Moderator Control Panel ]

Openelec for MatrixTBS

Re: Openelec for MatrixTBS

Postby aidymp » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:01 am

I would be very insterested in trying the Openelec image! I would really like to see the TBS2910 be as successful as the Pi, I havent had time to lay as much as I would have liked with it, but from first boot, I was impressed, however Openelec would be much better, as I pointed out to the sales team.
aidymp

Postby quanton » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:39 pm

Awesome work guys!
I just burned the OpenELEC-TBS.arm-devel-20140807170606-r18774-g2c40356 to my v1.3 TBS2910.
The process was straight forward and the unit booted without a hitch.
Performance seems really nice, on par with the Cubox-i 4pro, as expected.

However I couldn't get my TBS5881 (to be used for DVB-C) to work. DMESG didn't show any DVB related information at all when I attached the usb-cable.

BTW, anyone know the difference between v1.3 and v2.1?

Best Regards
Anton
quanton

Postby vpeter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:17 am

quanton Wrote:I couldn't get my TBS5881 (to be used for DVB-C) to work. DMESG didn't show any DVB related information at all when I attached the usb-cable.
TBS doesn't provide source code for the drivers. And even binary blob is only for x86 architecture not arm. So nothing can be done here without TBS supporting us in any way.

quanton Wrote:anyone know the difference between v1.3 and v2.1?
From what i see v2.1 has IR receiver on board. On v1.x can be used external one on GPIO pins (I'm using this). There is also little difference placing elements and little different schematic. But nothing major it seems (current openelec image runs on all hw versions).
You can help me buy new work notebook with paypal donation, after 8 years it's time to upgrade.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FLVT7ACMYAPS6
vpeter

Postby Cjcr » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:26 am

Really works pretty nice! Great job guys.
I will follow it.

P.S: Support for more devices would be very welcome. :)
Cjcr

Postby vpeter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:05 am

Cjcr Wrote:Support for more devices would be very welcome
After checking this is not so easy because of using old kernel. But after I commit current project in openelec repository I will investigate using more recent kernel. Already have it running in the past but took safer way for start.
Maybe media_build would bring some devices...
You can help me buy new work notebook with paypal donation, after 8 years it's time to upgrade.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FLVT7ACMYAPS6
vpeter

Postby quanton » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:56 am

vpeter Wrote:TBS doesn't provide source code for the drivers. And even binary blob is only for x86 architecture not arm. So nothing can be done here without TBS supporting us in any way.

There are drivers already available for ARM-based NAS devices, as sold by DVB-logic.
Let's hope that TBS will consider to provide blobs for their own Matrix HW as well.
I tried to look through the sources for the MatrixTV software, but I couldn't find anything useful for this.
Last edited by quanton on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
quanton

Postby piotrasd » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:58 am

vpeter Wrote:
Cjcr Wrote:Support for more devices would be very welcome
After checking this is not so easy because of using old kernel. But after I commit current project in openelec repository I will investigate using more recent kernel. Already have it running in the past but took safer way for start.
Maybe media_build would bring some devices...

here are TBS opensource driver https://github.com/ljalves/linux_media not binary - maybe this you can use ...
piotrasd

Postby diabloss » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Piotr there is no ARM drivers in that package or at least i was not able to find one.
diabloss

Postby piotrasd » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:28 pm

yeah you have right, anyway i think we must wait for new kernel 3.10.xx, 3.0.xx is to old and ugly patched.

i try complie some driver for 3.0.x bust most patches (drivers) for media tree in kernel give me rejects :/
anyway i was able to compile my version openelec for Matrix :) thanks vpeter for PR :)
piotrasd

Postby vpeter » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:49 pm

My next step is to use kernel 3.10.17 or even 3.10.30 which is used for Cuboxi. 3.10.17 already worked but as I already mention CEC was not stable. Because I don't have CEC TV all testing was done by diabloss and it was hard to test. Thats why decision was made to use old kernel.

All this after Matrix project comes to official openelec repository.
vpeter

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements