Moderator Control Panel ]

HD channels have scrambled titles and info

HD channels have scrambled titles and info

Postby User6220 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi,

I have a TBS6220 and my problem is that just on the HD channels, when the info bar pops up from the bottom of screen, the titles and program info is scrambled rubbish and no logo is shown.

I've uninstalled / reinstalled everything (latest s/w & drivers downloaded), and done a full channel scan, but it made no difference.
I don't have any problems tuning in or viewing any of the HD channels, signal is good. Problem doesn't happen on same SD versions of the channel.

(PC is using 32bit Windows 7 Pro, mast is in UK, Wakefield area, not sure what its called)

Can anyone help ?

Thanks
User6220

Re: HD channels have scrambled titles and info

Postby CyberSimian » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:12 pm

User6220 Wrote:I have a TBS6220 and my problem is that just on the HD channels, when the info bar pops up from the bottom of screen, the titles and program info is scrambled rubbish and no logo is shown. (PC is using 32bit Windows 7 Pro, mast is in UK, Wakefield area, not sure what its called)

In the UK, the EPG for the high-definition channels is transmitted in an encrypted form. This means that only certain software DVRs can display it correctly.

Windows Media Center cannot display the broadcast HD EPG correctly (but you can download the Microsoft HD EPG via the internet).

MediaPortal can display the broadcast HD EPG correctly.

Those are the only two software DVRs that I know anything about. What software are you using?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
CyberSimian

Postby User6220 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:09 am

I'm using TBS Viewer v1.0.2 should I be using something else ?
User6220

Postby CyberSimian » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:13 pm

User6220 Wrote:I'm using TBS Viewer v1.0.2 should I be using something else ?

I notice that you are using 32-bit Windows 7 Professional. That should have Windows Media Center already included. It works fine with the TBS tuners (it is what I use).

So you would simply need to use the Microsoft downloaded EPG in order to get the EPG for the HD channels. You need an internet connection to download the EPG, and this has to be done every few days (I do it once per week; others do it daily). The download can be done manually, or it can be automated (suitable if you have an "always on" internet connection).

The Microsoft downloaded EPG contains 14 days of programme information, whereas the broadcast EPG has only 7 days of info. The Microsoft EPG is also more detailed than the broadcast EPG.

CyberSimian

Postby User6220 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Thanks, I'll try that this weekend.

But seems odd that a T2 TV card which is made for HD broadcasts doesn't come with software that can cope with HD channel EPG's !?

cheers
User6220

Postby User6220 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi,

I tried Windows Media Center, same problem, the Guide shows info for SD channels fine, but the HD channels show no information.

:cry:

Thanks
User6220

Postby CyberSimian » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:34 pm

User6220 Wrote:I tried Windows Media Center, same problem, the Guide shows info for SD channels fine, but the HD channels show no information.

You have to use the Microsoft EPG downloaded from the internet in order to get the EPG for the HD channels.

Windows Media Center has the ability to use both the Microsoft downloaded EPG, and the EPG broadcast with the TV signals. If you don't download the Microsoft EPG, Media Center will use the broadcast EPG, but it is not able to decrypt the EPG for the HD channels. So you will see EPG info for the SD channels, but nothing for the HD channels.

CyberSimian

Postby User6220 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Ah, sorry I failed to grasp that point from your earlier posts. I'll try again.
Thanks
User6220

Return to Windows