the TV bung on the corner. Having seen this youtube on it, it got me thinking. . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GcUWEhHaZM

I havent seen ( or was able to see one when I purchased ) a spec with a fitted TV card and socket on it, so mine doesnt have one.

Can one be fitted? I see there is the micro pci-e slot available... Could one be fitted and run a cable and somehow fit a ariel socket on where the hole is?

These pics I took to help. You will see the soldered sockets, but naturally, I wont be "soldering" a socket in, if I managed to get one, but somehow there must be a way to fix one in... assuming I can get a card, cable and socket.

I was looking at something like this, ( Example only - TBS7610 DVB-C TV Tuner PCIe Mini Card - There doesnt seem to be a forum area for it ) but not sure how the internal cabling would work, or rather, if it is supplied... along with the socket for a standard ariel plug.

If this isnt possible, I was thinking of something like the PCTV 290e, a USB external tuner reciever. However, this seems like a good model, ESP being HD, can anyone recommend this or an alternative one?

Before I got my REVO 70, I asked around about the blu ray version. The ones that I could only find we're the Linux version, which would not of been a problem, but also know-one could clarify if it was fitted with the radeon and if it was dual core and wi-fi or not. (Every other model stated these, so I went for my model instead. ( I never saw one with a tv card pre-installed until yesterday on the YouTube post - damn... lol )

Also, I have the Microsoft Media Remotes, but these dont seem to work on the Revo. I thought it would...as it has a built in infrared reciever... For now, im using an external receiver.. just wondered if anyone had got around this?

Having checked the system devices, it appears to have one installed, but cannot get the remote to detect it.

Again, any help or thoughts are so much appreciated. If anyone has such a device/solution... I'll be a happy customer.. ;)

On the other hand, If I can help anyone else or give any answers to any questions anyone else has... Im happy to answer them.

IXL
IXL

Re: ACER REVO 70 - Mini PCIE TV CARD HELP ?

Postby CyberSimian » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:30 pm

IXL Wrote:However I will want to use it for freeview TV ... I was looking at something like this: ( Example only - TBS7610 DVB-C TV Tuner PCIe Mini Card

I am not an expert, but I don't think that a DVB-C card will work in the UK. The "C" in "DVB-C" stands for "Cable", and would (in the UK) correspond to what Virgin Cable squirt down their, err, cables. Except that I think that all Virgin Cable channels are encrypted, and the TBS7610 would not be able to decrypt them. (This may all be total bunkum, so I am happy for it to be corrected if it is wrong.)

If you want to use the Revo with Freeview TV in the UK, I think that you will need to use a USB tuner, as I am not aware of any mini-PCI-E DVB-T/T2 tuner cards (again, I am happy to be corrected). Since we now have high-definition broadcasts in the UK, there is little merit in buying a DVB-T tuner, since it will not receive high definition. Buy instead a DVB-T2 tuner.

TBS manufacture a DVB-T2 USB dual tuner unit, the TBS5280, although the last time that I looked it was not available from any UK retailers (although you could buy it over the internet). Other DVB-T2 USB tuners are available (e.g. the PCTV one that you mention), although I think that that might be a single tuner.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
CyberSimian

Return to Windows