Moderator Control Panel ]

Do not use signal splitter for Dual Tuner card

Do not use signal splitter for Dual Tuner card

Postby okbet » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:15 pm

Dear TBS products users,
Please don't use any generic signal splitter for TBS 6981/6980 dual input.The reason is: If you use Tuner A to lock Vertical polarization transponder while using Tuner B to lock Horizontal polarization transponder,from Tuner A 13volt will be sent to LNB and from Tuner B 18volt will be sent,then only one tuner can work. Although there is protection on the board, we still strongly recommend you not to use any generic splitter for avoiding potential risk of burning.
Or you can use special splitter for satellite equipment with DC block on all its ports except one of them like it's shown in the attached diagram in case of two-way splitter with one port passing power and other having build-in DC block
if the splitter does not have build-in DC Blocks on all of its ports except one of them then DC Block Adapter has to be used:
if DC Blocks are not in place then short-cicuit happens, because all splitter ports pass power from the LNB Out and any connected equipment to that splitter like for example TBS 6980/1 card can burn.
Last edited by okbet on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
okbet

Re: Do not use signal splitter for Dual Tuner card

Postby threads » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:40 pm

I used a multiswitch on mine connected to a dual output lnb (to pick up the different polarity signals) rather than a splitter.

There's a definition of what a multiswitch is on Wikipedia here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiswitch

I bought mine on eBay for around $(US)15.

Dual output lnb is kinda mentioned on wikipedia here..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-noise_block_converter#Dual.2FQuad.2FOcto_LNBs

I bought mine from a local auction site for about $((US)25. I think the model I have is a WS Internaational DMX-522.(http://www.wsidigital.com/dmx522-linear-ku-band-usa-n-american-lnbf.htm)

My multiswitch is a 3 x 4. Takes 3 inputs (H polarity, V polarity and an UHF) and has four outputs. I have one RG6 cable running from one of the LNB outputs to one of the H polarity inputs, the other from the other LNB output to the V polarity input. Then I run two short patch cables from two of the outputs from the multiswitch to the F connectors on the TBS6980 card.

My setup allows me to watch or record a different polarity TV channel while watching another. I'm very pleased with how well and how reliably it works with the TBS6980 - especially now with the new Win7 drivers.

Hope this help others who are interested in a similar setup. :)
threads

Postby cody » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:52 pm

@threads

thank you for sharing details about your setup and it's good to hear for happy customer. i believe it will be very useful to some customers that want to get more from their TBS Dual DVB-S2 cards.

however, lately a lot of customers, because i guess it seems easy for them to try it use "all-ports-power-pass" splitters instead splitters with DC blocks on all their ports except one and as a result cause short-circuit and burn their TBS Dual DVB-S2 cards.
cody

Postby bwegner » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:25 am

would it be possible to use a stacker/destacker in combination with tbs 6981?
bwegner

Postby cody » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 am

bwegner Wrote:would it be possible to use a stacker/destacker in combination with tbs 6981?

is "stacker/destacker" supposed to be another name for DiSEqC switch? if so, then the answer is yes, it would be possible.
cody

Postby bwegner » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:10 pm

no, its a hardware tool, which allows to put two signals on one wire and split this again into two wires.

In detail:
* Two LNB signals/ wires
* Stacker puts two signals in one wire
* Destacker splits the signals into two wires again
bwegner

Postby cody » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:44 am

then at least i can't answer your questing - it's the first time i'm hearing for such a device.
cody

Postby BlindFaith » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:07 pm

Stacker/destacker are well known, though they don't represent the stat of the art (e.g. unicable) anymore.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/stacker.htm

@bwegner, you could give it a try. It should be transparent to the card though I don't have any experience with said arrangements..

/edit
... I don't think a stacker will work with 2 independant universal lnbs.
BlindFaith

Postby bwegner » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:13 am

In my case I have a 5/8 multiswitch and I use two of the 8 as input to the stacker.

IMHO the stacker/ destacker should not affect the TBS card, but currently it doesn't work using the TBS 6981 card. The signal get's lost after a while.
But a stand alone receiver doesn't take care about the stacker and receives good signal on both destacked cables.

So far I do not know if the stacker is not supported by TBS card, the card is broken or any other cause.
bwegner

Postby cody » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:00 am

i don't know for my colleagues, but as i already mentioned - i've never heard before for stacker/destacker device or used such device and at least i can't suggest anything what could be the problem.
cody

Return to Windows