Moderator Control Panel ]

Cabling of the TBS6981

Cabling of the TBS6981

Postby ritchie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:49 am

Hi,

I just installed the card and connected only one of the three addtional power plug. Is this correct or Do I have to connect all 3 plug of the additional power supply ?

Grettings R.
ritchie

Re: Cabling of the TBS6981

Postby cody » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:55 am

hi, it's correct - the idea of the 3 additional plugs is - if there is not enough power connect one of them (as you did), if there is still not enough power connect the next plug, etc. all three connected plugs will provide enough power in any case and in the common case you don't need additional power at all and it's OK all 3 additional plugs to be disconnected in such case.
cody

Postby atef » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:21 pm

hi,
I Ordered the 6981 card .. and hopefully I'll receive it next week.
So do u mean I can use the card without connecting the power plug?
And if encounter a problem I should connect a power plug right ?

thanks
atef

Postby cody » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 am

atef Wrote:hi,

thanks

yes, that's exactly what i mean. i'm using every day 6981 on 3 different computer systems for all kind of tests and i don't use the external power plug of 6981 in any of those systems, because their PCI-Express slots provide enough power, but in some very rare cases it could be necessary to use external power, because the power from the slot on the motherboard is not enough.
cody

Postby atef » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:34 am

Thats great news because i want to use as less cables as i can in my HTPC, because they block the air flow.

thanks
atef

Postby Fingers » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:55 am

cody Wrote:
atef Wrote:hi,

thanks

yes, that's exactly what i mean. i'm using every day 6981 on 3 different computer systems for all kind of tests and i don't use the external power plug of 6981 in any of those systems, because their PCI-Express slots provide enough power, but in some very rare cases it could be necessary to use external power, because the power from the slot on the motherboard is not enough.

I was annoyed that the printed instructions have NO mention of any of this. I wondered why the three connector lead had been included!

It worked but only in the first PCI-E slot and DID NOT need the extra power cable.
Fingers

Return to Windows