Moderator Control Panel ]

TBS 5921 won't tune

TBS 5921 won't tune

Postby syntekker » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Hi all.
I am new to satellite tuning so maybe my problem is my lack of knowledge but here goes. I have a new TBS 5921 and am trying to get it to work with windows XP. I initially used the software and drivers from the supplied disc. Using them I could blind scan OK and got 31 channels. The TBSviewer however will not find any channels during a scan. I live in Brisbane Australia and have a one year old dish that is aimed for Optus D1 160 degrees. The dish works with the original satellite box supplied.
I then downloaded the latest software and drivers from the TBS web site. Now none of the software will scan and blindscan now reports "don't work with this interface".
The driver is version 1.0.0.5
I have also tried the device with Ubuntu 10.04 after compiling the latest drivers etc. Ubuntu correctly loads the device but mythtv will not scan at all. It is recognised and set up correctly but won't work.
Question is what have I missed and what can I supply to help debug this situation.
Thanks in advance.
syntekker

Re: TBS 5921 won't tune

Postby syntekker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:26 am

Found that mostly the problem was the idiot using the software (me!).
I unloaded all drivers and software from my XP machine and re installed ONLY the latest from the TBS downloads. My dish is actually aimed at OptusC1 not D1. Also the OptusC1 apparently will not work with any of the default settings. To get it to work I used TBSViewer and did a scan of a frequency range with LnbFrequHi = 10700, LnbFrequLo = 10700, LnbSLOF = 10700. I had selected OptusC1 as the transponder and selected no root target. In a matter of seconds I had 250+ channels locked fine. This also worked in DVBViewer. Neither would display a picture however simply installing VLC player got things going.
Since I am really only after the Free To Air channels I figured I would not need to muck around with decryption. Unfortunately Messrs Murdoch and Co have decided that Free To Air means encrypt the signal and charge for a subscription to get it. Should be called "Free To Pay". Am now re aiming the dish to OptusD1 as most Free To Air are supposed to be there unencrypted. I can get two channels unencrypted on OptusC1 perfectly so all hardware and software is working exactly as intended. Will post all details once I have it going on OptusD1.
syntekker

Return to Windows