Moderator Control Panel ]

Open-source driver compile failure and cure....

It's important to keep your driver and software updated.

Open-source driver compile failure and cure....

Postby pchristy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:49 am

I recently purchased a 6281SE dual-tuner card to install on my pc as an upgrade from the USB dongle I had been using. I've finally got it working, but its not been straightforward.

First of all, all the instructions for installing the open source drivers seem to be aimed at Ubuntu, with very little information for other distributions. I'm using Slackware64-current (the devlopment version), and instructions to "sudo apt-get" won't get you anywhere!

Luckily, Slackware is very well supported by Slackbuilds.org, which provides packages to build missing packages - er, if you get my drift! I needed to compile and install both the Perl-ProcessTable and patchutils packages before the driver would even attempt to compile. Strangely, the error messages I received made no mention of these - the compile just stopped dead with a terminal error message!

However, even once these dependencies had been added, it *still* wouldn't compile:

Code: Select All Code
make[3]: *** No rule to make target '~/Build/tbs-driver/media_build/v4l/frame_vector.c', needed by '~/Build/tbs-driver/media_build/v4l/frame_vector.o'.  Stop.
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
  CC [M]  ~/Build/tbs-driver/media_build/v4l/bt87x.o
make[2]: *** [Makefile:1503: _module_~/Build/tbs-driver/media_build/v4l] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.14.2'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:53: default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '~/Build/tbs-driver/media_build/v4l'
make: *** [Makefile:26: all] Error 2

A thorough search on Google eventually turned up the following suggestion:

Code: Select All Code
cp ../media/mm/frame_vector.c v4l/

and that finally got it to compile!

I had downloaded the latest git version of the drivers, but it looks as if frame_vector.c has either ended up in the wrong directory, or needs to be in both!

Now it is all up and running, it works very well, and I am extremely pleased with my purchase. But might I suggest that not everybody using Linux uses Ubuntu, and some slightly clearer instructions regarding dependencies - not to mention getting the odd file in the right directory - might make life easier for the rest of us!

Keep up the good work, and I hope this may help any other non-Ubuntu users.....

--
Pete
pchristy

Re: Open-source driver compile failure and cure....

Postby steven » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi pchristy

Thanks for your advice later we will release the open source driver offline package more easy to compile .

Thanks

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Return to Driver & Software Update