Moderator Control Panel ]

MoiPro SDK OpenPCTV

MoiPro SDK OpenPCTV

Postby obconseil » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Hello,

Like piotrasd here viewtopic.php?f=165&t=9939 I would like to compile my own packages for MOI-Pro (IMX6).

According to /etc/os-release , the firmware is build over MatrixTV ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/matrixtv/ ) with some moi-pro specific changes, using the toolchain from there : https://sourceforge.net/projects/moipro/files/Files/.

What I'm looking for is the "SDK" for this - that would be the rootfs which includes the header and build files in /usr/include for exemple for all libraries , and/or the Makefile & specific config to rebuild the firmware. The reason is that when you try to compile any software, it often fails since either it cannot find the .h file, or the configuration is wrong and thus it crash at runtime.

I'm especially looking to build up-to-date version of various utilities related to DVB streaming, but also to host some unrelated servers binaries.

Thanks
obconseil

Re: MoiPro SDK OpenPCTV

Postby piotrasd » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:29 am

piotrasd

Postby obconseil » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:08 pm

This is nice.

However I could only find support for TBS2910 (Matrix) which is similar to MoiPro (imx6-based), but lack an important piece of code: The PCIe Bridge, and other details like for the LCD (less critical I admit).

So we still need a patch , SDK, whatever needed to rebuild by ourself the firmware for MoiPro, especially based on lastest kernel 4.x for IMX6 (ex : https://boundarydevices.com/imx-linux-kernel-4-1-15/ ).
The most interesting feature i'm dying for at the moment is the support for multistream on the cards that supports it - I have a 6983 today which on the current 1.0.11 fw does not advertise FE_CAN_MULTISTREAM (I'm not sure if it comes from the DVB API or the TBS drivers) , thus *on MOI-Pro* its impossible to get some streams from 5W and others, while I confirmed that can be done on a stupid dell R310 with the same card & a linux box - I guess the Moi Pro AMD would do it as well.

(The thing is I have ~10 Moipro here , which runs well fanless & for a low power consumtion)

I don't get why TBS does not provide this information - the MOI Pro is replaced by the AMD version, IMX6 is more or less phased out, and relasing this would allow them to essentially drop support and concentrate on the AMD version. No harm anywere.
obconseil

Postby piotrasd » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:51 pm

there is full setup for TBS2910 - do make menuconfig and choose device ... ;)
and for DVB drivers you can use opensource drivers.

anyway ... in my mind because TBS make very poor support they should release whole SDK, sourecode of they buildroot to make own full system.
piotrasd

Postby obconseil » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:06 pm

piotrasd Wrote:there is full setup for TBS2910 - do make menuconfig and choose device ... ;)
and for DVB drivers you can use opensource drivers.

That's what I'm doing, and will soon try the filesystem on a MOIPro.

But the TBS2910 (Matrix) is still different from MOIPRO, especially regarding the PCI stuff (2xPCIe Ports in the MOIPRO with a bridge, vs. one native on the matrix. This thread www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=9154 has a more detailed explaination)

Agreed for the opensource drivers, will try that. (In openbricks there already is a "TBS dvb firmware" option) - reviews on them look positive.

anyway ... in my mind because TBS make very poor support they should release whole SDK, sourecode of they buildroot to make own full system.

1000% agreed. This would solve the problem once & for all.

(I used to work with buildroot/openembedded on various IMX6-based plateform, so with correct documentation or patches, I feel able to update the firmware to current versions of kernel & tools)
obconseil

Postby piotrasd » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:18 pm

Maybe try LibreELEC build for imx6 (there is support for TBS2910)
@CvH also make script and package.mk for build opensource driver for TBS
piotrasd

Postby obconseil » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:19 am

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas - LibreElec & openbricks/geexbox.
No joy : I had a hard time building the image, to finally find out that it does not handle the PCIe bridge as I expected.

I'm fed up - This basically mean it's currently impossible to pull DVB-S2 Multistream / PLS stream from 5W (and other), even if these streams are commons.
The card I own supports it (6984/6985) but no, TBS does not release new kernels, new drivers, and no code so that we can do it ourself.

So I've brought some basic 1U PC and I going to replace the MOIPro. Moi-pro-AMD would have been ideal, but unless they play fair, I'm not buying TBS anymore ("playing fair" here is not hard : just release the damn code, we'll handle the rest. But no , even that seem too much to ask).

I have to move on on this stuff, I'm not loosing my time if they refuses to even reply.
obconseil

Postby tayloirit » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:44 am

Yep, piss poor service.. what's the point of selling something if your not going to support your user base... all that will happen now is people will throw these pile of crap tin boxes in the bin and go to a solution like DVBlogic that simply works...
tayloirit

Postby obconseil » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:44 am

Hello tayloirit & piotrasd.

I spent several evening trying to update the MOIPRO , since I own many of them. But I did not have much success.

My goal was to update the kernel to at leas version 4.x , so I compiled Yocto (morty version) based on info given on the Boundary Devices website.
The MOIPro seems to inherit from the iMX6Q-Sabre SD , a developement board from Freescale if the info from u-boot & the current kernel are true.

* So I tried to load (using OTG loader and imx_usb_loader tool) a new u-boot, based on config from iMX6Q-Sabre SD using this https://boundarydevices.com/unbricking- ... mx6-board/ procedure. It works with TBS-provided u-boot.imx file but not with a more recent version that I compiled myself throught Yocto => I think , even if they did not changed the name of the board , I'm lacking some patch and / or configuration specific to the MOIPRO.

* I tried to boot a compiled kernel 4.1.2 with the current u-boot used on version 1.0.0.11 ( which is U-Boot 2013.04 (Jul 16 2015 - 16:31:11)) .
No success : Either recent kernels need recent u-boot as well, or there is a patch missing .
I could not find the problem, it just hang after "Uncompressing .... done, booting kernel" even with EARLY_PRINTK in the kernel config.
More advanced debug would require JTAG I fear - if you have some ideas...

My only "success" is to have booted a Debian jessie image https://boundarydevices.com/debian-jess ... el-4-1-15/ flashed onto an USB device, and booted with the TBS-provided kernel 3.14.34-02243-g1f9fe39-dirty . I just had to change a few uboot variables.

But that does not solve my main goal which were to update the kernel to be able to used MIS / PLS on Moipro, and also use the opensource drivers for the capture cards, as well as benefit from newer kernel features & bugfixes.

I can do more tests if you have some ideas, and/or provide config files & command-lines.
obconseil

Return to MOI Pro