Moderator Control Panel ]

No signal after resume from standby

No signal after resume from standby

Postby pascalj » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:40 am

Since I switched from a Terratec S2 (PCI) card to the TBS 6981, I'm getting no signal from both tuners after the first or sometimes the second resume from standby. The DVBViewer shows 2% signal strength and seems to be occupied every 2-3 seconds. I get the problem even if the player was closed before going to standby.

Though after resume the device manager doesn't show any problems for the TBS device (or any other), the only way I found to get back a signal is to restart Windows.
My system:
GA-MA78GM-S2H Rev. 1.0
ATI HD 4550
TBS 6981 (drivers 2.0.0.5, 8, 11, 14 all the same)
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
pascalj

Re: No signal after resume from standby

Postby cody » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:00 am

hmm, indeed very strange especially considering that all resume-from-sleep issues were solved long time ago and no any complains since then. what you mean by "DVBViewer seems to be occupied every 2-3 seconds" - that DVBViewer needs 2-3 seconds to respond after the computer awake up from sleep or something else? in any case i will test and try to reproduce the problem, but i have the feeling i won't be able to reproduce it, because otherwise there will be other customer complains too. did you try Windows 7 Media Center? at least i have tested here Windows 7 Media Center and i can sleep/resume as many times as i try and there is always signal - no need even to close Windows 7 Media Center when go to sleep.
cody

Postby pascalj » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:55 am

By "occupied" I meant that it does only respond every 5 seconds or something. I think this is because in this time the viewer tries to tune the channel.
I just tried the media center but I get the same problem after resuming from standby. Translated from german it says something like "service not available" and "no signal".
I wondered if the problems could be related to a mainboard standby issue with PCI Express, since my former card was just PCI. I googled for PCI-E related problems with my board but I did not find anything. And shouldn't the device manager detect a hardware problem?
Is there any way to reset the card or to check whether it is still alive?
pascalj

Postby cody » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:13 pm

i think you have some problem specific to your hardware as the one described here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2#p699

because resume-from-sleep in Windows 7 Media Center is well tested and no one has such trouble with recent driver version like for example 2.0.0.14.

the only thing that you can check in your case i believe is disconnect the cable for your LNB and measure with voltmeter if there is electricity coming out from the card.

however, you can be sure the driver is initialized your 6981 hardware properly - otherwise there will be either problem indicated in Device Manager or all customers won't be able to resume-from-sleep in Windows 7 Media Center, which is just not the case, because simply there is no such general problem.
cody

Postby pascalj » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:09 am

Unfortunately setting the sleep mode to S1 in BIOS as discribed in your linked thread did not resolve my problem either. Even from S1 I get the problem after resume.
But while testing and trying I determined that even after the first or second resume when getting no more signal the NEXT standby/resume (without rebooting) may return a signal. There seems to be a fifty-fifty chance more or less after every resume. Do you have any other ideas or suggestions?
I don't have a voltmeter but if you tell me I should check the card I will ask a friend for it.
pascalj

Postby cody » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:33 am

my last idea is to check the release version of driver 2.0.0.14 on the website, because i use engineering version and it could be some bug was introduced in the released version, but i think the chance is low, because other people will complain too.
cody

Postby pascalj » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Just borrowed a voltmeter from a friend and measured the voltage coming out of the card while watching TV with Windows Media Center.
Before standby or after a "good" resume I measure 19.45V (horizontal signal), but after a "bad" resume there is no voltage (both tuners).
I don't think that this is a specific problem of the 2.0.0.14 driver since it's the same for 5,8,11.
If you need any further information or if you have any other suggestions please let me know.
pascalj

Postby cody » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:04 am

please, tell me the batch of your TBS 6981 card - it's four digits written on the board in the upper left corner, just above the tuner metal can. thanks!
cody

Postby pascalj » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:30 am

Finally I could solve it!
There was a WLAN PCI card in one of the two PCI slots. After plugging it out the resume problem was gone. Even after plugging it into the other PCI slot (the former TV card slot) everything was working fine.
Though I still don't understand how this all can happen I'm just happy about having found a solution.
Thank you for support, cody.
pascalj

Postby Phaedra » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:07 am

I have been experiencing exactly the same problems the last weeks.
When I installed my card, scanned channels on 3 satellites via Mediaportal TV server and DVB Dream, everything worked just fine.
Until I started to experience phenomena of channel "freezing" on Mediaportal (DVB dream still functioning OK), up to the point where I would get "no signal" on any satellite, whether I try with Mediaportal or DVB Dream.
After a while it dawned on me that the "no signal" problem appears after a number of sleep/wake cycles.
Only a reboot of my PC restores everything, but I keep getting the "channel freezing" on Mediaportal.
I get no errors in the log files, but I did notice that 2 events appear in the eventlog everytime I get a channel freeze :
- the error reporting service starts/stops
- the multimedia class scheduler service starts

I recently tried yet another software (ForTheRecord), but it suffers from the same problems.
Reading this thread however points me towards card or driver problems, since it seems to be DVBsoftware-independant.
I recently upgraded to driver version 2.0.0.14, but that didn't change anything.
Should I also try to revert to an older driver, as suggested in another thread https://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=179 ?

Thanks for any help,

Phaedra

P.S. I use Windows 7 64-bit
Phaedra

Next

Return to Windows