Moderator Control Panel ]

Compile fail on 6902 RHEL 8 Clone Kernel 4.18

It's important to keep your driver and software updated.

Compile fail on 6902 RHEL 8 Clone Kernel 4.18

Postby kens » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:23 am

Hi everyone,

I've failed to get this driver to compile on this system. I've attached a log of what happens. I've named the attachment as .pdf as this site seems to accept that but the file is really .txt.

I noticed in the course of my doing this that the file frame.h in the kernel source is in an unusual place in this Kernel. But I don't think thats the issue here.

Has any one else had any success with this. I'd appreciate your insights to get it working.

Can I add my voice to the others here that have implored TBS to get this driver included in the V4L standard distribution. That would save so many issues with this card that is otherwise a good product.

Many thanks

Ken
Attachments
tbs.pdf
(129.63 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
kens

Re: Compile fail on 6902 RHEL 8 Clone Kernel 4.18

Postby zhangchao » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:40 pm

hi ,
please add skype jack_2431.i will check .

best regards!
zhangchao

Postby hlumca » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:30 am

I am seeing a similar issue with Oracle Linux 8.8 and kernel 4.18.0-477.10.1.el8_8.x86_64

I am following the instructions at https://github.com/tbsdtv/linux_media/wiki

When I run "make -j4" to build the media_build drivers, I get the output below. How do I fix this?

Code: Select All Code
[root@localhost media_build]# make -j4
make -C /root/TBS/media_build/v4l
make[1]: Entering directory '/root/TBS/media_build/v4l'
creating symbolic links...
make -C firmware prep
make[2]: Entering directory '/root/TBS/media_build/v4l/firmware'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'prep'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/root/TBS/media_build/v4l/firmware'
make -C firmware
make[2]: Entering directory '/root/TBS/media_build/v4l/firmware'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'default'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/root/TBS/media_build/v4l/firmware'
Kernel build directory is /lib/modules/4.18.0-477.10.1.el8_8.x86_64/build
make -C ../linux apply_patches
make[2]: Entering directory '/root/TBS/media_build/linux'
Syncing with dir ../../media
Patches for 4.18.0-477.10.1.el8_8.x86_64 already applied.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/root/TBS/media_build/linux'
make -C /lib/modules/4.18.0-477.10.1.el8_8.x86_64/build M=/root/TBS/media_build/v4l  modules
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/kernels/4.18.0-477.10.1.el8_8.x86_64'
  CC [M]  /root/TBS/media_build/v4l/max2175.o
  CC [M]  /root/TBS/media_build/v4l/ad5820.o
  CC [M]  /root/TBS/media_build/v4l/adp1653.o
In file included from <command-line>:
/root/TBS/media_build/v4l/compat.h:715:10: fatal error: linux/frame.h: No such file or directory
 #include <linux/frame.h>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:324: /root/TBS/media_build/v4l/max2175.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
/root/TBS/media_build/v4l/compat.h:715:10: fatal error: linux/frame.h: No such file or directory
 #include <linux/frame.h>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:324: /root/TBS/media_build/v4l/ad5820.o] Error 1
 #include <linux/frame.h>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:324: /root/TBS/media_build/v4l/adp1653.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [Makefile:1616: _module_/root/TBS/media_build/v4l] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kernels/4.18.0-477.10.1.el8_8.x86_64'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:53: default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/TBS/media_build/v4l'
make: *** [Makefile:26: all] Error 2
hlumca

