Linux Driver ETA

Postby Kazdalk » Wed May 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi,

Do you have an ETA for the Linux driver? Thanks
Kazdalk

Re: Linux Driver ETA

Postby Irene » Wed May 19, 2010 10:59 am

Hi,

It might be released in 2-3 month later, or something.
Irene

Postby Kazdalk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:33 pm

any updates on the ETA?
Kazdalk

Postby cody » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:01 am

no, currently our priority is to prepare Linux drivers for our upcoming new products.
cody

Postby Kazdalk » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 pm

So when does it become a priority to support your existing products? There is always going to be new products and I am certainly not going to recommend yours if you just stop supporting them because a newer one is coming.
Kazdalk

Postby cody » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Kazdalk Wrote:So when does it become a priority to support your existing products? There is always going to be new products and I am certainly not going to recommend yours if you just stop supporting them because a newer one is coming.

we are one of the few hardware manufacturers that at least are trying very hard to support all its products in Linux and that's true for all of our products except the current model of our DVB-C stick. also, the current model of the DVB-C Stick is never sold as Linux compatible and we clearly told customer that it may be supported in Linux, when we have time to work on such project, i.e. when there are no other high-priority project going on and besides that for every computer product sooner or later its support is discontinued.
cody

Postby Kazdalk » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:20 am

cody Wrote:
Kazdalk Wrote:So when does it become a priority to support your existing products? There is always going to be new products and I am certainly not going to recommend yours if you just stop supporting them because a newer one is coming.

we are one of the few hardware manufacturers that at least are trying very hard to support all its products in Linux and that's true for all of our products except the current model of our DVB-C stick. also, the current model of the DVB-C Stick is never sold as Linux compatible and we clearly told customer that it may be supported in Linux, when we have time to work on such project, i.e. when there are no other high-priority project going on and besides that for every computer product sooner or later its support is discontinued.

That's great that you try and do linux drivers for all your products. The reason I bought the current model of the dvb-c stick was that it was mentioned in this forum that a linux driver was being written for it, there was no mention of "may" and nothing about finding time to do it. A company that drops support of a product the minute they stop selling it, or even before that, is not going to go very well. It gives consumers no confidence that bug fixes or driver updates will occur and presents a very limited life for a product. I personnally would not choose to buy from a company that works in such a way.

Have you considered releasing enough detail to the open source community to allow them to write a driver? Or even releasing what you have produced so far? Cheers
Kazdalk

Return to Linux