Moderator Control Panel ]

Is there any kind of (re)install script available?

It's important to keep your driver and software updated.

Re: Is there any kind of (re)install script available?

Postby vidtek » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:46 pm

Thanks for the link to the script, it was getting a bit of a pain to continually re-install.
I think maybe you are all being a little harsh on TBS, I very much doubt anyone with any clout actually looks at this forum. The proportion of linux users who need help are probably so low that it really isn't an issue for them.

I had some serious problems both windaz and linux when I bought my TBS6205, I emailed TBS and got an almost instant reply with all the help I needed over several days and lots of emails.
I have found the TBS emgineers are very willing and able to help, you just need to contact them directly.
Cheers to all, Tony.
vidtek

Postby Souldream » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:09 pm

vpeter Wrote:Unpack tbs driver in one folder. After you installed the driver leave this folder on a disk. When kernel update is made just (re)install the driver from the same folder. Annoying but should be easy to do.

Of course this solution could work but will be "a good shoot in your foot" ... why ?
Let's take one example : You will install kernel 4.4.x .... media tree DVB installed as kernel headers will use DVB api 5.10 from your kernel tree includes.
Once you will re-install drivers, drivers ( last updated ) are based on DVB api 5.03 ....
So when you will compile or try new software DVB related , software will take linux includes from your KERNEL and NOT your static driver use .... and you will get a big fail !
Because your system will declare DVB API 5.10 ... and your driver are in 5.03 , driver claims they are compatible Kernel 4 but this is false ! And seems this situation run since many months...

Anyway drivers are not updated ... and i would like to know what will happened for "end of life" product no sold by TBS ... no more update driver ? As they are not opensource ... ?
Souldream

Postby crazycat » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:07 am

Souldream Wrote:Of course this solution could work but will be "a good shoot in your foot" ... why ?
Let's take one example : You will install kernel 4.4.x .... media tree DVB installed as kernel headers will use DVB api 5.10 from your kernel tree includes.
Once you will re-install drivers, drivers ( last updated ) are based on DVB api 5.03 ....
So when you will compile or try new software DVB related , software will take linux includes from your KERNEL and NOT your static driver use .... and you will get a big fail !
Because your system will declare DVB API 5.10 ... and your driver are in 5.03 , driver claims they are compatible Kernel 4 but this is false ! And seems this situation run since many months...

Application compiled with DVB API 5.10, but not all drivers provide all capabilities. So app always query frontend caps and use available functions.

Souldream Wrote:Anyway drivers are not updated ... and i would like to know what will happened for "end of life" product no sold by TBS ... no more update driver ? As they are not opensource ... ?

dvb-core not updated. adapter/frontend drivers always updated.
crazycat

Previous

Return to Driver & Software Update