Moderator Control Panel ]

VHID Questions

VHID Questions

Postby bivvy » Fri May 31, 2013 12:49 am

Several questions regarding the VHID software for use with the remote control - thanks for any guidance.

I have built an HTPC with a TBS6280 tuner. The case had a built in IR receiver with USB connection to the mother board, but unfortunately the TV remote is being picked up by this IR receiver as valid key strokes and there is no way to override it. So I've disconnected it and now I am experimenting with the TBS remote control.

The HTPC is running Windows 7. The main account is set up without a password so that when the HTPC boots up it goes straight into Windows and launches MCE. There is also an Admin account.

1) Changing profiles on the default account
At first I was only offered the MCE(TBS Default Setting) profile. No other profiles offered, and not possible to create a new one. Everything worked fine from the Admin account. I managed to fix this by copying the "Profile" directory from the Admin account (in C:\Users\Admin\Documents\TBSVHID) to the same location in the default user account C:\Users\Media\Documents\TBSVHID)

Now I get all the profiles and can create and edit them. Not tried doing too much with this yet, but is a step forwards

2) XML files
Does anyone understand the syntax of the XML files? For instance, the Volume Down key has the following definition:

Code: Select All Code
<VOLDown>
  <Shift>0</Shift>
  <Ctrl>0</Ctrl>
  <Alt>0</Alt>
  <VirtualKey>120</VirtualKey>
  <Modifiers>0</Modifiers>
</VOLDown>

The <Shift> <Ctrl> and <Alt> are simple: 0 for not pressed, 1 for pressed
<VirtualKey> - Is this ASCII? or a different key map (ASCII does not deal with function or special keys...)
What about <Modifiers>?

3) Coloured Buttons
These default to CH+ / CH- / VOL+ / VOL-
Can they be set up to mimic the coloured buttons on the TV remote (eg Red Button on digital TV?)

4) Power Button
Anyone know how to set this up so it puts the HTPC into Sleep or Hibernate mode?
What about getting the HTPC to wake up again? If it's gone into Hibernate mode I don't really want to have to press the button on the front of the HTPC to wake it up again!
The old remote could do this (as it mimicked a mouse / keyboard on a USB port) but it was upset by the TV remote....

Thanks for your help!
bivvy

Re: VHID Questions

Postby 85k » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:47 pm

3. XML-files

<Command>
<Shift>0</Shift>
<Ctrl>0</Ctrl>
<Alt>0</Alt>
<VirtualKey>120</VirtualKey>
<Modifiers>0</Modifiers>
</Command>

VirtualKeys, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd375731(v=vs.85).aspx

You can convert Hex -> Dec with your desktop Calculator.

Modifiers: It depends on of which buttons (Shift, Ctrl or Alt) is pressed down. You can look at the sample profiles that came along with the drivers to see the correct ones.

3) Coloured Buttons

Yes. For example, if you are using DVBViewer, you can take a look at the key-combinations assigned for coloured buttons. Go to the TBS VHID software and assign those keys for coloured buttons.

4) Power Button

I haven't got Power-button to work at all so far, but there are other ways. If you are using traditional Windows desktop on your HTPC, you can make buttons to work with desktop commands. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

You can, for example, assign CTRL+ESC for Start-menu and use arrows and OK for moving to Hibernate-button. This way, unfortunately, you can't wake your computer up.

I hope these will help you.

Re: VHID Questions

Postby BrianG61UK » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:15 pm

Forget it.
TBS VHID is a completely useless.
Written by an idiot who learnt Win32 programming on a Windows 98 machine and hasn't updated his skills since then.
BrianG61UK

Return to Windows