Moderator Control Panel ]

Kubuntu 12.10 64 bit will not power off

Kubuntu 12.10 64 bit will not power off

Postby maguaz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi,

I have a TBS 8922 PCI card running on Kubuntu 12.10 64 bit and all is working well except that the PC will no longer power off after the TBS linux driver (v121021) is installed.

My problem seems very similar (if not exactly the same) to this topic: http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=332&p=1714&hilit=hang#p1714

As per the other poster, I've tested with a clean install and as soon as the driver is installed, the PC no longer powers off completely. However, USB ports and the HDD drive seem to power off (I can hear the HDD parking it's heads)

For info, I previously installed Windows 7 on the same machine, with the same card and I was able to power off with no issues, so I don't believe the problem can be hardware related.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what I could try?

Thanks.
maguaz

Re: Kubuntu 12.10 64 bit will not power off

Postby SergioDanielG » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:25 am

Hi maguaz.
I'm not using kubuntu, but, did you check user permissions to shutdown and or reboot machine?
Best regards.
SergioDanielG

Postby maguaz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:44 am

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately yes, I've checked. There were no issues before installing the TBS driver and now, even shutting down with sudo has the same effect.

Kind regards.
maguaz

Postby cody » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 am

Hi, that sounds to me like driver crash, but in such case most likely using "Ctrl+Alt+Fx" key combination you will be able to open terminal and collect your 'dmesg' log to get details about the crash. so, there are 2 most likely reasons for a crash - hardware fault (it can occur any time and thus your old tests in Windows are not sufficient to rule out that - you need to check now) and the other is you use wrong build script, but since you use 64-bit i doubt you made a mistake, because there is only one build script for 64-bit - that's "./v4l/tbs-x86_64.sh". so, please, check first if you can get to the 'dmesg' log with Ctrl+Alt+Fx to switch to another terminal as well if you still can use the card in Windows PC.

thank you.
cody

Return to Linux