Moderator Control Panel ]

TBS 5580 crashes while scanning with CI API 1.0.2.3

TBS 5580 crashes while scanning with CI API 1.0.2.3

Postby fatal » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:15 am

Hi,

I've recently bought a TBS 5580, but I have issues with it. I'm using it in DVB-C on the latest windows 10 with the latest drivers, and an inserted CAM Module / CI Card.

Every software (e.g. MediaPortal, DVBViewer) which uses the latest 1.0.2.3 version of the TBSCIAPI.dll crashes during scan. At mediaportal the whole tvserver stops.

However if I use the older version of the DLL (1.0.2.0) it works. TVMosaic has this dll bundled and its ok. Unfortunately I wanted to use MediaPortal, but it cant decode with the old DLL (I guess other components are newer, so it won't work). How can I fix this?
fatal

Re: TBS 5580 crashes while scanning with CI API 1.0.2.3

Postby fatal » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:03 pm

After further testing here's my conclusion from user side:

I use DVB-C, QAM256 and SymbolRate is 6875 (I don't know if it matters)

I've tried different softwares, the issue is clearly the CI API DLL:
  • TBSViewer (which is DVBViewer based as far as I know) is using 1.0.2.0 CI API DLL which works fine
  • TVMosaic's current version also using 1.0.2.0 DLL and works fine
  • Latest DVBViewer uses 1.0.2.2, scanning currently works, but watching an encrypted channel crashes the player after a few minutes
    • I've tried to overwrite the DLL with the 1.0.2.0, but it doesn't work, I guess it uses an updated code which only works with the 1.0.2.2 CI API DLL
  • In MediaPortal we manually need to copy the dll
    • If I copy 1.0.2.0, scanning works but MediaPortal cannot decode with 1.0.2.0, I guess it uses an updated code which only works with 1.0.2.2 or 1.0.2.3
    • If I copy 1.0.2.2 or 1.0.2.3, TVService (and TV-Server Configuration) crashes while scanning channels
    • If I scan without a DLL (or old version) it scans the channels
    • If I copy the DLL after scanning, the channel playback in the client freezes for a couple of seconds in every few minutes
I didn't try other clients cause this clearly shows what is the issue here. Also sometimes during scan it doesn't found the channels on multiple transponders, but if I run it again, it finds them (but fails to find them on another frequency, it's random, sometimes every channel is found). This issue is present even in TBSViewer.

Can we expect an update for the CI DLL which fixes these issues?
fatal

Postby steven » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:12 pm

Hi Sir

Let us try to contact Mediaportal any progress will send here

Thanks

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby fatal » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:53 pm

steven Wrote:Hi Sir

Thanks

Kind Regards

steven

Thanks.

Some additional information:
I have an USB2 card (just wasn't in my PC) and I've installed it yesterday (my motherboard has USB2 ports, but they're on the USB3 controller, so not true usb2), and connected the tuner there. It looks like the complete crash issues while scanning are gone, but the missing channels, and the playback issues (both in Mediaportal and DVBViewer) are still there. And I need to run scanning multiple times to get all the channels (this affects all softwere, incl. TBSViewer and TVMosaic).

I've checked TVMosaic's log after a scanning issue, and when no channels found on a transporter, there are scanning timeouts in the log. But they're on different transponder at every scan (sometimes no timeouts, but its rare), so eventually I have all of the channels. With TVMosaic there is no issue during playback.

OS is Windows 10 2004, but issues happened on 1909 too. I haven't tried earlier W10 versions.

Next week I will check this in the other room with the same computer, because I'm not 100% sure that the scanning issue is not caused by the coax cable.
fatal

Postby fatal » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:09 am

steven Wrote:Hi Sir

Thanks

Kind Regards

steven

I've ran some scans, now I'm pretty sure it's not the coax cable. Without the CI API DLL and CAM disabled in MediaPortal all channels are found in every runs (tested multiple times, attached log contains one cycle), no issue (I didn't install the client this time, but I'm almost sure, free to air channels without the api dll has no issue in playback). However with the DLL, free channels are have issues too.

I'm attaching the TV-Server logs to this post, I hope it can help.
Attachments
mp_scan_tbs5580_cam_enabled_with_ciapidll_1.0.2.3.zip
MP TV-Server scan logs with CAM enabled and DLL version 1.0.2.3
(19.11 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
mp_scan_tbs5580_cam_disabled_no_dll.zip
MP TV-Server Scan logs with CAM disabled and no CI API DLL copied
(29.55 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
fatal

Postby fatal » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:48 pm

I've connected back my old Technisat cablestar combo hd ci tuner (which has its own driver issues), and I noticed that while scanning both the signal quality and the signal strength is more than 90 percent. While scanning with the tbs tuner signal strength is varies between ~60% and 85% (signal quality is more than 90%) depending on the transponder frequency.

Do I have a faulty device?

I've tried TVMosaic's bundled DLL (v1.0.2.0 but different size than the one I downloaded from MP forum recommended NuGet), and the same happens. Every software has scanning issue (DVBViewer, MP, TVMosaic), and both DVBViewer and Mediaportal has playback issues. Playback only works from TVMosaic.
fatal

Postby fatal » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:39 am

I've tried on Ubuntu with Open Source driver and TVMosaic and I have the same issue during scan, half of the channels are not found. After rescan other channels are missing. I think its possible that this is a hardware defect and I will return it for RMA with the shop where I bought it if I don't get any response within 1 or 2 weeks from you (I know that if there is a driver or ci api issue, it takes time to fix the issues, what I want is a confirmation that this is a driver and not a hardware issue).
fatal

Postby fatal » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:18 am

Tested on the other room as I promised. Different computer (old laptop with Intel Core2Duo and built-in USB2 ports), Windows 8.1 x64. While the signal strength is a little bit higher (~75%, shows 99% on a regular samsung full hd nonsmart TV), the issue is the same. It's either driver/ci api or defect hardware.

I think it's the driver, because without the CI, there is no issues, but unfortunately my tv service provider encrypt a lot of channels. I'm a disappointed because I bought this device to get rid of the old one's driver issues (which were different), and it's not a cheap device.

I will write the story to support@tbsdtv.com.
fatal

Postby fatal » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:30 am

Phisically removing the CI module also fixes the scanning issue so it also confirms that this is either hardware or driver defect. I'm using TVMosaic until this is fixed but I want to use other software and this is not what I paid for.
fatal

Return to Off topics