Moderator Control Panel ]

Failed to compile under yaVDR 0.6.2

Failed to compile under yaVDR 0.6.2

Postby ako673de » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:00 pm

I already have a TBS 6981 working for several years in my HTPC. Now I wanted to add a DVB-C card.
But the TBS 6281SE doesn't seem to be supported OOTB (lspci shows a lot less information than for the TBS 6981).
So I downloaded the latest open source driver, followed all the instructions, especially the one to remove media from /lib/modules/.../drivers,
and ended up with a non-functional system. Not only the TBS 6981 stopped working, even an lcdproc based LCD did no longer respond.
The only way out of that situation was to restore the whole system from a backup.

Therefore, before doing this a second time I would like to ask if anybody has ever tried this successfully on a yaVDR based system?
(It's Ubuntu 14.04-LTS, with a 3.13.0-170-generic kernel)

Thanx in advance
ako673de
ako673de

Re: Failed to compile under yaVDR 0.6.2

Postby zhangchao » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:20 pm

hi ,

if you want to install driver in linux pc , like ubuntu ,centos . i can help you .
you can add skype jack_2431 , or write email to jack@tbsdtv.com .
best regards !
zhangchao

Postby ako673de » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:41 pm

I sent you an invite on Skype, did you receive it?
ako673de

Postby ako673de » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:13 am

For those of you experiencing the same problem, here is what @zhanchao found out:

- The open source driver well supports kernel v4.10 and higher. Lower version kernels are more or less untested. v3.13 obviously is not at all supported.

- The latest working driver for kernels <v4.10 is from the year 2016. @zhanchao sent it to me directly, I don't know if it can be downloaded somewhere on the internet.

A comment from my side: Even though my system was basically back to work with @zhanchao's help, still some strange behavior has been observed since then:
- If there are more dvb cards in the system "w_scan" needs the "-a" option otherwise it will not find the dvbc card. While this is one of the key features of "w_scan" I suspect, that the old driver and/or firmware maybe has a problem (2016 an SE variant did not exist for the TBS6281, therefore maybe the capabilities report is in some way wrong enough for w_scan to fail the autodetection)
- The wirbelscan plugin for VDR completely fails to find transponders on the tbs6281se. The developer of this plugin says that in general any such issue has never been reported before - for many years!
- Video is jerky on some transpoders. Even though signal strength is at 80%, signal quality is only below 50%. This may be software related but there are also strong indications for hardware at fault.

=> Even though channel search and watching TV are basically kind of working, the situation is still far away from good enough. Currently I would not recommend this card to anybody with an old kernel!

I will post an update once I have cross checked with a more recent distribution and once I have feedback from the manufaturer about my thoughts on hardware (mis)behavior...
ako673de

Postby ako673de » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:38 pm

And here is the first update: With yaVDR-ansible installed (Ubuntu 18.04.3-LTS, kernel 4.15) the latest open source drivers show some major differences to the old drivers under yaVDR 0.6:
1) w_scan now works as expected (=without the need for option "-a"). Obviously the old driver is reporting wrong card capabilities (although I don't know which exactly, both say "dvb-c"...)
2) The new driver reports SNR and STR exactly the other way around! So, STR=50% and SNR=80%, which at least sounds plausible enough from the logical point of view. Unfortunately this confirms my impression, that obviously I also have a bad card (it's insertion costs over 40% STR, and BTW, if I insert a ground breaker into the antenna path, it costs even up to 90% STR - compared to if the RF-in and RF-out cables are tied together for cross-check of signal properties directly on a TV).

Next update will (hopefully) follow as soon as the card has been exchanged.
ako673de

Return to PCIe DVB-T2/T/C Dual Tuner Card TBS6281SE