Moderator Control Panel ]

PC-card only for C and Ku band?

PC-card only for C and Ku band?

Postby satesco » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi Steven,Hi Bob,
Those who see this map of the signal can easily see that some signals may lock and the other,not.This is true on most satellites that transmit feeds,whether the signal is either Ku-band or in C-band.I chose it at random;there are many examples of this type.Fortunately, so far, TBS6925 card manages to lock the signal in both band and it happens also to lock different modulations signal!An advantage that it does not have other pc-cards on the market for the regular users.
Now,if we look at the signal map above,we see easily that there are satellite signals that this card will never be able to lock them.And probably will not lock these signals so long as we do not know on what band are transmitted.I must say that it's not about weak signal here,but those that are transmitted in other frequencies,used for other purposes, whether commercial or military, or otherwise.And as far as we know, there are four types of frequencies used for transmitting satellite signal,those in use for ordinary consumers:L-Band (1-2 GHz),C-Band (4-8 GHz),Ku-Band (12-18 GHz),Ka-Band (26.5-40 GHz),and for which a suitable receiving equipment is needed.
In this respect I ask you two questions,one for my understanding:1.why some frequencies can not be locked although the signal is quite high?,and on the other hand,I have a desire:2. can you create a pc-card capable to be used for the four satellite band{L,C,Ku & Ka}?
Or we just need a dedicated lnb for each band?
I hope my questions have been put right.
Any response is welcome and appreciated.Thanks
satesco

Re: PC-card only for C and Ku band?

Postby DVB » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:27 am

I'm not Steven or Bob, but hope that my answer will help ;)

1. There are some transmissions that are not DVB compliant. For example Newtec modification of DVB stream - on such cases only hardware especially designed to such transmission can receive them. It's just like TBS6925 cannot lock... analog transmissions - demodulator just doesn't understand what he gets. In Europe there are now four of them at 13°E: 11,334H, 11,373H, 11,432H and 12,539H. Also some at 5°W. No way to receive them :(

2. TBS6925 is already able to do it :) I had succedeed with Ka-Band receiving :D You have right that we need dedicated LNB. For example TBS6925 don't receive 10,700 - 12,750 GHz for Ku-Band, but receive in fact 950 - 2150 MHz from LNB. If any LNB is able to "convert" signal from higher frequencies to 950-2150 MHz - TBS6925 will able to receive it flawlessly, like Ku or C-Band. Ka-Band works here like a charm, but only data feeds from 33°W, SaorView from 9°E got perfectly cutted beam, so no signal :( Friends from Ireland should be able to receive it :D Ka-Band LNB now getting cheaper, so go for it! :D
And now you're watching 8K:
KKKKKKKK
:)
DVB

Postby steven » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 am

Hi DVB&satesco

First ,thanks very much for DVB's reply. :D

As DVB had said that TBS6925 can receive 950M - 2150M,So maybe you need to get a dedicated lnb for each band. :)

and a good news that.
Now a new designed card which can capture 250M - 2150M, after we have made this one you can use this to have a try too. :D

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby satesco » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi DVB,

Thanks for your prompt response and enlightening.
As you say there is no doubt what type of LNB must be used for each band.But I am interested in those signals which are rather strong but can't be locked,as you can see on satspectr above.These signals are in Ku-band otherwise spectrometer would not show them.This type of signal occur mainly on satellites which transmit feeds.

Steven Wrote:Now a new designed card which can capture 250M - 2150M, after we have made this one you can use this to have a try too

What type of card will be?Could you elaborate the idea?Tbs6925 will be renewed or a completely different card?What card you have in mind?
Already made ​​me curious :)
satesco

Postby DVB » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 am

steven Wrote:and a good news that.
Now a new designed card which can capture 250M - 2150M, after we have made this one you can use this to have a try too. :D

If it has got possibilities as great as TBS6925 (16APSK/32APSK, MIS, ACM/VCM) - just send price and account number :D I'm buying it :D TBS rulez, the best DVB cards :D

PS: My dreams for somewhere in future: DVB card like TBS6925 but with CI slot like TBS6928 - that would be hammer for me ;) Or even CI+ as more broadcasters here put CI+ solutions on market (damn :( CI+ is bad, but looks like there is no way to avoid CI+ to gain notable market share :( )

satesco Wrote:I am interested in those signals which are rather strong but can't be locked,as you can see on satspectr above.These signals are in Ku-band otherwise spectrometer would not show them.This type of signal occur mainly on satellites which transmit feeds.

You are in Europe? Dou You have any sample frequency? There are plenty of non-DVB signals, some of them can be recognized (but not received). Also 16APSK/32APSK in some cases need to have good C/N to get lock, but probably all "high signal but no lock" cases must be analysed separately. Probably there will be never such DVB card/stand alone receiver that can receive anything as in fact any company can made modification of DVB stream in some way to avoid of receiving it by non-dedicated hardware... And there are also non-DVB ways - Digicipher or well known in Asia ABS-S ;) If broadcaster will be determined to disable any way to lock signal - it is able to do that, always.

<joke>This is war, we are soldiers, we must attack transmissions of our enemies: broadcasters :D There are victims, like on every war, but we fight for victory (with help of TBS great hardware ;) )</joke>
And now you're watching 8K:
KKKKKKKK
:)
DVB

Postby satesco » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi DVB,

Yes,I'm from Europe and like in many parts of the world,there are many satellites with feeds.
I agree with you that for many signals you need to have a better C / N ratio to lock them.There is no doubt about it.Also agree with protecting the stream as it is not received by anyone.But this explanation is valid up to a point so long as not yet created a hardware card able to decode this type of signal,or as you rightly name-stream.And as you say, this stream is received only with dedicated receivers.I would say that in this way they are trying to protect the stream by hardware rather than by software.As to decode the signal type you need a new technology, while for the content of a program you just need a software,or if you like a patch.But what Tenow did with TBS 6925 version is just the beginning that such signals can be received if such hardware is created.And in this respect they rules in the PC cards.
Now you understand why I addressed to Steven and Bob when I opened this topic.
On this occasion I/we was/were happy that they tell us something new in this regard:they are considering a new card that know something more than TBS6925,or so I understand.It's up to them whether in terms of market worth launched such cards. Like you, I said that I'm curious to find out more about the new card.
best regards
satesco

Postby tempo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Probably the new TBS card will be based on STV6120 tuner IC:
http://www.st.com/internet/imag_video/p ... 250051.jsp
http://www.serit.hk/Products_Details.aspx?IDX=128
Input frequency range 250 MHz to 2150 MHz
tempo

Return to Windows