Moderator Control Panel ]

Can't get HD channels in Media Center

Can't get HD channels in Media Center

Postby tman » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:41 pm

I run a TBS6280 in my Windows 7 x86 Media Center. Latest drivers are in use.

My problem is that I don't seem to be able to receive any of the HD channels on the new COM7 multiplex. Other TV's in the house receive them fine, and HD channels on other muxes are perfect. I've checked the detected frequency of the 'problem' channels, and they appear correct, but I get no channels at all (signal strength shows 0%). With COM8 coming online soon, I'm afraid that I won't get any of these HD channels either. I've tried various settings inc rolling back drivers, but nothing seems to make any difference.

Any ideas?
tman

Re: Can't get HD channels in Media Center

Postby CyberSimian » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:48 pm

tman Wrote:I run a TBS6280 in my Windows 7 x86 Media Center. Latest drivers are in use. My problem is that I don't seem to be able to receive any of the HD channels on the new COM7 multiplex.

I used Windows Vista Media Center for 5 years. My understanding is that WMC downloads from the internet the list of MUXes that can be received at your location (determined from the postcode that you entered during setup). When a new MUX is introduced, it requires Microsoft (or their agent) to update that list of MUXes with the info for the new MUX. If they don't do this, WMC will not be able tune the new MUX.

To determine whether your HTPC tuners are receiving the new MUX, search the internet for a tool called "ScanChannelsBDA_UK.exe". Run it in a command Window. It scans all frequencies for DVB-T and DVB-T2, and displays info about each MUX that it detects. The versions that I have also list the channels in each DVB-T MUX, but not in DVB-T2 MUXes (the program recognises that the DVB-T2 MUX is present, but does not understand its contents).

If "ScanChannelsBDA_UK.exe" shows that your HTPC tuners are receiving the new MUX, you will need to contact Microsoft and ask them to update the downloaded list of MUXes. I don't know how you do that.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
CyberSimian

Postby tman » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of scanschannelsbda, and have run it already to see what I can see. It didn't detect anything on the COM7 mux frequency (652Mhz) for my transmitter (Hanningtion, UK). MCE does detect the channels though (they're all HD, apart from two SD channels). I see them in the guide listing, but when I try and tune to any of them, I just mostly get a 'weak or no signal' message. BBC Four HD will occasionally show a picture, but with a massive amount of breakup. All other channels on other muxes are fine, and my main TV can pick up all channels on COM7 perfectly.

I have read that this could be a hardware limitation (or driver issue?) with the 6280. It seems that the 6281 seems to be what is now recommended (different tuners I believe).
tman

Postby CyberSimian » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:43 am

tman Wrote:I am aware of scanschannelsbda, and have run it already to see what I can see. It didn't detect anything on the COM7 mux frequency (652Mhz) for my transmitter (Hanningtion, UK).

If the EPG is showing the COM7 channels, that indicates that the downloaded list of MUXes has already been updated, so no problem there.

Is your HTPC fed from the same aerial system as your TV? If the HTPC is fed from a different aerial system, it may be receiving a weaker signal than the TV.

If the HTPC has a separate aerial, is it the correct aerial band for your location? If the COM7 MUX is at the extreme end of your aerial band (A, B, C, or D), it may be that you need a wide band aerial in order to receive it properly (band W).

If HTPC and TV are fed from the same aerial system, are they receiving equal signals? Example: aerial feeds a two-way splitter; one feed goes directly to main TV; other feed goes into another two-way splitter which feeds HTPC and a separate bedroom TV. Clearly HTPC would be receiving half the signal of the main TV.

For some reason, tuners for HTPCs seem to have lower sensitivity than those for TVs, so that may explain the difference. Also, the new DVB-T2 MUXes are broadcast at a lower strength than the main MUXes, which may further make reception marginal.

If WMC sometimes shows "BBC4 HD" (albeit pixelated), and "ScanChannels" indicates no signal, it suggests that the signal strength is borderline, and "ScanChannels considers it too low to be receivable.

So I think that it is down to signal strength:
(1) Check aerial band is correct.
(2) Check aerial alignment.
(3) Check all leads and connections are in good condition.
(4) Use an aerial amplifier at an appropriate place (usually: as near the aerial as possible, although my amplifier is in the lounge near the HTPC and TV).

I have two TBS 6284 tuner cards and can receive all of the MUXes (from Rowridge).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
CyberSimian

Return to Windows