Moderator Control Panel ]

Pre-sales questions / Sharing signal between TV and TBS card

Pre-sales questions / Sharing signal between TV and TBS card

Postby deeveebeenoobee » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:29 am

Hi all,

I'm a fairly inexperienced DVB-S/S2 user and would like to ask some pre-sales questions before I buy some TBS tuner cards.

I would like to share a satellite TV connection between my TV (which has its own built-in DVB-S/S2 receiver) and my HTPC.

1. Not sure how DiSEqC standards work but I see the TBS6981/TBS6982 specs mention DiSEqC 2.x support. Does this mean it also supports DiSEqC 1.2? What about 1.2/USALS?

2. According to this thread I need to use DC Block Adapters if I'm using a generic splitter. I'm using this splitter, do I still need DC Block Adapters?

3. What happens if the channel is changed on one device (the TV) which requires operation of the motor and before it finishes rotating the dish, another device (the tuner card) also tries to operate the positioner? Would that damage the motor/card/tv or wait until the motor has stopped moving before operating it again?

Here's my wiring/device layout:

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
DVBNB
deeveebeenoobee

Re: Pre-sales questions / Sharing signal between TV and TBS

Postby updatelee » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:21 am

Is your lnb bandstacked ? not many are.

most lnb's use 13v or 18v to switch V/H polarities. therfore you need a dual output lnb.

Also only one receiver will be able to control the motor at a time.

lnb -> motor -> receiver 1
lnb -> receiver 2

Do you really need that inline amp ? 99% of the time those cause more issues then they solve. Ive used one in my entire career as a satellite installer and it was on an 800ft run that I had to use exsisting RG6 on and couldnt use anything else.

UDL
TBS6925/5980, Prof 7301/7500/8000, Genpix Skywalker-1, Skystar 2 Express HD
Hauppauge 950Q, Kworld 330U/435v3/445v3
Dreambox 800

I use Linux and support open source projects.
updatelee

Postby deeveebeenoobee » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:17 am

Thanks for the info updatelee. If bandstacked LNBs are not that common then I guess we probably don't have one.

The guy who installed it normally goes with basic gear.

Does this mean I can't even watch channels on the same Satellite from two receivers (the TV and the HTPC) or just that I can't control the motor from one receiver at a time?
deeveebeenoobee

Postby updatelee » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:43 am

There are ways of slaving a second tuner so it can watch channels on the same polarity as the master. But personally I'd just get a dual output lnb.

No matter the setup you'll always end up with one tuner controlling the motor and the second watching whatever the motor us pointing to.

UDL
TBS6925/5980, Prof 7301/7500/8000, Genpix Skywalker-1, Skystar 2 Express HD
Hauppauge 950Q, Kworld 330U/435v3/445v3
Dreambox 800

I use Linux and support open source projects.
updatelee

Return to Windows