Postby zhangchao » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:28 pm

hi ,
follow the steps to install (support kernel v4.14-v6.5) , if also has issue , add skype jack_2431.
#cd /opt
#git clone https://github.com/tbsdtv/media_build.git
#git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/tbsdtv/linux_media.git -b latest ./media
#cd media_build
#make dir DIR=../media
#make allyesconfig
#sed -i -r 's/(^CONFIG.*_RC.*=)./\1n/g' v4l/.config
#sed -i -r 's/(^CONFIG.*_IR.*=)./\1n/g' v4l/.config
#make -j4
#sudo make install
#wget http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/document ... .0.tar.bz2
#sudo tar jxvf tbs-tuner-firmwares_v1.0.tar.bz2 -C /lib/firmware/

best regards!
zhangchao

Postby Delta » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:29 pm

Like I said in other posts, Red Hat autonomously maintains its own Linux kernel that brings many newer kernel features into its older kernel version. This will lead to many kernel features such as those in 5.x even 6.x appearing in Red Hat's 4.18 kernel.

I have responded @hlumca's PM regarding the issues he/she encountered, which is described below and only represents personal views.

We have tested the performance of the TBS offline driver package on RHEL 8/CentOS 8 with kernel 4.18. There were too many compilation errors that we could not resolve.

We have also conducted a lot of research on this issue. We found that the TBS offline driver package is not working for installation with Linux kernel versions below 5.x, no matter which distribution it is. (Only limited testing.)

We have attempted to use the EPEL repository to upgrade the kernel of RHEL 8/CentOS 8 to version 5.x, and the driver installation was successful. This is something users may consider if they insist on using RHEL 8/CentOS 8.

The latest version of RHEL 8.x has reached 8.9, which utilizes a feature combination of kernel 4.xx, 5.xx and 6.xx, and prevents the driver source code patch script from working properly. So the original RHEL 8/CentOS 8 kernel is not a "pure" 4.18, but a combination of mess. However EPEL as a third-party kernel provider, is working properly with the drivers because its kernel has been compiled from a pure 5.x source code, so that the patch script runs perfectly. (I don't know for the current EPEL kernel. But it worked when I tested.)

In summary, we strongly recommend users to upgrade their OS to the official version of RHEL 9 that utilizes kernel 5.14. Individual developer subscription is always free to license 16 PCs.
Delta

Common knowledge about official Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS

Postby Delta » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:30 pm

RHEL OS works exactly the same as CentOS, since RHEL is the upstream edition/branch of CentOS.

A common misconception of using the original RHEL OS is that it requires payment or license to work, so it does not has the freedom to tamper with. Users with such misunderstandings often choose to install a downstream branch, such as CentOS, AlmaLinux or Rocky Linux.

The answer is No.

Just like CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu, the original RHEL OS may work independently without a "service", whether people call it a "subscription", "license" or "payment", it is all about Red Hat's software update and support services. More specifically, you only need to "pay" when using "yum/dnf" to download software packages from Red Hat's servers (or require a "hand" from Red Hat).

You may wish to use their service to provide software repositories and security updates for your servers, but this is not compulsory. The operating system itself is just a GPL-compliant open source software. So why would a open source software requires a "service" to work? It doesn't make sense.

You may choose not to use Red Hat's software update services. This way you can install this open source operating system without any physical restrictions, just like the way you use CentOS. But there will not be a default server available to install packages using "yum/dnf". By using RHEL in a GPL-compliant manner, the only difference is that you may need to setup your own package repositories. However, the RHEL's official Binary ISO file provides major software packages. Doing a local filesystem repository will be very fine.

In practice, it doesn't need to be troublesome. For individual developers, Red Hat officially provides long term software service license free for up to 16 PCs. Red Hat is encouraging users to use RHEL the same way they used CentOS and obtain packages from the official repository. Just sign up at Red Hat and you are all good.

Therefore, there's no need to worry about upgrading from CentOS 8 to RHEL 9. Things are even getting better as you are now having the official Red Hat OS, not a modified branch version. It's free (non-cost official repository) and freedom (association to Red Hat is not a must, you can host your own).

In summary, we encourage users to upgrade their RHEL 8/CentOS 8 (or below) to official RHEL 9, since many of us are finding version 9 to be very stable and friendly to operate, especially when using TBS cards and drivers.
Delta

Return to Driver & Software Update