Moderator Control Panel ]

TBS6909 Operating System & PVR support

TBS6909 Operating System & PVR support

Postby DLD » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:02 am

Hi,

I have a TBS6909 that I have had for some time but never got around to installing due to health problems. Now I want to install it but having read some posts on the forum about this card I have no idea what anyone is talking about. I'm not a total novice but I really don't know anything about setting up the TBS6909. I run a dual tuner TBS card on Windows 8.1 with NextPVR and this has been mainly good. Sometimes I get errors saying a recording failed as it it couldn't lock on to the signal. I have no idea why? Also Win 8.1 sometimes crashes and looking at the dump it seems to be the TBS driver. Again I don't know why? But mainly it is okay and I like NextPVR.

With the TBS6909 (I've no idea which version) I want to run it on Linux or BSD. The reason being the stability problems I've had with Win 8.1 and Linux/BSD upgrades are free.

It seems that people mainly seem to be using Linux with TVheadend. So, my first question is can I run the TBS6909 with NextPVR? I get the impression that TVheadend hasn't been updated in a long time and I've never set it up so if I can stay with NextPVR that would be good.

Where I get totally lost in the forum is when people talk about VF/HF connections or something like that.I've no idea what any of that means?

My satellite dish has an Octo LNB with 4 cables coming into the room where the server will go. But at the moment I am using 2 of those cables for the dual tuner in the Win 8.1 machine.

Can I run the TBS6909 with just two cables at least for now? What is the significance of the cables? I assumed they were all the same but stuff I've read seems to say one type of cable needs to be connected to one of the TBS6909 connectors and other types to the others. I've no idea what this means.

The machine will only run the PVR software and Jellyfin. So, what operating system should I use?

The clients are all OSMC Vero4k boxes.. in other words Kodi.

I've looked for guides to setting such a system up but I've only found guides using other TV tuners and most of those are not satellite.

Any advice much appreciated. If anyone can point me at any guides/tutorials that would also be great.

One last question. I often see that the TBS cards support IPTV. What does that mean? Again I've looked for info but been totally lost by what I found. It seems to say it is something I subscribe to. Is that correct?

If it is relevant I'm in the UK.

Thank you.
DLD

Re: TBS6909 Operating System & PVR support

Postby smile » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:28 pm

Hi sir
Just google the basics. if you want to make it clearly, the post may not do it.
for the nextPVR, our drivers should be support it.
and the 6909x usage method.please read the user guide.
the 6909x mode is the signal cable connect way. please according your signal , select the appropriate mode.

Best Regards
smile

Postby DLD » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:56 pm

Sorry but I don't understand your response. Do you not think I searched the Internet before asking these questions?

I have no idea what "the 6909x mode is the signal cable connect way. please according your signal , select the appropriate mode". If this is English it is of a form that I have never come across before!

The trouble with TBS products is that you seem to have no one who can actually explain things in plain English and yet you sell into the English speaking world.

As for the manual, if I got the answers I needed from that, I would not be posting here would I?

You seem to be criticising my post and I wonder if that is just because your English is not sufficient to understand it.

If you think my questions are answered somewhere then please give me links to that information.

As with regard to NextPVR, surely you have tested the TBS6909 on this platform? It is one of the most popular applications for TV. If you have not tested it then why not?

With IPTV you have neither given me an explanation nor a link to an explanation. Why not?
DLD

Postby DLD » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:12 pm

How disappointing that no one from TBS has bothered to give a clear explanation of how to get this card to work. The card is not cheap and yet you are happy to take our money and not give any sensible explanations. Should a customer have to rely on forums and searching the internet to just get a basic understanding?
DLD

Postby DVB » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:15 am

It's because you didn't bothered to read the manual. All answers to your questions are there or...
DLD Wrote:Do you not think I searched the Internet before asking these questions?

...or can be Googled in less than 10 seconds. Your questions are more than basic. So I'm pretty sure you didn't :mrgreen:

DLD Wrote:As for the manual, if I got the answers I needed from that, I would not be posting here would I?

The trick is that beside having the manual it's good to read it. Manual for 6909x is pretty elaborated, 38 pages. If you have 6909x, because that's not so obvious. 6909 and 6909x are not the same device. VL, VH, HL, HH thing is explained very well on the page 16. You did not read it, didn't you? Because if you did, you would be posting here, would you?

DLD Wrote:It is one of the most popular applications for TV.

Haha, hell no.

DLD Wrote:Sometimes I get errors saying a recording failed as it it couldn't lock on to the signal. I have no idea why?

