Moderator Control Panel ]

Tips to fix can not scan in windows 8.1 Windows Media Center

News and information about TBS products.

Tips to fix can not scan in windows 8.1 Windows Media Center

Postby steven » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:48 am

Hi All

Thanks Marcus to share his way to fix this. Some people after upgrade to windows 8.1 find that can not scan in Windows Media Center.
Here is the detail steps provide by Marcus .
If you have the problem maybe you can have a try:

Basically what I did was to just delete the WMC channel database and reboot. This appears to fix the problem, you can then scan for channels and do not seem to hit the crashing issue. My conclusion is that something in the channel database from 8.0 does not work with other windows functions after the 8.1 upgrade. As my license is for 8.0 with a free upgrade I am forced into the situation, as a clean install at 8.1 would probably work but is forbidden with my keys.

Anyway to be precise what I did was:
1) Stopped WMC services (thinking that they may be accessing the channel database file).
2) Then navigate to %programData%/Microsoft/eHome (note this directory is hidden) typing that string in the address bar will take you there
3) Then delete the database file (in my case mcepg9-0)
4) Then reboot, this then starts the services again in a clean way

After this you will have to go through the whole set-up palava again. But crucially in my case the ability to scan for channels worked!

Thanks

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Re: Tips to fix can not scan in windows 8.1 Windows Media Ce

Postby ArferDaley » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:47 pm

I know this is an old'ish post but I am thinking of moving to windows 8.1pro with media centre built in after much hunting down I managed too find it
Microsoft refused too sell me it the twats
so just in case I run into the same problem I will say thank you in advance as I have the memory of a fish sometimes
ArferDaley

Return to News