Moderator Control Panel ]

6909 not scanning/working properly TVheadend

6909 not scanning/working properly TVheadend

Postby snailbrain » Sat May 21, 2016 12:57 am

i've just tried to scan with the first 4 tuners on 28.2e
not all services are found and it looks like 99% of the channels are all horizontal polorisation, like as if it's not switching the lnb to vertical?

i'm using mode 0, with 4x 4xdiseqc switches with 3 satellites.

Setup works fine with older cards.

in Tvheadend i have made each other tune a slave of the previous tuner.. is this what i should be doing for mode 0, or is this done invisibly with the drivers?
Last edited by snailbrain on Mon May 23, 2016 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
snailbrain

Re: 6909 not scanning/seeing Vertical Signals

Postby snailbrain » Sat May 21, 2016 3:27 am

looking here it looks like i'm only getting HH

- it's like it's not switching properly.. maybe to do with drivers and mode 0?

this is what my scan looks like

snailbrain

Postby snailbrain » Sat May 21, 2016 6:18 am

i've been trying different things all day..

the issues seem intermittent..

i'm led to believe that mode 0 doesn't seem to work properly.. (although i've not tried mode 1 or 2)
would be good to know if mode 0 has actually been enabled, as that would probably explain a lot of the issues..

diseqc and switching polarity don't seem to work properly at all unless there is some secret i'm missing (with tvheadend)

anyone else got a setup using mode 0?
snailbrain

Postby snailbrain » Sun May 22, 2016 4:27 am

i've been doing this on an esxi server without luck at all (using passthrough as ive done with my previous cards).

to eliminate esxi as the problem i've installed a fresh ubuntu 14.04 on a physical pc
done updates
installed 6909 driver
set mode=0 in tbs.conf
installed latest tvheadend (unstable trusty)
configured just tuner 0 and tuner 2 with a network

Same issues.. it seems everything starts freezing in tvheadend as it did within esxi (except even more unresponsive),
nothing wants to scan properly..

my impressions are that mode=0 does not work. I'm hoping to test mode 1 tomorrow but i really need mode 0 working.

I bought a Dell T20 Xeon Mini Tower which i was going to use as my dvb server only to find out it did not support my cards (because pcie 1.0a)... so i bought the 6909 as i was told it would work because of the bridge.. so i sold my last tower which worked with my tbs 6982 dual tuner and a TT-budget (same chipset as 6982?) so i'm now completely without TV ..

has anyone tried Mode=0 that can offer any help?

just a note, i re-enabled mode=1 and tvheadend seems fine and is happily scanning away , although this is no good for me with my diseqc setup -
i think the problem is definetly with mode 0.

also still getting this (not sure if it's a problem

Code: Select All Code
lsdvb

lsdvb: Simple utility to list PCI/PCIe DVB devices
                Version: 0.0.4
                Copyright (C) Manu Abraham

TBS PCIE (544:6178 6909:1) on PCI Domain:0 Bus:8 Device:0 Function:0
        DEVICE:0 ADAPTER:4 ERROR: Open frontend0 failed
snailbrain

Postby guacharaca » Sun May 22, 2016 1:10 pm

Check your cabling to that on the guide. I have found that vertical polarity does better on input ports 0 and 1 while horizontal does better on ports 2 and 3

http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/document ... ide_v4.pdf
guacharaca

Re: 6909 not scanning/working properly TVheadend

Postby snailbrain » Mon May 23, 2016 3:19 am

thanks for the reply.

the cabling is fine, i've been using it with 2 other tuners.

As a test, today i've reconfigured my setup with new cabling (took all day).

I've now got an octo lnb for 28.2e and have put 4 of the inputs to the 6909 in Mode 1.... so i can use each tuner independently (all 8) and ignore diseqc for now and test with just 1 sat. This way i can just later buy a quad tuner which i'll hook up to my disqec switches...

BUT - same problem. tvheadend unresponsive, not scanning properly, only getting High Horizontals..
so the issue is not just mode 0, it's mode 1 as well
Whether this is a driver issue or faulty card, i do not know, but i'm incredibly frustrated atm..

edit:
sometimes it looks like all 8 tuners are scanning.. but then they all stop and don't receive a signal because they are trying to scan V channels.. othertimes completely locksup tvheadend, yet i can still ssh and tvheadend isn't using lots of cpu or anything...

i've tried just enabling 2 tuners (i thought maybe there was too much power draw with 8), no luck and same issue.

current setup with mode 1, connected to octo lnb (just 4 of the ports)

what happens 90% of the time if start to scan.. stuck and takes a long time to kick back in (just trying with 2 tuners enabled)

the physical box i'm using now for testing is a Hex Core Xeon x5670 @ 4.2ghz ... using a G1. Assassin x58 Motherboard - it's an old box but it's top spec and certainly not lacking performance.
snailbrain

Postby guacharaca » Mon May 23, 2016 11:07 pm

Interesting!

