Moderator Control Panel ]

TBS 5930 Linux drivers & firmware

It's important to keep your driver and software updated.

TBS 5930 Linux drivers & firmware

Postby n2acnt » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:08 pm

Hello --

I bought a '5930 USB DVB-S2X tuner not that long ago and discovered there are no obvious Linux drivers for this device.

After some hunting, I found that:

(1) the package "TBS Open Source Linux Driver Offline Package v20210508" contains files that obviously refer to the tuner I just bought ("tbs5930.c" and "tbs5930.h") and

(2) looking at the source code, I found a reference to ""m88rs6060.h" and then

(3) a firmware package that matches that (dvb-demod-m88rs6060.fw).

Long story short, after compiling & installing the driver package, plus copying the firmware file in /usr/lib/firmware directory and rebooting, it did not work.

Checking my system's logs, I discovered the driver is looking not for "dvb-demod-m88rs6060.fw", but rather for "dvb-usb-id5930.fw".

That file is not to be found anywhere in the driver package.

After checking tonight if the file "dvb-usb-id5930.fw" has been made available for download, I did not find it.

Could you please make this file available, so that I can use my new FTA tuner with Linux?

That would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
n2acnt

Re: TBS 5930 Linux drivers & firmware

Postby smile » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:28 am

Hi
please download the latest drivers form github.
this is the step for install the dirvers
https://github.com/tbsdtv/linux_media/wiki

Best Regards
smile

Postby crazycat » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:06 pm

n2acnt Wrote:That file is not to be found anywhere in the driver package.
After checking tonight if the file "dvb-usb-id5930.fw" has been made available for download, I did not find it.
Could you please make this file available, so that I can use my new FTA tuner with Linux?

Use build script from media_build for building drivers from latest snapshot and install all required firmwares from dvb-firmwares.tar.bz2
crazycat

Postby n2acnt » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:34 am

It took longer for me to find the time to try the proposed solution (getting latest snapshot from github), but end result is successful.

I can use the '5930 with my tvheadend box. Thank you.

Not sure if the driver snapshot made any difference from the previous driver version I was using (from tbs-open-linux-drivers_v20210508.zip), but I do feel the firmware bundle found at:
http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/document ... .0.tar.bz2
did make the biggest difference in the world.

Though I am a bit surprised that, judging from what dmesg tells me, that two firmware packages end up being downloaded (first, the "dvb-usb-id5930.fw" file, then the "dvb-demod-m88rs6060.fw") to the device. It's as if the 1st file is doing prep work needed for the 2nd file to work. Eh, as long as it works, I am not going to complain.

Cheers.
n2acnt

Return to Driver & Software Update