Moderator Control Panel ]

[SOLVED] Linux modules manual loading

[SOLVED] Linux modules manual loading

Postby jsveiga » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to use a TBS8921 receiver for the automatic peak search feature of a dish pointer system (all I need are measurements for rssi when not locked and rssi + quality when locked; no actual video receiving).

The board is installed on a mini-ITX x86 board running linux debian 6.0 (squeeze), 2.6.32-5 kernel.

I have compiled and installed the linux-tbs-drivers from tbs-linux-drivers_v120424.zip without errors, but board doesn't show on lspci (should it?).

Because this is an embedded system, my debian installation is bare minimum (no x11, of course), and filesystems are mounted read-only at boot (except from /lib/init/rw, /var/run, /var/lock, /dev/shm, /tmp, and /var/log, which are mounted as tmpfs (ram)).

I manually loaded (modprob) cx88-dvb and I got a lot of "cx88_dvb: disagrees about version of symbol xxx" on dmesg, and it did not load, but it autoloaded the following modules:
btcx_risc
cx8802
cx88_vp3054_i2c
cx88xx
dvb_core
ir_jvc_decoder, ir_lirc_codec, ir_mce_kbd_decoder, ir_nec_decoder, ir_rc5_decoder, ir_rc6_decoder, ir_sony_decoder,
lirc_dev
media
rc_core
tveeprom
v4l2_common

The symbols it complained about (which prevented cx88-dvb to load) were:
vp3054_i2c_remove
cx8802_get_driver
videobuf_dvb_alloc_frontend
cx8802_unregister_driver
cx8802_register_driver
videobuf_dvb_get_frontend
videobuf_queue_sg_init
cx8802_buf_prepare
cx88_setup_xc3028
dvb_frontend_detach
videobuf_dvb_unregister_bus
videobuf_dvb_register_bus
cx88_free_buffer
dvb_unregister_frontend
cx8802_buf_queue
videobuf_dvb_dealloc_frontends
videobuf_dvb_find_frontend
vp3054_i2c_probe
Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

Joao S Veiga
Last edited by jsveiga on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsveiga

Re: Linux modules manual loading

Postby jsveiga » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:07 am

I also tried copying
linux-tbs-drivers/v4l/Module.symvers
to
/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-686/build/Module.symvers
as they were different even after "make install"
jsveiga

[SOLVED] Re: Linux modules manual loading

Postby jsveiga » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:10 am

Ok, so I assumed cx88-dvb was the module to load, but maybe it isn't (the cx88-dvb.ko is not built with the tbs drivers; the one I have came with my kernel image .deb).
I tried then cx88-dvb-core, which gave me a different error (but did not "disagrees" about versions).

FATAL: Error inserting cx88_dvb_core (/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-686/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb-core.ko): No such device

Maybe the same reason why I don't see the board in lspci?

So I pulled the board from my mini-ITX, and installed another identical TBS-8921, and after boot the modules were automatically loaded, and I can see the board on lspci:
03:05.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder (rev 05)
03:05.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [MPEG Port] (rev 05)

None of the boards were ever used, I purchased them quite a long ago (as soon as they were released IIRC), but they were sitting in their boxes waiting for the dish pointer to be developed. I'm VEEERY happy I bought 2, or else I'd be looping around trying to make this work...

Thanks, and best regards,

...on to try to get measurements from the board...

Joao S Veiga

EDIT: ...aaand I just fixed the "bad" card with a pencil eraser. The pci contacts were just oxidized; cleaning them brought the card back to life. We had removed this one from the box to "see, touch, smell" it when they arrived, and stored it back in the box. More than a year for the finger sweat acids to work, and without the original silica bag (they are there for a reason) added some patina to the pci connector.
jsveiga

Return to Linux