Moderator Control Panel ]

Combined DVB-T & T2 driver released!

Combined DVB-T & T2 driver released!

Postby manaesh » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:45 pm

As on the download page.

I am compling at the moment - and will try to figure out how to use it in Myth.

If you have any successes - -please post here
manaesh

Re: Combined DVB-T & T2 driver released!

Postby briogoog » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:04 am

Looking good, I needed to delete the tuners in myth and re-setup/re-tune, but now have access to SD and HD simultaneously via the TBS6280.
Thanks
briogoog

Postby manaesh » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi All

I can confirm that I can now get both T & T2 channels at the same time with the driver.

My box needed a reboot due to a kernel update anyway, so I rebooted, updated the driver using the normal method, the rebooted again.

I then had the following in DMESG

37.124106] DVB: registering adapter 3 frontend 0 (TurboSight TBS 62x0 DVBT/T2 frontend)...

All that was needed was a quick scan in mythtv-backend setup on my tuners to reveal the 4 new HD channels that I have been waiting for! I manually added them in thier UK locations (50 - 54).

I have 2 6280 cards, and therefore 4 tuners, and I virtualrec them, having 16 virtual tuners in total. I am therefore thinking that I will not need to "dedicate" a tuner to HD, and just let mythtv sort everything out..

Watching the channels shows the good HD quality, and I have no dropouts or pixelating at the moment..

Now do I kep my 6921 Satellite card now that I can record all the HD channels?!!!

Cheers

Mike

Link to blog post on exactly how i did it http://bennettsbits.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/tbs-6280-finally-works-the-mythtv-dvb-t2-card-we-have-been-waiting-for/
manaesh

Postby stever » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Oh this is good news!!!!!!!!!

The driver compiled fine and installed.
After a reboot and retune in tvheadend, it finds all the T and T2 channels on both adapters! epic win!

Thanks!

Steve.
stever

Postby PerryM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:40 pm

I am researching a magazine article on making a MythTV PVR as an 'appliance' or set-top box for UK FreeviewHD. I have got all the hardware including a tbs 6280 card, so now the fun starts! One of the premises is that the builder has no previous experience with Linux, and I am indeed in that category!
I have managed to install MythTV via MythBuntu but I am failing miserably with the tbs 6280 drivers. I am afraid that most of the guides and instructions (including those from TBS) simply assume too much prior knowledge. (I also cannot find ANY specific 'NOTES' for the 6280 in the TBS package)
I now suspect that I might have installed the drivers in the wrong place. I started with creating the requisite folders in the /root directory - should I have in fact put them in the / directory?

To be clear - I ran the 'make' scripts and did the install, but after the reboot there is still no sign of my card being recognised by MythTV. I know the card works because I did a sneaky Windows install first!
A simple line by line install example assuming NO prior knowledge would be great.
PerryM

Postby Begall » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:26 pm

PerryM Wrote:To be clear - I ran the 'make' scripts and did the install, but after the reboot there is still no sign of my card being recognised by MythTV. I know the card works because I did a sneaky Windows install first!
A simple line by line install example assuming NO prior knowledge would be great.

I was in your position not that long ago, and it's not too tough. I followed the guide here: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TBS6280, which is still relevant for the latest drivers. Open a terminal window and copy & paste each line one at a time. I'm making the assumption that you're using some sort of 'buntu distro, but if the first step does not work, simply go onto the next as it's purely to keep things tidy:

Code: Select All Code
cd Downloads
mkdir Drivers
cd Drivers
wget http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/document/common/tbs-linux-drivers_v120212.zip
unzip tbs-linux-drivers_v120212.zip
tar xvjf linux-tbs-drivers.tar.bz2
cd linux-tbs-drivers
find -type d -exec chmod 755 \{\} \;
find -type f -exec chmod 644 \{\} \;
find -name '*.pl' -o -name '*.sh' -exec chmod 755 \{\} \;
cd v4l/scripts
sudo chmod +x make_myconfig.pl make_makefile.pl make_kconfig.pl rmmod.pl
cd ..
cd ..

Part 2 underneath...
Begall

Postby Begall » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:28 pm

At this point the following command depends on whether you are running a 32-bit OS or a 64-bit OS.

For 32-bit run:

./v4l/tbs-x86.sh

For 64-bit run:

./v4l/tbs-x86_64.sh

You should see the message "TBS drivers configured for <the one you picked> platform".

Nearly there now, next:

make

You'll see a ton of text rolling by, give it time. And once it's complete:

sudo make install

Once that has finished, reboot the system ('sudo reboot' from the command line). When it comes back, you should be able to see your adapter in MythTV. Note: If in the future you update the main Linux Kernel, you will have to reinstall the drivers.
Begall

Postby PerryM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks for that Begall. I think I have tried most of this before but I'll try again. One of the things I found most confusing is what directory I need to be in at the start? (and does it matter anyways!) The Tbs notes say that it has to be the 'root' directory but is that '/' or '/root' - it seems both are valid as the root directory and both needs root privileges which are confusing for us newbies.
Please reassure me of one thing. A 'lspci -v' gives me nothing by tbs, my only hope is an undefined 'Philips' device (Philips make tv tuners). Can somebody tell me whether I should be seeing something more specific (before the drivers are installed) so that I don't waste anymore time trying to get it working when it may be faulty.
PerryM

Postby Begall » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:01 pm

lscpi -v gives me this:

01:00.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7160 (rev 03)
Subsystem: Device 6280:0011
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at fbe00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: SAA716x TBS
Kernel modules: saa716x_tbs-dvb

If you have the parts bolded, I would assume the drivers are in fact installed.

To confirm, try:

dmesg | grep DVB

And you should get something along the following lines:

[ 5.681161] DVB: registering new adapter (SAA716x dvb adapter)
[ 6.381658] DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (TurboSight TBS 62x0 DVBT/T2 frontend)...
[ 6.381926] DVB: registering new adapter (SAA716x dvb adapter)
[ 6.465764] DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (TurboSight TBS 62x0 DVBT/T2 frontend)...

I can't be sure what you did before, but following the instructions I posted there's no need to place the drivers in any specific place, they will automatically be installed into the currently active Kernel.
Begall

Postby chris987 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:42 am

I've just put this card in a ubuntu box running mythtv and everything seems to be working ok...Not sure if this is related to updating those drivers or something else but ever since i rebooted the log file is flooded with the error below :

rc rc0: lirc_dev (ir-lirc-codec (mceusb)[0]): poll result = 65

system is ubuntu 11.10
chris987

Next

Return to Linux