Moderator Control Panel ]

Mini PCI-e SSD Support on Matrix mini PC

Mini PCI-e SSD Support on Matrix mini PC

Postby eraguate » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:51 am

Hello folks,

I decided to re-purpose my Matrix mini PC (v 2.1) as a Plex Media Server and went ahead and installed vpeter's LibreElec 7.90.008 image along with a Plex Media Server iMX6 KODI addon found here and it works!

However, my next step is to add a mini PCIe SSD to use as main storage for my media (mostly family movies and pictures). I bought this 256GB mSATA Mini PCIE SSD Solid state drive on ebay but can't seem to find it under /dev/ on LibreElec.

I've read that these devices are listed as /dev/nvem* but I am not really sure if this is supported by LibreElec.

Any pointers and help will be much appreciated
eraguate

Re: Mini PCI-e SSD Support on Matrix mini PC

Postby Ahrlad » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:46 am

mSATA isn't mPCIe - they are separate interfaces that share the same form factor and interface. I'm pretty sure the Matrix box doesn't support mSATA through the mPCIE port (at least it didn't when I tried it). If you really, really want to waste your SSD for media storage, you can get one of these adapters for it and plug it into the sata connector.
Ahrlad

Postby eraguate » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:03 pm

Ahrlad Wrote:mSATA isn't mPCIe - they are separate interfaces that share the same form factor and interface. I'm pretty sure the Matrix box doesn't support mSATA through the mPCIE port (at least it didn't when I tried it). If you really, really want to waste your SSD for media storage, you can get one of these adapters for it and plug it into the sata connector.

Thanks for the tip. I know I am wasting performance with such a setup but might as well give the adapter a try since I am looking for a low noise, self contained solution to expand the Matrix's internal storage.
eraguate

Postby Ahrlad » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Sorry about the snark btw, that came out way worse than intended :D

Anyway I checked my boxes of junk and found I've got a bunch of those little cool mSATA-SATA adapters, if you PM me your address I could send one to you and save you a few weeks' worth of waiting.
Ahrlad

Postby eraguate » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:57 am

Thanks for your generosity. I don't mean to be rude... I will actually like to hear from others ideas on expanding the inner storage on the Matrix Box. Your comments are welcomed
eraguate

Return to General discussion