That's no surprise, when you're saying later, that:
DLD Wrote:Can I run the TBS6909 with just two cables at least for now? What is the significance of the cables? I assumed they were all the same but stuff I've read seems to say one type of cable needs to be connected to one of the TBS6909 connectors and other types to the others. I've no idea what this means.

To get any DVB card correctly up & running it has to be correctly connected to the satellite signal accordingly to the provided installation manual. In your case this has failed so you're running into troubles.

First of all - which 6909 do you have, because models have not exactly the same possibilities. In the title you've typed 6909. In the content I'm reading: 6909x. These are two different devices.
1: https://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6909 ... -card.html
2: https://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6909 ... -card.html

Both cards have 3 working modes. Manual is explaining this very well.
Default is always Mode 0.
Mode 0 means that device expect on input:
a) 4 connected cables with separate band and polarity lines (and that's VL, VH, HL, HH - Vertical polarity, low band, Vertical High, Horizontal Low, Horizontal High) - this is recommended, but might be harder to achieve
b) 4 connected cables from an Universal Fullband LNB or Multiswitch (not 2, 4) - this is easiest to achieve in the most of the cases
c) 2 connected cables, but only if a single band C or Ku-band LNB is in use (so not a case for European users, because in Europe full band is in use)
If you've not connected 4 cables and not changed mode - running into no signal issues is expected, because your setup is wrong.

Mode 1 has to be switched manually, in this mode:
4 connected cables can be connected, DiSEqC is accepted, input 0 manages tuner 0 and 1, input 1 - tuner 2 and 3 etc.

Mode 2 is a special mode for Unicable LNB, only one cable has to be connected to Input 3, but Unicable LNB has to be used.

Important difference is between devices - as far as I remember 6909 mode selection works only under Linux. 6909-X mode selection works also under Windows. If your decision to go with Linux is final, this won't have any impact even if you've got 6909.

On 6909-x product page you can find a version of this with pictures explaining the connections between bands and polarities.

DLD Wrote:Can I run the TBS6909 with just two cables at least for now?

No. No mode accept 2 cables from full band LNB. Manual is explaining this very well.

DLD Wrote:I often see that the TBS cards support IPTV. What does that mean?

IPTV simply means that TBS can act as a source to stream channels from the card to the network if software allows this. Although this is true basically for any DVB card.
I'm not sure if NextPVR allows this, it's some unknown app :mrgreen:

Go back to reading the manual. Reading. Not just having. Everything what you need is already there. TBS put a lot of work to prepare such detailed guide. Something now rarely observed for other brands. It's at least unkind to suggest you cannot find any informations about HL, VL, etc. when so much effort was done on TBS side to describe this... They might think now - why to do this, if nobody is reading this anyway?
And now you're watching 8K:
KKKKKKKK
:)
DVB

Postby DLD » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:30 pm

It's because you didn't bothered to read the manual. All answers to your questions are there or...
DLD Wrote:
Do you not think I searched the Internet before asking these questions?

...or can be Googled in less than 10 seconds. Your questions are more than basic. So I'm pretty sure you didn't :mrgreen:

Actuallly I read the manual and searched the Internet. The manual says:

Thanks for using TBS6909, TBS6909 is a powerful DVB-S/S2 octa tuner card, and
there is some information you need to know before using. C signal 5150 V access
Input0, H access to Input 2, C signal 5750 V access Input 1, H access to Input 3

I have absolutely no idea what that means nor did I find any information by searching the internet that helped me understand what it means.

The rest of the manual makes no sense without understanding that.

If you read my post then you know that I have no idea which TBS6909 I have and I couldn't find anything that helped determine that.
DLD

Postby DLD » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:37 pm

The trick is that beside having the manual it's good to read it. Manual for 6909x is pretty elaborated, 38 pages. If you have 6909x, because that's not so obvious. 6909 and 6909x are not the same device. VL, VH, HL, HH thing is explained very well on the page 16. You did not read it, didn't you? Because if you did, you would be posting here, would you?

DLD Wrote:
It is one of the most popular applications for TV.

Haha, hell no.

DLD Wrote:
Sometimes I get errors saying a recording failed as it it couldn't lock on to the signal. I have no idea why?

That's no surprise, when you're saying later, that:
DLD Wrote:
Can I run the TBS6909 with just two cables at least for now? What is the significance of the cables? I assumed they were all the same but stuff I've read seems to say one type of cable needs to be connected to one of the TBS6909 connectors and other types to the others. I've no idea what this means.

It seems as if it is you who is not bothering to read. The problems I mentioned above have NOTHING to do with the TBS6909. That card is not even installed. The problems I was referrring to are on a dual tuner card. You also say NextPVR is not a popular TV program. So why does it have so many users in it's forum and TBS has so few?

