Moderator Control Panel ]

What can be captured with the card?

What can be captured with the card?

Postby rtvd » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:01 pm

Hello,

Please could you clarify a few things about this card?

I know that the card has 4 inputs.
Does it have 4 tunes as well (a tuner per input)?

What can a single tuner capture? I believe that when capturing TV streams from a satellite the data in Ku band is split by LBN into four blocks (two sub-bands(?) and two polarizations). LBN sends only one combination at a time over a single channel. And in that block there will be several frequencies, each of which can carry an MPEG-2 TS.
Would a tuner be able to capture all MPEG-2 TS related to all frequencies sent to it from LNB?

I hope that a single card is enough to capture everything from a single satellite.

I tried looking up documentation on it but when I click "User Guide" on the web page for this card I do not see anything.

P.S. My intent is to use it under Linux if possible.
rtvd

Re: What can be captured with the card?

Postby SergioDanielG » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:16 am

Hi rtdv.

Any tuner on any card can tune only one sub-band in one polarization.
TBS6908 have 4 input, one for each tuner. Depending of the software, you can lock more than one frequency in same sub-band.

Kind regards.
SergioDanielG

Postby crazycat » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:46 am

rtvd Wrote:What can a single tuner capture? I believe that when capturing TV streams from a satellite the data in Ku band is split by LBN into four blocks (two sub-bands(?) and two polarizations). LBN sends only one combination at a time over a single channel. And in that block there will be several frequencies, each of which can carry an MPEG-2 TS.
Would a tuner be able to capture all MPEG-2 TS related to all frequencies sent to it from LNB?

you can capture any Ku freq on each tuner input with Quad Ku LNB or Quattro LNB + Multiswitch.
crazycat

Postby SergioDanielG » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:16 am

crazycat Wrote:you can capture any Ku freq on each tuner input with Quad Ku LNB or Quattro LNB + Multiswitch.

You are wright. And TBS6909 have 8 tuner in 4 input + internal multiswitch.

Kind regards.
SergioDanielG

How do 8 tunes and 4 inputs work then?

Postby rtvd » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:51 pm

That's awesome. So if the card has 8 tuners, then it probably can capture all TV streams from two satellites?

But then how would it work?

If there are two tunes per input, how would they be fed with a signal if normally an input it connected to an LNB and LBN sends only one polarization down the cable (which is selected by the voltage supplied by the receiver)?
Is there a document somewhere which describes this setup?
rtvd

Postby rtvd » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:01 pm

Ah.. Found the document. So it uses those tuners to tune to specific frequencies.
Therefore, I should connect all for inputs to provide concurrent access to all four bands and then I can select up to eight frequencies at a time, capturing everything that is streamed on them.
rtvd

Return to Professional DVB-S2 Quad Tuner PCIe Card TBS6908