Moderator Control Panel ]

5980 gets very hot and stops working

5980 gets very hot and stops working

Postby Cham » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi, new to this forum.
Been working with the TBS5980 for a while, found some troubles.

#1) The 5980 gets really hot and becomes inoperable after 10-15 minutes.
I found a heat sink that fits on the top of the unit (not attached, just sits on top) that helps, but I feel it gets hotter than it should. It is connected to one port of a dual DRO C-band LNBF. Have not had trouble with stand-alone satellite receivers on this LNBF.
Checked the power supply for the TBS5980. Open circuit voltage is about 9vdc, but I also measure 2v A/C. Is this normal? maybe related to the heat issue? If I unplug the power supply and reverse the plug and plug it back in, the AC voltage disappears. Seems to depend on which way it is plugged in. (mains plugs here are 120VAC, one prong is A/C, other is neutral, third (optional, if device has a grounded plug) is ground) The supplied plug/cable is NOT polarized.

#2) LED on front, sometimes red, sometimes blue.
I have not found anything documented relating to this LED. Sometimes it blinks blue when connecting or powering up the unit, sometimes not. Sometimes turns blue when locked onto a transponder, sometimes stays red. Seems to depend on software too, seems to turn blue more often when used with SmartDVB.

is there any information available about these topics?

Thank you.
-C.
Cham

Re: 5980 gets very hot and stops working

Postby Cham » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:02 am

The 5980 only seems to run for a minute or two now before it stops receiving. USB still shows it is connected but no signal from the LNBF. Been using a different power supply so as not to "cook" the unit but I suspect damage was already been done. Is there a way to get warranty or RMA for this unit? Haven't heard from the original vendor, have sent them a few messages.
Cham

Postby freddy12 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:39 am

ive got the same tuner and mine runs really hot aswell, it works for abit then stops so i just ordered a different tuner from another company to try an compare
freddy12

Postby Cham » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Freddy let me know if the new one works.

I am thinking I might have to go with an internal PCI model instead. Would really like the 6983 but it's too much of a gamble considering my experience with the 5980. Have been looking into other sources too.
Cham

Postby Cham » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:10 am

Now I REALLY regret purchasing the 5980... It's pretty much junk compared to the PCIe card I picked up.

Picked up a TBS6903 PCIe card.

The new device just works. Does everything it's supposed to. Much better receiver, better s/n than my other receivers especially the 5980 (when it does/did work). I have one port on the existing stationary dish setup, and the second port on a motorized 90cm Ku dish. Crazyscan, DVBDream, and SmartDVB, each work very well with this card. Only issue I have found so far is SmartDVB's blindscan interface doesn't seem to work properly with this card for some reason. Maybe an update will fix this.
Also fun scanning in the 16 and 32apsk signals...

Obviously best to spend the extra $$ if one is serious about this hobby!
I'm glad I gave TBS a second chance. Was going to purchase another product but reviews on the 6903 and 6983 were good and others who I have known in the hobby for many years recommended these cards.
-C.
Cham

Return to Windows