Moderator Control Panel ]

Black screen

Black screen

Postby Moramatte » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Each morning I have the famous black screen on the channels from my TBS card.
have searched both this and the DVBLogic forums and found no solutions that has made a difference.
The worst thing is that nightly recordings get only black.

I never put my computer to sleep. It is black also in TBSViewer. I have a AMD E-350 dual core 1,6 GHz CPU.
I have a Huppage USB DVB-T2 tuner as well and that one has not the black screen problem. I have unchecked the DVBLink device setting "Close stream on idle".

The only thing that brings the TBS card back from blackness is a computer restart. Log on/off does not help.

What I want is at least a workaround. Is there some restart TBS card script or something that I schedule to run in the night? I need to be able to trust my recordings.
Moramatte

Re: Black screen

Postby Moramatte » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:12 pm

I updated to driver 2.0.0.20 yesterday.
I wanted to record some shows during the night so I left the channel open and the recordings worked.

In the morning the channel was still straming (no black screen). I closed the live channel while testing the recordings. That took only a few minutes but it was enough to bring back the blackness. A restart was required. Perhaps this information helps the TBS staff in some way?
Moramatte

Postby steven » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi
I can not image what the Black screen in your situation,would you mind give us some picture about Black screen,
and some detail information.

Thanks
steven

Postby Moramatte » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:58 pm

I am sure it is exactly the same black screen behaviour as in many other threads here and in the DVBLogic forum. For example the "No signal after resume from sleep" thread.

Details:
I watch TV with Windows Media Center and DVBLogic´s TVSource. Let´s concentrate on the watching and recording on the server machine. (Disregard networking with DVBLink).

When the black screen occurs it is the signal (stream) from the TBS tuners that is all black. The Media Centers overlay controls are fine and everything is responsive. I can switch channels normally but the stream is all black from the TBS tuners. If I switch to a channel from the Hauppage tuner the stream works and I can watch my TV. Switching back to a TBS channel and I have all black again until I restart the machine.

This is obviously not the first time you have heard of the black screen defect, and I imagine there is no easy solution. However I would really like to know if there is some way to restart the TBS card so I don't have to restart the whole machine at least once a day.
Moramatte

Postby steven » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi
Is this problem occur when resume from sleep?and would you mind remove Hauppage tuner and try again.
Thanks
steven

Postby Moramatte » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:21 pm

I never let my server sleep. (Like I said in the first post)
No difference with or without the Hauppage tuner.

Notice that the new thread "Help Black Screen" is exactly the same problem.
It is time you start taking this major defect seriously. Never being able to trust a scheduled recording is a showstopper!
For me the card is useless now considering how totally unreliable it is.

More detals:
The black screen of death can come whenever. After an hour, five minutes or a day. Once it even happened directly after a reboot.
The card is seldom able to use both tuners simultaneously without green artifacts in one or both streams.
Sometimes after a reoot the stream is hacked up showing only a few scan lines (like vertical sync probles) and I need to restart again.
When having the black screen, the card still functions in terms of transponder scanning.
Moramatte

Postby steven » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:24 am

Hi Moramatte

Please do not worry about this problem,we are try our best to solve this problem now.
And would you mind try to do not use DVBlogic to have a test, or have a test on other Platform.

Thanks
steven

Postby mike180 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:37 pm

I would like to add my two cents to this issue...

I too suffer from the inexplicable black screen issues, which like the others who experience this, come along as they please. It usually happens after the system has been left idle (i too have turned off sleep as this often resulted in all feeds from the tuner going black!). i played with keeping the stream active, but then although i could use the tuner, it would get stuck on the last thing it was being used for, and DVBlink would have a fit trying to change channel (and crash)

I have a friend with this card in his machine, and he too gets black screens from the second tuner feed. the only thing our systems have in common is the operating system (windows 7 64bit), DVBlink, and the Core i3 chipset.

I wrote to TBS a few days ago, and got a nice reply saying they were not aware of any issue, and how thousands of these cards are in use in a diverse range of applications, so its unlikely to be a hardware issue, and it seemed to imply it wasnt drivers either - they are claiming its a fault of DVBlink.

I'm sorry, but if you sell your tuner as being BDA compatible, then that it should be - it should work with all BDA compatible TV software. DVBlogic has taken great steps to try and accommodate this tuner, and all have apparently failed for many users, this to me implies the drivers (at least the windows ones) are at fault.

I'd appreciate some support on this issue, after shelling out to buy what was advertised as the best dual DVB-S2 tuner on the market, only to find half my recordings blank, and if i want to watch TV in the other room on an extender, i'm likely to get a black screen, or if i'm lucky just a distorted one.

Thanks for your time,
Mike
mike180

Postby Moramatte » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi Steven

I did uninstall DVBLink a few days ago to test youor card on its own.
It is stable. It can use both tuners simultaneously, switch channel fast and there is no black screen of death.

Going without DVBLink is however not a suitable workaround for me. I need that functionality.

mike180 says that DVBLogic has taken great steps to try and accomodate this tuner. Can you guys please assist the DVBLogic guys so a solution can emerge? :-)
Moramatte

Postby steven » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi Moramatte

Thanks for you test and feel happy that it works fine now, we are contacting DVBLogic to solve this problem,if we have any
progress about this problem,we will contact you as soon as possible.

Thanks
steven

Next

Return to Windows