Moderator Control Panel ]

How to bind TBS6284 in udev?

How to bind TBS6284 in udev?

Postby billyboy312 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Dear Forum users,

I hope that someone will be able to provide some help for me on the TBS6284 T2 quad tuner card.

I use this card along with a FireDTV S2 tuner card in mythtv 0.25 running on Linux Mint 13 both cards work really well and I have no complaints :D

However when I reboot my system the order of the devices changes randomly e.g. initial set-up may have FireDTV on adapter 0 with TBS6284 on adapter 1 to 4 then following reboot FireDTV could be on adapter 1 with TBS6284 on adapter 0, 2 to 4 etc.

This obviously confuses mythtv when it is looking for an S2 card on adapter 0 and finds a T2 card instead :!:

From the research I have done (see links below) I have established that I should be able to create symbolic links to each of the individual tuners which would fix this issue in mythtv.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Common_Probl ... conditions

The main issue here is that I cannot find any unique identifiers that would differentiate the individual tuners on the TBS6284 T2 quad tuner card when running the command:-

Code: Select All Code
udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0)

and repeating the command for adaptors 1 to 4.

Can anyone advise if there are any unique identifiers for this card that I might have missed?

I also note in the above links that for dual tuner cards with identical identifiers clever use is made of an IF - Then - ELSE statement to split out the two tuners.

Is there something similar that could be applied to quad tuner cards?

As a last option (which looks like a neater solution and would work for me) is to edit the /etc/modprobe.d/dvb.conf file and insert the line:-

options xxxx adapter_nr=101,102,103,104

Unfortunately I do not know what 'xxxx' would be for the TBS6284.

Can anyone help?

I see that some progress appears to have been made on the TBS6984 tuner card.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
billyboy312

Re: How to bind TBS6284 in udev?

Postby steven » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:35 am

Hi billyboy312

Would you mind having a look at this topic,this maybe can help you.
http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7528

Kind Regards

steven
steven

Postby billyboy312 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:54 am

Thanks Steven.

I have read through the post and come to the conclusion that my only solution will be to edit the /etc/modprobe.d/dvb.conf file and insert the line:-

options xxxx adapter_nr=101,102,103,104

where xxxx is supposed to be the name of the driver for the card.

I have tried a few combinations e.g. SAA716x, SAA7160, SAA716x TBS along with a few other variations.

I have even tried lower case versions.

Do I have the correct name for the linux driver for this card as to how it would be recognised by the operating system?

Regards
billyboy312

Postby cody » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:12 pm

tbs6284 has nothing to do with what you described - that's how 'udev' normal work is and there was broad discussion in the past about it on the V4L mailing list - you can read it here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media ... 14186.html

it contains good explanation why 'udev' assigned different number every time. so, in your particular case your 2 cards are with different vendor, i.e. their hardware IDs are different and you can use that to make 'udev' rule that fix the adapter number number based on the hardware ID, similar to the idea hare:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media ... 14357.html
cody

Postby billyboy312 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Cody.

Thanks for your response.

I tried a few variations of the methods identified in the links above but did not have any luck - I found that the method resulted in all links pointing to the same tuner and did not split up the four of them individually. This could be put down to my lack of linux experience though.

However a method that I have found that has worked and has been very stable over the last few weeks was to blacklist the FireDTV card and delay the installation of the FireDTV drivers. :D

This avoids the use of udev and ensures that the TBS6284 card is always allocated as adapter0 to 3 and the FireDTV is allocated as adapter4 as it is picked up later in the boot process.

Mythtv now operates correctly with both cards. 8-)

This was achieved by editing the following files:-

blacklist firedtv driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (only small section of file shown)
# This file lists those modules which we don't want to be loaded by
# alias expansion, usually so some other driver will be loaded for the
# device instead.

#blacklist firedtv

blacklist firedtv

etc
etc

add 'modprobe firedtv' to /etc/rc.local which will be activated a few seconds after the TBS drivers have loaded
#!/bin/sh -e
# rc.local
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
# By default this script does nothing.

modprobe firedtv

exit 0

Hopefully this will assist any others who may have found similar issues.

Regards
billyboy312

Return to Linux