Moderator Control Panel ]

About PCI-Express compatibility issues

About PCI-Express compatibility issues

Postby warumnix » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Edited: it applies to some other TBS PCIe products

Hello TBS users :D

Thank you for using TBS products, especially the classic one - TBS 6981 DVB-S2 dual tuner card!
Unfortunately, there are rumors spreading in some forums and maybe also some B2C platforms, we’d like to provide some information based on our tests & investigation, so that you won’t be misled by the wrong information or rumors.

“TBS 6981 has critical PCI-Express compatibility issues with many motherboards, but similar products from other brands don’t have such problems.”

This is not true, according to our current tests, there are only a few motherboards that have PCI-Express compatibility problem with the TBS 6981, of course if the problem is caused by our hardware or software, we try to fix it, please check the list below:

* Dell PowerEdge R720 server
tested, not working, Dell support refuse to help

* SuperMicro
tested, just 2 of their motherboard models not working
we have provided samples to them, and according to SuperMicro, they continue to look at it, the issue is due to "PCIe reverse lane and polarity inversion", i.e.
SuperMicro is very supportive and can offer any solution at the moment, so it is kindly recommended you contact SuperMicro and us once you have problems using SuperMicro motherboards with TBS products.

* other motherboard makers
ASRock latest motherboards are confirmed, there are 6 latest models motherboards from ASRock that were tested, they all have PCIe slots v2.0 or v3.0 and all of them works perfectly fine with all TBS cards.
- the only issue is with CX23885-13Z on motherboards with latest AMD chipsets, but CX23885-15Z is fine on those same motherboard, as well SAA716x is fine. ASRock are part of Asus and if their motherboards are fine, all Asus motherboard should be fine too.
Gigabyte was the first company when the old BIOS bug appeared, we sent samples and they are all fine since then. More or less that are all major manufacturers, as well all motherboard manufacturers use the same BIOS cores.
In fact, all PCIe interfaces we use are PCI-SIG certified, which is a fact that can be checked here:
http://www.pcisig.com/developers/compliance_program/integrators_list/pcie/

Before reporting any compatibility issue, it is very important to check if the BIOS of the motherboard you are using are up-to-date, since we have a bunch of cases where the problem was easily solved just by updating the BIOS.
PCIe specification requires mandatory backward compatibility, which means any PCIe slot v2.x or v3.x needs to support PCIe v1.x, which actually makes TBS cards the most compatible since they work in any PCIe slot.
If you are experience such issues, please do let us know, we will be glad to help and it’ll be much appreciated that you share the experience with other users here when the problem is sorted out ;)

Thank you for your attention!
warumnix

Re: About PCI-Express compatibility issues

Postby korobass » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:03 pm

Hello all interested in pci-express compatibility issues.

I've bought recently card TBS 6220 DVB-T/T2 and was really suprised that it hasn't being recognized by hp 6300 pro based on i3.
As i had similar issue with my previous tuner card which was hauppauge wintv-hvr-1200 i just check tbs card in another pc and as i suspected it has been recognized.

However didn't know what is the exact issue with it until i found out this forum thread and figured out that there are different versions of PCI-E slots and TBS at least model that i bought is based on version 1.

Anyway i started digging around and hadn't found any resolution of my issue. Upgrading BIOS on hp 6300 didn't help.

If you have any idea what else can be done to make it working on my PC i will be much appreciated.

Below is specifications of two PC HP SFF box on which i had tried the TBS 6220 tuner.

HP 6000 Pro specification on which tuner is working:
Code: Select All Code
media                     
    description: Low Profile Desktop Computer
    product: HP Compaq 6000 Pro SFF PC (AT492AV)
    vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    width: 64 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.6 dmi-2.6 vsyscall32

firmware
          description: BIOS
          physical id: 1
          version: 786G2 v02.03
          date: 10/19/2015
          size: 128KiB

Type: x1 PCI Express
   Type: x1 PCI Express
   Type: x16 PCI Express 2

HP 6300 Pro specification on which tuner doesn't being recognized in PCI-E slot:
Code: Select All Code
    description: Low Profile Desktop Computer
    product: HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF (QV985AV)
    width: 64 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.7 dmi-2.7 vsyscall32

*-firmware
          description: BIOS
          physical id: 0
          version: K01 v03.04
          date: 10/05/2016
          size: 64KiB
          capacity: 15MiB
          capabilities: pci pnp upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect edd int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer acpi usb biosbootspecification netboot uefi

Type: x16 PCI Express 2 x16
   Type: x4 PCI Express 2 x4
   Type: x1 PCI Express 2 x1
korobass

Re: About PCI-Express compatibility issues

Postby crazycat » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:56 am

ask HP for BIOS update :)
crazycat

Return to Windows