Moderator Control Panel ]

TBS6280 unavailable after Resume From Sleep

Re: TBS6280 unavailable after Resume From Sleep

Postby CyberSimian » Thu May 30, 2013 7:48 pm

steven Wrote:Do you have changed TBS6284 to other slot ? what about the result ? Is it ok, TBS6284's driver has updated too, Do you have tested ?

I have now re-installed the second TBS6284 card, but the new version 1.0.0.7 drivers for it have not fixed the problem. To recap:

(1) The PC is a Dell XPS420 running both Windows Vista and Windows 7; this test was done using Windows 7. I checked Device Manager to verify that both TBS6284 cards were using the version 1.0.0.7 drivers.

(2) The motherboard has 3 PCI-Express slots, as described below.

(3) The 16x slot has an Nvidia GT610 fitted; this works correctly on wake from sleep.

(4) The 4x slot has the first TBS6284 card fitted; this works correctly on wake from sleep.

(5) The 1x slot has the re-installed second TBS6284 card fitted; this does NOT work correctly:
(a) On a reboot, the card is always present.
(b) On wake from sleep the card is always missing from Device Manager.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
CyberSimian

Postby steven » Fri May 31, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi CyberSimian

Do you have tried change 4x slot's card to 1x, and 1x card to 4x slot?

(4) The 4x slot has the first TBS6284 card fitted; this works correctly on wake from sleep.

(5) The 1x slot has the re-installed second TBS6284 card fitted; this does NOT work correctly:

Is still the problem ?

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby CyberSimian » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:57 am

steven Wrote:Do you have tried change 4x slot's card to 1x, and 1x card to 4x slot?

I have now had an opportunity to swap the cards around:

(1) The 6284 card that was in the 4x slot was moved to the 1x slot.
(2) The 6284 card that was in the 1x slot was moved to the 4x slot.

Sadly, the result is the same:
(1) On reboot, both cards are present in "Device Manager".
(2) On wake from sleep, the card in the 1x slot is missing;
the card in the 4x slot is present and works correctly.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
CyberSimian

Postby kb1972 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:54 am

Hi all,

I've been thinking about buying a TBS6280 to replace my old Hauppauge DVB-T card and thought I would add this very important observation in this forum as it appears TBS staff participate here and this may well be very useful information.

I built my Windows 7 based Home Theater computer over two years ago and have had the 'no tuners available' after resuming from sleep problem ever since I added the 2nd tuner (can't remember which order I added them but I had both a DVB-S & a DVB-T). They always come back after a reboot/cold boot. I got round it by scheduling a task to reset the tuners when the machine resumes from sleep. Works every time as long as the reset runs before you hit the Media Centre button which is always every time now since I put an SSD in for the OS and as long as I remember to quit WMC before sleeping the machine (as the tuners can't be reset if WMC is already running).

The key points I want to make however are these:

1. I don't think it's anything to do with PCI-E link power state management as two of my tuners are PCI and not PCI-E. And it was like this before I added the USB one as well. And changing the power setting hasn't fixed it for most people.

2. It doesn't appear to be anything to do with power management setting for any of the devices as I' (and many others) have tried every combination under the sun to no avail.

3. It's nothing to do with the 'backgroundscan' WMC performs either as plenty of people have disabled this (myself included) and still have the problem

4. I DO NOT THINK IT IS ANYTHING TO DO WITH TUNERS, TUNER DRIVERS OR WHICH CHIPSET, MOTHERBOARD, BIOS OR OTHER DRIVERS YOU USE

The reason I think 4. is the key bit is this: I have seen loads of reports across the internet from different people with the same problem and they are all using different tuners. The problem occurs no matter which manufacturer's tuner you use. I'm using two Hauppauge tuners (DVB-T and DVB-S) and a PCTV USB 290e Nano and I get the problem. I've seen reports from people using Black Gold (e.g. BGT-3620's) with the same problem. I've seen reports from people with TBS or AnySee TV cards with the same problem. I've seen people using AMD, Intel (Core 2 Duo era, Core-i5 era) and nVidia chipsets with the same problem. What are the chances of independently developed drivers by all these different manufacturers having exactly the same bug in exactly the same place? Once is chance, twice is a co-incidence, but three is a pattern. The only common denominator is Windows & Media Centre.

The problem has to be in Windows and/or Media Centre. There can be no other explanation. And the sooner MS realise and fix this, the better for everyone. Unfortunately it looks like MS have carried this bug over to Windows 8 as well. They need someone with a fresh pair of eyes to look into this.

Hopefully the good folk at TBS can help debug this somehow and get MS to fix this issue. To me, it is a big hurdle in the wider adoption of Windows Media Centre as a home entertainment hub. I know I could have recommended and sold many more Home Theatre computers if I had the confidence that my customers wouldn't face this problem. As it stands, I hesitate to recommend it as a viable product/solution for this and this reason alone.
kb1972

Postby Benedict » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:00 pm

kb1972 Wrote:
I built my Windows 7 based Home Theater computer over two years ago and have had the 'no tuners available' after resuming from sleep problem ever since I added the 2nd tuner (can't remember which order I added them but I had both a DVB-S & a DVB-T). They always come back after a reboot/cold boot. I got round it by scheduling a task to reset the tuners when the machine resumes from sleep. Works every time as long as the reset runs before you hit the Media Centre button which is always every time now since I put an SSD in for the OS and as long as I remember to quit WMC before sleeping the machine (as the tuners can't be reset if WMC is already running).

How exactly does one 'schedule a task to reset the tuners' ?
Benedict

Previous

Return to Windows