In your log it looks correct but your system does not see a satellite signal. Using your set-up, I get the same log output and I know Astra satellite is not on my side of planet earth.

My next step would be to focus on receiving one vertical TP that you know is "Free to Air" and try to receive it without all the other data which uses up resources.

To do that delete your existing sky setup and add it again, but only add one or two muxes manually.

Under the tabs "configuration" then "DVB inputs" then "networks", delete your existing "sky" network and create a new one. However in the new one, do not select "pre-defined muxes". Leave it blank and enter one or two muxes manually. To add a mux manually, go to the "muxes" tab, press "add" and a window will open for you to add the details from a non-scrambled TP from Lyngsat. Remember to enter a freq with an extra three "0". That is: 11597 V will be entered 11597000, and its SR-FEC of 22000 will be entered as 22000000

Use lyngsat to find an appropriate TP that is "free to air" and use that data to add the mux manually.
http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html
guacharaca

Postby snailbrain » Mon May 23, 2016 11:37 pm

guacharaca Wrote:Interesting!

In your log it looks correct but your system does not see a satellite signal. Using your set-up, I get the same log output and I know Astra satellite is not on my side of planet earth.

My next step would be to focus on receiving one vertical TP that you know is "Free to Air" and try to receive it without all the other data which uses up resources.

To do that delete your existing sky setup and add it again, but only add one or two muxes manually.

Under the tabs "configuration" then "DVB inputs" then "networks", delete your existing "sky" network and create a new one. However in the new one, do not select "pre-defined muxes". Leave it blank and enter one or two muxes manually. To add a mux manually, go to the "muxes" tab, press "add" and a window will open for you to add the details from a non-scrambled TP from Lyngsat. Remember to enter a freq with an extra three "0". That is: 11597 V will be entered 11597000, and its SR-FEC of 22000 will be entered as 22000000

Use lyngsat to find an appropriate TP that is "free to air" and use that data to add the mux manually.
http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

Hi thanks for the response.

i'm not doing any descrambling, only free to air (although scanning all transponders).
I'll try a manual scan of a mux ..

p.s. i'm using a Universal LNB, what sort of LNB do you use in Canada?
snailbrain

Postby guacharaca » Tue May 24, 2016 10:02 pm

The reason I suggest manual entry is because the vertical TPs I see in your log are scrambled or are out of date when I reference them to Lyngsat.

In Canada/USA there are about five commonly used types of LNBs. The three types I use are the C-band lnb (3 metre dishs), ku 10750 lnb (1.0 metre dishes), and Japanese single polarity ku 10750 highband lnb (1.5 metre dishes). The last system I removed from the roofs of scrap metal yards. Before the invention of internet, they had used them for receiving parts information.

There is one satellite above america that does use a Universal lnb (less than 1 metre dish). It is located at 118.9W but except for their test channel it is all scrambled with Nagravision 3.

If you have a large back yard, C-band is the best for HD free to air signals. C-band is a Big Ugly Dish (BUD) that city dwellers normally can not put in their yards, hence there is less need for the networks to scramble C-band signals as the physical size of the dish itself reduces piracy.
guacharaca

Postby snailbrain » Wed May 25, 2016 3:15 pm

guacharaca Wrote:The reason I suggest manual entry is because the vertical TPs I see in your log are scrambled or are out of date when I reference them to Lyngsat.

In Canada/USA there are about five commonly used types of LNBs. The three types I use are the C-band lnb (3 metre dishs), ku 10750 lnb (1.0 metre dishes), and Japanese single polarity ku 10750 highband lnb (1.5 metre dishes). The last system I removed from the roofs of scrap metal yards. Before the invention of internet, they had used them for receiving parts information.

There is one satellite above america that does use a Universal lnb (less than 1 metre dish). It is located at 118.9W but except for their test channel it is all scrambled with Nagravision 3.

If you have a large back yard, C-band is the best for HD free to air signals. C-band is a Big Ugly Dish (BUD) that city dwellers normally can not put in their yards, hence there is less need for the networks to scramble C-band signals as the physical size of the dish itself reduces piracy.

thanks mate.

i tried a manual scan with no luck.

The V channels in the screenshot are just a snippet, i've scanned through the whole range. Also it should still get a signal and get the services.

might have a look at C band, not sure what i can get in the UK.
snailbrain

Return to DVB-S2 Octa Tuner PCIe Card TBS6909