Moderator Control Panel ]

TBS 6981 not recognised by Windows 7

TBS 6981 not recognised by Windows 7

Postby m1maj » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:43 pm

I have a TBS 6981 card on a 64-bit Windows 7 system, used with DVBlink software. When new, all worked perfectly.

Then after a while, all of a sudden, I found that the card did not work after the machine woke up from sleep or hibernation. However it did work perfectly if I rebooted. This was a real nuisance as it meant that if the machine woke up to do a recording from the card, the recording would always fail.

Notwithstanding the inconvenience, I just lived with this problem for some time, rebooting if I wanted to use the satellite card. (I also have a terrestrial tuner card which doesn't suffer from this effect). However recently the problem seems to have got worse. For the last week or two, I have been unable to use the card however often I reboot.

DVBlink reports the source as "not present". If I force Windows Device Manager to show hidden devices, it reports:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

and the advice is:

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

but of course the device is installed and there is nothing I can do to "reconnect" it. I have tried moving the card to different slot, to no effect. Other cards seem to work in the same slot.

The installed driver version is 2.0.1.7 dated 2013-11-12, which I think is the latest available.

I am beginning to think that the card must be faulty, and has in fact been marginal for most of the time that I've been using it. However I'm posting in the hope that somebody recognises the symptoms as something that can be fixed. Are there any tests I can do to confirm that the card is definitely faulty? Any other ideas?
m1maj

Re: TBS 6981 not recognised by Windows 7

Postby m1maj » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:09 pm

I eventually decided to give up on this card. After some vacillation I replaced it with a DVBSky S952. It works fine with my existing DVBlink software.

It was about half the price of the nearest equivalent TBS card. Perhaps there is something it doesn't do that the TBS card does, but if so I haven't found it yet.
m1maj

Return to Windows