Moderator Control Panel ]

TBS6980 resume from sleep mode solution

TBS6980 resume from sleep mode solution

Postby okbet » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 pm

When computer awakes from sleep mode, why TBS6980 cards doesn’t work?
Re: there is bug in TBS 6980 driver versions up to 1.0.0.3 that is preventing the TBS 6980 card to properly wake from sleep, so you need to update TBS 6980 driver to at least version 1.0.0.4, where that bug is fixed.
If you already upgraded to 1.0.0.4 and still have problems after wake from sleep, then you may have AMD/ATi based video card and thus you are affected by the following bug in newer Catalyst drivers:
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/80396.aspx?PageIndex=2
in short Catalyst 9.8 is the latest that can properly resume from sleep the video mode with many of the AMD/ATi based video cards and all newer Catalyst drivers has the bug. so, the only solution in such case is to downgrade to Catalyst version 9.8
okbet

Re: TBS6980 resume from sleep mode solution

Postby steve » Sun May 02, 2010 4:05 pm

I have had this same problem with Intel G41, ATI and NVIDEA cards all with the latest drivers under Windows 7 32 bit. I found the solution was to restart the "Windows Media Center Receiver Service". This can be automated by using the MCE Standby tool and editing the RunAtResume key in the registry to run a batch file when the machine exits sleep state to restart the sevices and then media centre.

HKLM\Software\Herman van Eijk\MceStandbyTool\RunAtResume = c:\windows\system32\mcrestart.bat

Create a batch file called mcrestart.bat in c:\windows\system32

@echo off
net stop "Windows Media Center Receiver Service"
net start "Windows Media Center Receiver Service"
start %SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe

You must ensure User Access Control is disabled in Vista & Windows 7 for the batch file to run.

This workaround seems to work fine every time. :D
steve

Postby bushy » Tue May 11, 2010 8:09 pm

I'm using driver version V1.0.0.13 on a win 7 x86 machine with Nvidia card and still will not wake up from sleep. I see there is a 'work around' solution from Steve but it would be good if it can be fixed properly.

Cheers
Scott
bushy

Postby bushy » Wed May 12, 2010 5:16 am

I tried Steve's work around but it does not work for me. Still have to reboot to get DVB card working again. Please advise.

Thanks
Scott
bushy

Postby steve » Mon May 17, 2010 6:59 am

bushy try restarting the Windows Media Center Receiver Service manually from services to see if it cures the problem. Then if it does, go for the full procedure I gave above. Hope it works for you.

UPDATE: the above workaround fix only works with v1.0.0.x drivers - it does not work with the v2.0.0.0 beta drivers as the sleep functionality has been removed. According to support as this driver was released for a specific application. However, v2.0.0.1 has the sleep functions reinstated and the above script functions without issues.
steve

Postby Paddy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:31 am

Hi,

I have this problem also. I have Windows 7 64 bit, Ati graphics with version 9.8 drivers installed (I had the sleep problem with my USB DVB-T and this driver fixed it for the DVB-T). I have the latest TBS6980 drivers installed from this website.

I don't really want to have to add a batch file, but is that the only fix?
Paddy

Postby Moo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Same issue here.

win7 64bit / ATI 4670 v9.8 drivers.

I'll give the batch file a whirl to see if it helps (Thanks Steve). Wife's HTPC acceptability factor has now reached critical so I'm looking for a quick fix. :cry:
Moo

Postby britishboy67 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:36 pm

i have found out exactly why it happens on my tbs8920 card and its possibly the same reason on 6980/1 cards. my problem is related to my card doesnt like suspend to ram (s3 hybrid sleep )

here is my solution.

1. open bios manager and goto the power management page

2 change the sleep mode from "s3" to "s1", then press "f10" (save settings and exit).

3 goto windows and open power options ( in control panel )

4 choose "change plan settings"

5 choose "change advanced power settings"

6 look in the list for sleep and click the plus sysmbol once

7 look for "hibernate after" and click the plus symbol once

8. now change the "setting" line to suit your own system.

your system will do a standard sleep after the amount of time you have set in the "sleep after" setting in your power plan, and will turn off at the "hibernate after" setting. when you return to your pc it will boot up a bit quicker, and back to all the programs that you had open when the machine when to sleep ( same as the s3 hybrid sleep setting but loads from hard disk instead of ram).

this is more secure than editing system files and doesnt compromise any security settings on the machine, and it gives half of the benefits of an s3 (suspend to ram) sytem. it's also independant of driver versions, as my problems are there if the drivers are installed or not!!!

THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION ONLY AND DOES NOT MEAN THAT ALL TBS CARDS ARE FAULTY IN ANY WAY. MY CARD FUNCTIONS AT 99%, THE REMAINING 1% BEING MY OWN PERSONAL ISSUE WITH THE S3 SETTING IN MY BIOS.

i PERSONALLY fInd that tbs cards do have a problem with suspend to ram on some motherboards with some or possibly all tbs internal cards (at least on my motherboard). the fix above has resolved my sleep problems and will turn off my pc after the given amount of time, it also has some of the benefits of a hybrid sleep (s3) that my motherboard does offer.

i do have another satellite card that uses the same cx23883-39 controller that my tbs 8920 card uses and has no issues with suspend to ram. so i suspect its maybe something else on the board and not the controller ( in my case ), that causes my "suspend to ram" issues, or the controller ( in my case ) has a fault on it.

the issues i have are there if the drivers are installed or not !!!

best regards to all

simon
britishboy67

Postby cody » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Simon, the problem with resume-from-sleep mentioned in this thread about 6980 is fixed a long time ago with driver update. however, TBS 6980 was having troubles with all kind of sleep modes (S1, S3) and that's why it was just a driver bug. in case of TBS 8920 something else is happening, because first of all the driver (either for 6980 or 8920) doesn't make any difference between S1 and S3, which is sure indicator that was is going on in your case is on hardware level.
cody

Postby andrewz » Sun May 22, 2011 2:31 pm

I have in bios sleep mode and awaken on 10:00 pm )
andrewz

Return to Windows