Moderator Control Panel ]

Any success in getting a TBS5922 to work with Mythbuntu?

Any success in getting a TBS5922 to work with Mythbuntu?

Postby Mythological » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:07 pm

My question is simple (I hope): Has anyone been successful in getting a TBS5922 to work with Mythbuntu, specifically the MythTV backend? I have searched the web high and low to try and find any reviews or how-tos on the subject and I can't find a single thing anywhere. I already have the MythTV setup and also the necessary satellite equipment (dishes, DiSEqC switch, etc.) but just want to know if this is pretty much a "plug and play" device that is easy to configure in MythTV. I am NOT all that experienced with Linux, and in particular, I am not comfortable doing much of anything from the Linux command prompt; I'm much more comfortable in a program that provides some kind of GUI, so basically I just want some assurance that this device actually works with MythTV/Mythbuntu as one would expect. If there is limited functionality, or if it can't pick up certain types of signals in Mythbuntu I'd like to know that going in. I do NOT have a Windows computer that I can use during configuration; will that be an issue?

I'm only hesitant because I've been burned in the past by things that advertise Linux compatibility, and then you get them and discover that while they do have limited functionality under some versions of Linux, some things just don't work correctly. That's why I'd really like to know if anyone is actually using one of these devices under Mythbuntu, and how well it works in that configuration.
Mythological

Re: Any success in getting a TBS5922 to work with Mythbuntu?

Postby andrewjw » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:54 am

I've had limited success, but I'm not sure if that's down to the 5922 or my dish/cabling.

It's not entirely straightforward to get it to work because you've got to download, compile and install the drivers yourself. The instructions are quite good though and if you follow them to the letter you'll be fine. Once the drivers are installed setting up MythTV is very straightforward. I would suggest posting to the mythtv-users mailing list if you get stuck.

Hope that helps,
Andrew
andrewjw

Return to Linux