Moderator Control Panel ]

Drivers won't build (make fails) after Ubuntu kernel update

It's important to keep your driver and software updated.

Re: Drivers won't build (make fails) after Ubuntu kernel upd

Postby BlueSky » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:58 pm

In case anyone is wondering, this is where make fails if you try to build the drivers in the 4.15.0-46-generic kernel:

Code: Select All Code
  CC [M]  /home/backend/Drivers/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l/saa7146_video.o
/home/backend/Drivers/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l/saa7146_video.c: In function 'video_init':
/home/backend/Drivers/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l/saa7146_video.c:1307:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'init_timer' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  init_timer(&vv->video_q.timeout);
  ^
/home/backend/Drivers/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l/saa7146_video.c:1308:31: error: assignment from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  vv->video_q.timeout.function = saa7146_buffer_timeout;
                               ^
/home/backend/Drivers/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l/saa7146_video.c:1309:21: error: 'struct timer_list' has no member named 'data'
  vv->video_q.timeout.data     = (unsigned long)(&vv->video_q);
                     ^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:332: recipe for target '/home/backend/Drivers/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l/saa7146_video.o' failed
make[3]: *** [/home/backend/Drivers/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l/saa7146_video.o] Error 1
Makefile:1551: recipe for target '_module_/home/backend/Drivers/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l' failed
make[2]: *** [_module_/home/backend/Drivers/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic'
Makefile:51: recipe for target 'default' failed
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/backend/Drivers/linux-tbs-drivers/v4l'
Makefile:26: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
Error running make

This is obviously a different issue than the one I wrote about in my original post. As long as you are not running the HWE kernel in Ubuntu 16.04 you probably won't see this issue. I only had this kernel because I had done

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04

in an attempt to resolve this issue, but obviously that only made things worse. So to remove it I did this:

sudo apt remove --purge linux-generic-hwe-16.04 linux-headers-generic-hwe-16.04 linux-headers-4.15.0-46 linux-headers-4.15.0-46-generic linux-image-4.15.0-46-generic linux-modules-4.15.0-46-generic linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-46-generic
sudo update-grub2
sudo reboot

CAUTION!!! DON'T DO THAT if you don't have any non-HWE kernels installed, or you will render your system unbootable (also if any time has passed since I posted this, your 4.15.* kernel files are probably a different version, and/or you may have multiple 4.15.* kernel versions). Basically don't do that if you aren't absolutely certain you know what you are doing!!! See https://askubuntu.com/questions/993551/ ... l-of-16-04 for a bit more info on this subject, and if you choose to do this anyway and bork your system you'll have my sympathy, but unfortunately I don't know enough about Linux to help dig you out of that hole.

I'm perfectly happy staying with the non-HWE (4.4.*) kernel series for now. Not sure what I am going to do in two years when support for Ubuntu 16.04 ceases but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

If you want to see what HWE kernels you have installed you can run commands like
apt list --installed | grep hwe
apt list --installed | grep 4.15.

Note especially on that last one you may also see some non-kernel-related items. Similarly you can show the non-HWE kernels using
apt list --installed | grep 4.4.

But again you will see some non-kernel-related items that also happen to have a 4.4. in their version number. If you don't see anything starting with linux-headers-, linux-image-, linux-image-extra-, etc. then you don't have any non-HWE kernels and in that case you most certainly DO NOT want to remove your HWE kernel(s) until you rectify that situation! Another way to tell is to hold down the shift key while booting and then select Advanced options for Ubuntu in the grub menu, then it should list all the kernels you can boot into and again if there are no 4.4. kernels and only 4.15 kernels then you don't have any non-HWE kernels installed, and in that case you definitely don't want to remove your HWE kernels (but note that it is unlikely but possible for grub to show old kernels that have been removed, so I'd check both ways to be absolutely certain, or select a 4.4 series kernel from the grub menu and make sure you can actually boot into it and that your system runs normally, and that running uname -a shows that you're running a 4.4 series kernel).
BlueSky

Postby Steve77g » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:02 pm

Thank you to BlueSky. I have Ubuntu 16.04.10 with the Linux 4.4.0 kernel and have been using TBS drivers v160630 successfully for the past 3 years. Of course this stopped after -142.
I downloaded the 4 files directly from the CrazyCat site but the files were 5 times larger and contained a block of corrupted code. So, I tried the links on your post which gave me the correct source code files. After copying carefully into the correct place they compiled first time and I now have my TBS6280 working again. WhooHoo!

TBS - I hope you can incorporate these straightforward changes into your Linux driver files ASAP so that more people can enjoy your product which is technically of excellent quality.
Steve77g.
Steve77g

Postby easydoor » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:19 am

For me only command:
apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04

helped me to compile driver for TBS6909 from file:
TBS Open Source Linux Driver Offline Package V190415

I had installed kernel 4.15.0.39 but with that version I had error and coudn't compile.
After update to newest version of kernel what is now 4.15.0.48 compile passing without problem.
easydoor

Postby easydoor » Wed May 01, 2019 9:35 am

Something else I forgot to tell..
It is that it reject to compile till u do not update compiler. This is in case after I updated the kernel.
The command for kernel 4.15.0-48-generic is:
apt-get install gcc-8 g++-8 -y

I tried to compile even from git:
git clone https://github.com/tbsdtv/media_build.git
git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/tbsdtv/linux_media.git -b latest ./media

and it passed!
easydoor

Postby JuhaFinland » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:43 pm

I have kernel 5.5 and it this patches still valid. How manufacture do not provide adequate driver? In fact I am using SilverBlue Fedora and try open and fork driver and same error. Is there .rpm drivers for a product. Iam ready to give up and find some other manufacture card.
JuhaFinland

Postby wie69 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:35 pm

me too ,, after update kernel 5.3 ,,, until now i cannot use TBS6902 and TBS6281SE .. but not WinTV DualHD always running .... please help.. i follow all instruction, all command is pass, but tbs still not working...
wie69

Postby JuhaFinland » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:47 am

Why TBS do not renew code. So anointing. I am using Fedora Silver blue 33 and needed to dual boot to windows only since this TV card. There is many Linux users around and most of them use latest kernel meaning that this cards do not work.
JuhaFinland

Postby steven » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:36 pm

wie69 Wrote:me too ,, after update kernel 5.3 ,,, until now i cannot use TBS6902 and TBS6281SE .. but not WinTV DualHD always running .... please help.. i follow all instruction, all command is pass, but tbs still not working...

Hi For kernel 5.3 please try this package:
# wget http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/document/linux/media_build-2020-01-02.tar.bz2
# sudo rm -rf /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media/
#tar jxvf media_build-2020-01-02.tar.bz2
#cd media_build
#./install.sh
#reboot

Thanks

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby JuhaFinland » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:38 pm

I can confirm that this on e works 6290 in Silverblue but the adress dtv error: cannot access adapter 0: No such file or directory is not correct in VLC. I was lookking /dev/dvb/adapter0 where VLC is pointing to. And there was nothing but /lib/modules/5.6.0-0.rc7.git1.1.fc33.x86_64/kernel/drivers/media is frontends and drivers. How in VLC folder can be changed where it look at?
JuhaFinland

Previous

Return to Driver & Software Update