Moderator Control Panel ]

Firmware does not load into TBS6522 upon booting

Firmware does not load into TBS6522 upon booting

Postby hasecomp » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:26 am

The TBS open source package is under development, I fully appreciate that.

Allow me to bring the following to your attention. If you know about it, maybe you can still help me with the question at the end of this mail.

My TBS card: TBS6522
Linux distribution: Arch Linux
Current kernel: 4.14.6-1-ARCH
TBS Open source driver package: built from github on 2017-12-19

The issue described here is the same when I build the TBS open source package from media_build-2017-1016.tar.bz2.

At the moment, when the system is booted, kernel module tbsecp03 is loaded, but apparently, looking at dmesg, the firmware is not loaded.

What I do now to get the firmware loaded for both tuners, is to let the Linux program Kaffeine run for a few seconds, configured once for one TBS6522 tuner, once for the other TBS6522 tuner. A bit clumsy, but it is the only way I know currently to make the Linux program MythTV run properly. Kaffeine loads the TBS6522 firmware if it is not loaded, MythTV does not load the TBS6522 firmware if it is not loaded. Once the TBS6522 firmware is loaded dmesg shows this (what I find strange, is that dmesg only shows the firmware being loaded once, whereas I would expect dmesg to show firmware loading twice; never mind).

If you are not yet aware of this situation, hopefully you can take it into account for a future (github) release of the TBS open source package.

Maybe it is complicated to include this feature or you might have other priorities, so it could take a while.

In the meantime, can you advise me a simpler procedure than the one with Kaffeine to get the firmware loaded into both tuners of the TBS6522 card? Maybe you know a CLI command to do this. So far I tried to rmmod and modprobe tbsecp03, but then my system hangs. The only other thing I could find is the request_firmware API of the Linux kernel, but then I would have to make a program and would rather stick to the "Kaffeine procedure" for the time being.

Kind regards,
Andre Hasekamp.
hasecomp

Return to TBS6522 Multi-standard Dual Tuner PCI-e Card