Moderator Control Panel ]

Use caution prior to Purchasing a Matrix ARM mini PC

Re: DO NOT Purchase Matrix ARM mini PC

Postby SinOjos » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:36 am

nrm Wrote:My only purpose of the TBS2910 was to test its hardware encoders. imx6q is a really cool platform.

But I understand some of the users frustration. You're expecting something powerfull, being a quad-core and all. And all they manage is a 3.0.35 kernel, with way older packages. I know in terms of development its a hell of a job to keep updating kernels and stuff.

But the truth is Matrix is not for ordinary people. You either take the red pill and work your way through or you take the blue pill were you'll have to live with the fact that you're wasting your money.

Actually updating kernels and stuff, is real easy especially if you use a Linux distro that utilizes a package manager. It is really unbelievable that they are using a Linux Distro that is no longer maintained, and has NO package manager, and no sequential updating and must be completely re-flashed, shorting the life span of the ssd. With no package manager each and every package must be updated by hand. Which means the Matrix OS maintainer must check each and every installed package manually with that developer/maintainer, either via email notices or going to each and every individual package developers website to check for updates. Since their Sourceforge page with the source code shows only one maintainer, showing the dates each file is updated, it is real easy to see that updates are not being kept up with.

One reason updates are commonly not done by many embedded device OS maintainers, is that as new features or security features are added, it sometimes breaks things with other packages. Some maintainers are reluctant to do updates as it may cause them more work. Their time and money to them is more important than their customers security, as it will not be the maintainers bank account that gets wiped out, until successful civil litigation any ways.

Every Linux distro that provides a package manager generally has hundreds of package maintainers, volunteering their time, one maintainer simply cannot do what hundreds can. Though the Matrix OS is very limited and does not have as many packages installed as most normal Linux installs, never the less there are hundreds of packages installed. You should do LFS, Linux From Scratch, so you can see how many individual packages need to be installed just to get to a boot prompt. I built a full featured LFS system 20 years ago. It is the best learning experience you will ever get. The next closest is Gentoo. The two are essentially the same as with both, all packages compile flags must be set then the package must be compiled. LFS has no package manager, while Gentoo does, making updates much easier. LFS really is not a distro or flavor, but simply instructions on where to get all the packages and how to install them. It has never been meant as a everyday OS, due to the time to manually search for updated packages, but primarily for a learning tool for people to understand what really makes Linux tick.

Using packages or kernels outside of a distro's package manager is very easy as well. If you need something that is not available in the package manager, or needs to be compiled with specific compilation flags specific to your needs.

If you really want to see what Linux is capable of, compile your own kernel. There are a number of GUI's available for configuring the kernel for compilation. Open one up, and take a look at all the stuff you can configure in a kernel, it really is an eye opener. Current config file for the Gentoo kernel 3.17.7 has 3,156 lines of code, there are a few lines in the beginning and one line description/name for each block, never the less, there are over 3,000 settings. Here's a link to the Gentoo kernel configuration page, you do not have to actually compile the kernel to take a look at it. Simply at the CLI, cd to the kernel top directory, then use one of the configuration tools in the list. I prefer using "make nconfig" as it has transparency capability, but the best for beginners might be the old standard "make menuconfig". You can do this with every Linux Distro it does not have to be Gentoo.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration
SinOjos

Re: Use caution prior to Purchasing a Matrix ARM mini PC

Postby vpeter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:37 pm

I will just touch booting sata: you have schematic available. So with your long experience you could figure out the position yourself. And if I'm not mistaken there is a table with position.

And for compiling kernel: you would like to tell us what exactly? I think your posts should be shorter and more clear ;)
You can help me buy new work notebook with paypal donation, after 8 years it's time to upgrade.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FLVT7ACMYAPS6
vpeter

Re: Use caution prior to Purchasing a Matrix ARM mini PC

Postby diabloss » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:43 pm

@SinOjos

Dude you make no sense with all your wall of text.
nobody forces or ask nobody to buy a specific device.
If you don't like a company or a device that doesn mean all of us should proceed same way as you.

Seriously ......

I dunno and i don't care from which country are you or what is your level of knowledge in linux windows or any other software.
if i want to buy something i don't need your advice ,
if you don't like this product or another product you have Udoo , you have solid run cubox and few more others feel free to get anything you like

company advertising is irrelevant as long as the customer know what he want to buy.
diabloss

Previous

Return to Announcements