Moderator Control Panel ]

Can't upgrade except by using a micro SD card?

Anything from the case design to the chip inside, from expectation to suggestion, the most important thing is, you are IN.

Can't upgrade except by using a micro SD card?

Postby Mythological » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:37 pm

I've been trying to decide if I want to buy one of these and the more I read of the documentation, the less impressed I am. It seems like you guys are trying to make this thing sort of work, without giving any thought to user convenience. Here is a prime example, from the Quick Start guide:

4.2. Upgrade The System
To upgrade the system, you need a formatted FAT32 file system micro SD card.
Download the latest upgrade package from the download section of tbsdtv.com and copy to the micro SD card, insert the micro SD card into MOI, power on and then wait about 5 minutes until the upgrade is completed.

Seriously? My HDHomeRun can update its firmware via the network connection. My Obihai VoIP adapter can update its firmware via the network connection. Why on earth should I need to purchase a micro SD card I wouldn't otherwise need, just so I can update the firmware in this device, when it has a perfectly good network connection that should allow firmware updates?

Also, your guides don't show how to blind scan a satellite (seriously, we have to enter everything manually?) and don't show any way to control a DiSEqC switch or 22 kHz tone switch. Are those things even possible?

So far, I am not at all impressed. Unless you start thinking about improving the usability of these devices, I'll be surprised if you sell more than a few hundred of them. The idea is great, but the execution misses the mark.
Mythological

Re: Can't upgrade except by using a micro SD card?

Postby steven » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:54 am

Hi Mythological

Thank you very much for your advice,for your question,We are making the online upgrade now,
Next version FS will support this.it will be release soon,Because this is the first version,A lot of
function we will be added soon.

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Re: Can't upgrade except by using a micro SD card?

Postby Mythological » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:02 am

Thank you, steven. Sounds like I just need to wait for a future release then. The unfortunate thing is that even after you come out with a new release, the existing units will all have the old firmware and will not be upgradeable if you don't have the micro SD card. So, I will probably need to wait until you have a new release and enough time has passed that all the first release units have been sold, so I don't get one of the original models. But I am happy to hear that this will be addressed.
Mythological

Return to General discussion