Moderator Control Panel ]

Problem with tuners in use by another program

Problem with tuners in use by another program

Postby Benoire » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi,

I've been using EPGCollector to grab the EPG from the DVB stream as Argus-TV can't get the EPG right with it's built in scanners. I had EPGCollector set to run every 3 hours to get the latest in EPG, even during Live TV. It appears however that the TBS drivers (according to the developer of EPGCollector) are unable to detect whether the card is in use by another program and steals the tuners. This causes any active recordings or live tv to be stopped until the EPGCollector grab is complete and the program is no longer needing a tuner. You can then start the stream up again within Argus-TV and all is well.

Is this a bug in the driver or an intended outcome that programs do not appear to be able to share the tuners?

For reference I am running 2 TBS 6981 cards in my HTPC and the problem is suffered no matter which card I select in Argus-TV or EPGCollector.

Thanks,

Chris
Benoire

Re: Problem with tuners in use by another program

Postby steven » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:56 am

Hi Benoire

If the tuner shared with two programs ,we think that it is not a safe way ,Your EPGCollector need to get the stream but
this stream is on receiving by your recording soft.
> It appears however that the TBS drivers (according to the developer of EPGCollector) are unable to detect whether the card is in use by another program
Can you tell us that EPGCollector need what interface about this ?

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby Benoire » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 am

steven Wrote:Hi Benoire

If the tuner shared with two programs ,we think that it is not a safe way ,Your EPGCollector need to get the stream but
this stream is on receiving by your recording soft.
> It appears however that the TBS drivers (according to the developer of EPGCollector) are unable to detect whether the card is in use by another program
Can you tell us that EPGCollector need what interface about this ?

Kind Regards

steven

HI Steven,

I can understand your view with this, however in my case I have 4 TBS tuners with EPG Collector set to run as a scheduled task. EPGCollector has been programmed to check each tuner and determine if they're in use or not but if you're not allowing tuner sharing then it can't determine if they are in use and assumes that their not and therefore steals them all from the current program stopping any recording or live tv.

Normally allowing the actual TV program to capture the EPG from the DVB stream is ideal, but here in NZ the EIT stream is unfortunately not aired correctly and you get repeated information. EPGCollector can do a lot more than standard built in software and therefore works well, hence my using of it.

I'm afraid I do not know what EPGCollector or the drivers would need to do to interface correctly I am simply a user, however EPGCollector is opensource and stored on soureforge at the following address: http://sourceforge.net/projects/epgcollector/

The developer, NZSJB, can be got hold off on the discussion pages.

Thanks for the reply,

Chris
Benoire

Postby Benoire » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:40 am

Sorry to drag this one out of the depths. Did you ever change the driver model to allow for the sharing of tuners across programs?
Benoire

Return to Windows