You say the manual has over 30 pages. Mine only has 29.
DLD

Postby DLD » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:51 pm

so not a case for European users, because in Europe full band is in use

That is the most useful thing you said and explains why the manual makes no sense to me. It is just a shame that the manual does not say that right up front.

If I am reading your post correctly then, given I am in the UK, I can't use just two connections on the card I have.

So, my question is simple, why could someone have not given that simple answer? Why was I not told that before I bought the card given I asked the question and made it quite clearly that I wanted to use just two cables at first.

As my manual only has 29 pages I assume it is an early version. Also page 16 on my manual is the output of a Linux command and not an explanation of anything.

It is clear that you are very knowledgable but it is a shame that you didn't just restrict yourself to being helpful instead of being abusive and assuming I did not read the manual.

The manual I have might as well have been written in Chinese as it would have been no less meaningful
DLD

Postby DVB » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:47 pm

Why you did not make at least a minimal effort to get the knowledge from sources which I've already provided?
The knowledge about bands and polarities is universal.
Using 6909-x product card is a good source to start, intead you've wrote 3 useless posts and you're in the same place as you was before.

DLD Wrote:You say the manual has over 30 pages. Mine only has 29.

That's because I still don't know which card exactly you've got - 6909 or 6909-x.
Latest version of User guide for 6909: https://www.tbsiptv.com/download/tbs690 ... _guide.pdf
Latest version of User guide for 6909-x: https://www.tbsiptv.com/download/tbs690 ... _guide.pdf

From User Guide of 6909 you must read and understand pages 3 and 4. I've already explained what are band and polarities and the same is in the manual.
From 6909-x User Guide the same is described on pages 15-18.

DLD Wrote:The problems I was referrring to are on a dual tuner card.

So don't mix the issues.

DLD Wrote:That is the most useful thing you said and explains why the manual makes no sense to me. It is just a shame that the manual does not say that right up front.

If I am reading your post correctly then, given I am in the UK, I can't use just two connections on the card I have.

Because there are like zillions of possible combinations, other user would like to connect one cable, another - 3 cables. There are also multiple types of LNB's (C, Ku, Ka band, Wideband, Unicable I/II). If anybody would like to write ALL possible combinations that are NOT supported, this would be a decent book in which at the end you would again had to struggle to find your case. So there are listed combinations, that are supported. With pictures. You can look at the pictures and easily check that your combination is not supported. This seems to be a good and logical choice.

You're lacking basic satellite knowledge, which is out of scope of this or any else manual.

DLD Wrote:Actuallly I read the manual and searched the Internet. The manual says:

Thanks for using TBS6909, TBS6909 is a powerful DVB-S/S2 octa tuner card, and
there is some information you need to know before using. C signal 5150 V access
Input0, H access to Input 2, C signal 5750 V access Input 1, H access to Input 3

I have absolutely no idea what that means nor did I find any information by searching the internet that helped me understand what it means.

The rest of the manual makes no sense without understanding that.

This is for C-band users, not for you. You're Ku band user. So this part is to be completely ignored for European users. But this originates from having the basic satellite knowledge (and yes - this can be easily found over the Internet in less than 10 seconds).

I've provided all that you should have know, the links and allowed configurations for Ku-band usage. No configuration allows 2-cable usage in 6909 nor 6909-x for Ku-band full band LNB (a standard European user case). It's up to you if you will make a good use of this knowledge or you will be keep on moan.
And now you're watching 8K:
KKKKKKKK
:)
DVB

Postby DLD » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:08 am

Instead of being abusive why don't you actually give links to the information I am supposed to have read. Yes I am lacking basic satellite knowledge but I have no less knowledge than someone who installs a satellite card as a novice user. I managed to install and use a card fine for the past 4 years and I've never said I am anything other than a novice user. If I am meant to have more knowledge before buying one of these cards then they clearly should not be sold into the consumer market. In my view the 6909 manual I have is totally useless I really don't care if you disagree,

It seems as if you merely here to insult me. Do you get kicks out of that? If that is your purpose on being here I think that is terribly sad.

In my original post I stated that I do not know which 6909 I have nor do I know how to find out. It maybe on the card but I don't currently have access to the computer to determine it.

Before posting I looked at the original purchase and it did not have a version. When I went on the website it referred to a 6909x. How was I supposed to know it was not the same card.

Frankly I find your posts abusive, unhelpful and rude. If you cannot dramatically change your posts then please never reply to me again.
DLD

Return to DVB-S2 Octa Tuner PCIe Card TBS6909